Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

You are a Complicated, Multi-Faceted Collector ... let the world know.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
I think many of us on this board get known for collecting one certain thing, but if you're like me, you probably have a lot of layers to your collecting. So here's your chance to let us know about your complicated collecting habits and varying areas of focus. Post a top-ten list of the different aspects of your collection. It can be a player, year, set, topic, type, or anything you can narrow down. The more specific the better. Maybe someone will learn something about your "lesser" collections and see something they can help you with. That's the hope.

Here's my list:

1) Mark Grace cards, any and all
2) Don Zimmer cards, any and all
3) ***** League pack-issued certified autograph cards
4) Rabbit Maranville low-grade vintage cards
5) Hack Wilson game-used bat cards
6) Chicago Cubs pack-issued certified autograph cards, all-stars and fan favorites
7) Carl Lundgren vintage cards and memorabilia
8) Vladimir Guerrero game-used, auto and high-end insert cards, especially refractors
9) Yogi Berra game-used cards
10) Baseball sketch cards, 1/1 and pack-issued
Honorable Mention: 1972 Topps Sets (nearing completion)

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
1) sweet spot, sweet sig or game ball autos I need

2) One mitch haniger rainbow attempt per year
2017 topps and topps chrome
2018 stadium club

3) hof patches and autos

4) todays superstar autos (under 3 yrs of mlb service? not considered a superstar)

5) griffey patches or autos (have not picked up a non sweet spot auto in a long while)

Last edited:

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
1-Tim Wakefield
2-Red Sox Hall of Fame
3-Craig Biggio
4-Hammer Throw, couple people on cards and some neat early 1900s Murad tobacciana cards/silks
5-Mo Vaughn
6-Nick Gorneault-outfielder I met working at an indoor baseball facility in college, great guy, had a cup of coffee with the Angels.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
I think many of us on this board get known for collecting one certain thing, but if you're like me, you probably have a lot of layers to your collecting. So here's your chance to let us know about your complicated collecting habits and varying areas of focus. Post a top-ten list of the different aspects of your collection. It can be a player, year, set, topic, type, or anything you can narrow down. The more specific the better. Maybe someone will learn something about your "lesser" collections and see something they can help you with. That's the hope.

Here's my list:

6) Chicago Cubs pack-issued certified autograph cards, all-stars and fan favorites
8) Vladimir Guerrero game-used, auto and high-end insert cards, especially refractors

I believe I have a Don Zimmer 1962 RC if interested. Will have to check. Might have others as well. I do have a Vlad Guerrero ref auto too.

guerrero.ref.au.dp.jpg

Bernie williams
Orlando hernandez
Ny ranger hockey
Some 50s yankee players
98 tops tek bernie el duque

Sent from my iPad using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Do you need this Bernie auto /99?

williams.ref.au.15b.dp.jpg

Nice thread.

Gjb70

Aug 1, 2015
Albert Belle

Mickey Mantle

Vintage Baseball

Rookie cards - all years, all sports

Modern baseball

Modern baseball sets

Refractors

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I consider myself a true collector. I find something good in just about anything sports related, although I tend to shy away from larger items and also try to stick with flat stuff mostly. This is primarily due to space constraints, but I guess I just prefer the "paper" stuff more anyway. It is hard to compartmentalize 4 decades of "hoarding", for lack of a better term. I consider myself primarily a baseball collector, but have dabbled in just about everything else from a brief taste (non-sports), to full on overboard collecting from nothing (vintage Hockey for a while).

I had to stretch this a bit to reach 10, as the current top 3 are most of my focus these days (autographed cards, Dodgers and Garvey), but there are aspects of each that still appeal to me.

1) Player collections from the extreme to the focused dabbling - Steve Garvey, Al Oliver, Rod Carew, Frank Thomas, Greg Maddux, Albert Belle, Marshall Faulk
2) Dodgers - Anything & everything (especially autographs, postcards, team issues items, cards)
3) Raiders & Vikings in football, mostly cards, but oddball too.
4) Signed cards - Any sport, some non-sports
a) Topps all-rookie team (trophy) cards
b) All Dodger cards and players
c). Was trying to get as many AS, award winners, etc, but quickly fell behind with all the new players (nobody seems to sell the more common guys for cheap anymore, everyone is $8-12 regardless!!!).
5) Oddball, the stuff you couldn't get in packs (all sports apply here too - food issues, club exclusives, mail-ins, promotional items, test issues, team issues, boxed sets, etc)
6) Magnum PI collection (my main non-sport guilty pleasure), including memorabilia when I can find affordable pieces and building a collection of autographs from most of the main cast, reoccurring characters and a handful of "significant" bit players. It's tough getting a "late start", given the show ran until 1988 and I really didn't start trying to find stuff until the last couple of years. Lots of deceased and little known actors from that show now.
7) Unique inserts/parallels (90s stuff seems to be the best) - Dufex, acetate, lenticular, die cutting, etc. Really like the one off commemoratives, NNOs and special edition cards too.
8) Seahawks, Mariners & Sonics (Early stuff and mostly oddball from the first decade or so from each team - Schedules, brochures, team issue, SGAs, etc)
9) Vintage basketball, football & hockey to go along with mostly baseball
10) Expired redemption cards that have character, not just text and a code scratch box.

Last edited:

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Actually I'm not that complicated, just a one trick pony. All my collecting time and money goes to the Alomar PC. But what the hell, here is what my interests would be if I had more resources. This is a good thread.

- Robbie Alomar
- Dave Parker
- Greg Maddux
- 1993 Donruss Elite & Elite Jumbo (these are attainable - I might actually get into them at some point)
- 1997 Fleer Showcase Legacy
- Some of the more colorful vintage sets, like 1933 Goudey or 1941 Play Ball for example
- One example card from every regular issue and insert set from the super sweet insert era, say 1993-2005.
...and at the very, very bottom of the list would be 1997 Pacific Card Supials

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA

Here's my list:

iirc didn't you also collect vintage baseball books?

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Fun thread.

Primary areas of collecting:
1) Lineup cards - HOF managers, important games and lineup cards from WS season
2) Jackie Robinson/Integration-related items
3) WWII-baseball related items
4) ***** League/Mexican League/Puerto Rican League Contracts
5) Rookie Autographs

Also occasionally pick up:
5) ***** League autographs
6) In theory going for the 2000 UD Patch 1/1 set (have 2 and they basically never turn up, but I keep an eye out for them)
7) Vintage RC's - Picked up a couple of Al Simmons 23-24 Exhibit RC's and a 39 Ted Williams RC over the year or so
8) I feel like I'd like to pick up some of the cards that were big in the 90's when I started collecting, but haven't really done so. I'd love to pick up a 1999 Stadium Club Co-Signers Quad auto

Kid4hof03

Jan 10, 2014
Burlington, NJ
1. Gary Carter--anything and everything
2. Roger Staubach--anything and everything
3. Curtis Martin--all cards, playing years
4. Bernie Williams--all cards, playing years
5. Basketball 1960's-1980's
6. Dallas Cowboys team sets 1960-1995
7. Gale Sayers cards
8. Sports advertising pieces
9. Yankees display items and oddball pieces
10. University of Virginia basketball
11. Other stuff that grabs my attention at the moment

caster513

Jul 16, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
Fun to see what everyone else is into besides their main PCs.

Kenny Lofton - Everything
Joey Votto - Low #d Autos/Inserts
2008 Upper Deck Masterpieces - Color framed parallels, Patch & Jersey/Autos
1990's Insert sets - Master Craftsmen, Elite Status, White Hot, Gallery of Heroes, etc. etc.
Chipper Jones - Rare 90's inserts

Been working on these sets, pick them every so often.
1998 SP Authentic Chirography Autos
2000 Legendary Signatures Autos

mhcook

Feb 22, 2011
Mark McGwire autos 2002-2004 all, 2014-present only on card and it has to be unique or special in some way or 1/1, except Dynasty which I'm doing the /10 set for each year.

University of Memphis players in their Memphis uniform - autos and memorabilia cards. A few players I just have whatever from their rookie season if they don't have cards in Memphis uniform. I continue to narrow this and this year have limited it to on card autos and just get the rarest version of each I can (also 1/1 base).

USA Olympic gold medal winners - the first on card auto they have (I've excluded basketball from this).

UFC Hall of Fame - first auto and first on card auto of each member.

Celebrities first on card auto, this is limited to celebrities that are significant to me for whatever reason

I have a few other random collections, but I think this is pretty good picture of how all over the place I am.

Peter Max 1997 Topps Gallery autographed set, both baseball and football

Sent from my SM-N950U using Freedom Card Board mobile app

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
6) Magnum PI collection (my main non-sport guilty pleasure), including memorabilia when I can find affordable pieces and building a collection of autographs from most of the main cast, reoccurring characters and a handful of "significant" bit players. It's tough getting a "late start", given the show ran until 1988 and I really didn't start trying to find stuff until the last couple of years. Lots of deceased and little known actors from that show now.

This is the greatest thing I've learned in this thread! Fun little collection!

Hendersonfan

May 2, 2011
Buckeye Country
- Rickey Henderson cards and memorabilia (no longer buying)
- Rickey Henderson jerseys (about 80 and not many left to find) not game worn, but authentic
- License plates from any year or any state to hang on wall ln my garage
- issues of Sports Illustrated featuring Ohio State football from 2002 until now. All are framed.
- Bricks from all around Ohio and surrounding states. Have about 30 different makers. Put them in the flower beds.

Aug 7, 2008
Tampa, FL
Awesome thread!

Marriage over the last year has limited my time here and limited my pickups, but still rolling along here and there as I start to send most of my non-PC to COMC.

Here’s stuff I’m always looking for-

* Anything and everything Bobby Doerr

Most Wanted: 1975 House Of Jazz #6 & 1960 Rawlings Glove Tag #6

* Matt Joyce (went to school at Florida Southern with him) Cards & Game Used

Most Wanted Non-1/1: 2009 O-Pee-Chee Black Blank Back #464

* Lance Niekro (Florida Southern Alum and current FSC baseball coach) Cards & Game Used

Most Wanted Non-1/1:
2004 Fleer Sweet Sigs Autograph Gold (#/30),
2006 Topps Blue #414,
2006 Upper Deck F/X Blue #393

*Felix Jose- trying to get 100% card completion

*Sam Horn- trying to get 100% card completion

*Glenn Murray- trying to get 100% card completion

Jose, Horn, and Murray all played for the Nashua Pride during the time I worked there. Thus, the next item...

* Nashua Pride & Nashua Dodgers Cards, memorabilia and related items

* Political Cards- currently trying to complete 2008 Topps Campaign Letterman Patches

* New Hampshire politics memorabilia, especially evolving Kennedy, Reagan & Romney

*1992-1996 Shaquille O’Neal Cards in a Orlando Magic uniform

* Umpire Cards, especially 2004 Bowman Heritage

*Red Sox- especially Pesky, Birdie Tebbetts, Varitek, Nomar and Mo Vaughn

Thanks,
Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

Members online