Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Mystery Solved! 1955 Yankees US Tour lineup card

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Hey all, super pumped to finally get a vintage Yankees lineup card from the Stengel era. Doesn’t have Mantle in the lineup but features Berra and is from the heart of the Yankees dynasty.

Here’s the issue though - the lineup shown doesn’t match any game from 1955 or 1956. This leads me to consider 3 options:

1) it was from a Spring Training game
2) it was a lineup that was written up but hanged before the actual game
3) it was a lineup from the Yankees tour of Japan

I would love to see if I can find a game that matches the lineup shown from either ST or Japan. Every player shown played on the team in Japan and Mantle did not play for the 2nd half of the tour so I think it’s a reasonably possibility.

Any help would be awesome in locating box scores from either ST or the Japan trio from 1955.

IMG_4893.JPGIMG_4894.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
I don't see Martin playing SS or Howard playing RF during the 1955 Regular Season.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Freedom Card Board mobile app

It's definitely not from a regular season game (unless the lineup was adjusted before game-time). Question is whether it is from a ST game or a game in Japan. I'm hoping to be able to dig up the lineups from the series in Japan. Not sure whether that will be easy/hard to do...

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
It's definitely not from a regular season game (unless the lineup was adjusted before game-time). Question is whether it is from a ST game or a game in Japan. I'm hoping to be able to dig up the lineups from the series in Japan. Not sure whether that will be easy/hard to do...
I should have finished my thought... Being that neither played that position at all in the regular season, it's a lil odd that both played those positions at any other point in the same game. I'll try to do a lil more research tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Freedom Card Board mobile app

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
Martin missed most of 1955 due to his military service. He didn't join the team until September, so the card isn't from Spring Training. According to Baseball Reference, he played 3 games at SS that year, which were his first three games back. If the lineups are correct on the site, he didn't lead off any of those three games (Sept 2-4).

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
Ah, I think I found it. The Yankees played a 5 game series in Hawaii on their way to Japan. The lineup card matches the box score from their 12 October 1955 game versus the Hawaii Red Sox.
boxscore.JPG

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
Ah, I think I found it. The Yankees played a 5 game series in Hawaii on their way to Japan. The lineup card matches the box score from their 12 October 1955 game versus the Hawaii Red Sox.
View attachment 83458

That is amazing! Great catch on Martin. I had forgotten about the war. Would you be able to send me a link to where I can find the boxscore? Thanks!

Members online

Latest posts