User Tag List

Thread: Question - 1998 Collector's Choice 5x7 Jumbos

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question - 1998 Collector's Choice 5x7 Jumbos

Howdy all,

I found myself unsure of the following; regarding the 1998 Collector's Choice jumbo cards, what is the difference between the Cover Glory Jumbos and the retail Jumbos (of which the the first 8 cover glory cards are included)? According to some research, seems UD made a set of Cover Glory 5x7 jumbo cards, available through wrapper redemption only. It also appears UD made some retail exclusive 5x7 jumbos, inserted into blaster boxes. Seems some Cover Glory cards made it into both checklists. Is there a noticeable difference to distinguish the two from one another? Any help/guidance would be much appreciated!!

Here is the checklist of cards that seemingly have two copies. Perhaps player collectors may know? Thanks in advance guys!

1 Nomar Garciaparra

2 Roger Clemens

3 Larry Walker

4 Mike Piazza

5 Mark McGwire

6 Tony Gwynn

7 Jose Cruz Jr.

8 Frank Thomas

Cheers,
    Mark

BunchOBull
     BigHurtHOF
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have both the Cover Glory and base card 5x7s for Frank; CG is #8 and the base jumbo is the standard pack issued #60. I really don't know where the jumbo base cards are from though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BunchOBull View Post
    I have both the Cover Glory and base card 5x7s for Frank; CG is #8 and the base jumbo is the standard pack issued #60. I really don't know where the jumbo base cards are from though.
    Yeah, it seems to be a tad confusing. Here is a excerpt from baseballpedia;

Jumbos
    Cover Glory 5X7
    This over-sized set partially parallels the "Cover Glory" Series One subset (cards 1-10). The set was available exclusively from Upper Deck via a wrapper redemption offer.

Golden Jubilee 5X7
    This over-sized set partially parallels the "Golden Jubillee" Series Two subset (cards 271-279). The set was available exclusively from Upper Deck via a wrapper redemption offer.

Retail-Exclusive 5X7 Jumbos
    These cards were randomly inserted into Series One and Series Two Blaster boxes. 33 cards (including some from the StarQuest insert) were in Series One Blasters, but only ten in Series Two.

Series One
    1 Nomar Garciaparra

2 Roger Clemens

3 Larry Walker

4 Mike Piazza

5 Mark McGwire

6 Tony Gwynn

7 Jose Cruz Jr.

8 Frank Thomas

35 Andruw Jones

40 Cal Ripken

55 Ryne Sandberg

60 Frank Thomas

95 Gary Sheffield

97 Charles Johnson

145 Mike Piazza

160 Paul Molitor

180 Tino Martinez

220 Mark McGwire

225 Ken Caminiti

240 Ken Griffey Jr.

242 Jay Buhner

245 Juan Gonzalez

249 Ivan Rodriguez

SQ67 Andres Galarraga

SQ68 Rafael Palmeiro

SQ69 Manny Ramirez

SQ70 Albert Belle

SQ71 Jay Buhner

SQ72 Mo Vaughn

SQ73 Barry Bonds

SQ74 Chipper Jones

SQ75 Jeff Bagwell

SQ76 Jim Thome

Series Two
    306 Chipper Jones

321 Nomar Garciaparra

360 Larry Walker

450 Derek Jeter

463 Scott Rolen

480 Tony Gwynn

490 Barry Bonds

495 Alex Rodriguez

525 Jose Cruz Jr.

530 Roger Clemens

So, by my understanding of this, there would be a total of 3 Frank Thomas jumbo cards;
    1. Cover Glory 5x7 from the wrapper redemptions (assuming it would be #8)
    2. Retail exclusive 5x7 from retail blaster boxes, card #8 (assuming this would be the second version/release of the cover glory card, in addition to the one above through wrapper redemption)
    3. Retail exclusive 5x7 from retail blaster boxes, card #60 (which would just be a jumbo of his base card)

So I don't know if there is a difference between the first two cards I listed here, or are they simply identical ways to obtain the same cover glory jumbo? Or are they two separate cards, both jumbos of the cover glory card #8, but distinguishable by some sort of difference (maybe a hologram on the back or something similar).

For me personally, I have yet to find two versions (at least, where I was able to tell a difference) of the McGwire cover glory jumbo card #5. Ugh, so the search continues....albeit, not exactly sure what I am searching for, nor do I know if there are in fact two versions.

Your thoughts?

Cheers,
    Mark