User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Really liking the 2012 Topps GM autograph set

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember seeing this card when it first came out and dismissed it as something I would not want. I mean, the photo doesn't exactly shout sports, but more like a retirement home candid shot. I don't know if there is a certified copy, but there were some TTM copies floating around. Now, it is something I wish I had picked up.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	31MBOAkusgL.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	14.6 KB 
ID:	83666

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
    I remember seeing this card when it first came out and dismissed it as something I would not want. I mean, the photo doesn't exactly shout sports, but more like a retirement home candid shot. I don't know if there is a certified copy, but there were some TTM copies floating around. Now, it is something I wish I had picked up.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	31MBOAkusgL.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	14.6 KB 
ID:	83666
    There is a certified as well, but I remember it being crazy expensive.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really liking the 2012 Topps GM autograph set

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Bombjack View Post
    I've never seen that 2001 manager set before. The Pinella and Oates on eBay are sweet (and their prices reflect that).
    I have a copy of the Oates. As a Rangers fan, it is one of my favorite cards in my collection.

One sold on August 28 for $80 with shipping. Thatís probably 3 to 4 times what I paid back in 2001. A beautiful card from a beautiful subset.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board
    Last edited by deaconblues63; 10-05-2018 at 04:35 PM.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a lot closer to a realistic price for me personally, but there is one listed now and I think it is around $150.

Oates had a decent stretch as a Manager, which may have added to his popularity. He was not much of a player and bounced around a fair bit. Dying at 58 helps drive the price and he has no other certified autograph that I am aware of, but then again a lot of players and managers don't have ANY certified autos at all either.

I would love to have one because he was a Dodger for a short stint, but I doubt I'd pay more than $40-50 for one. I have all of his Dodger cards signed TTM/IP, but it is always fun to have a certified copy too of any former Dodger player/coach/manager and especially cool if it is actually a Dodger card. This is one area where a sticker autograph can prove quite useful! Design a nice card after a player has died and you can make it for any team he was affiliated with.

Quote Originally Posted by deaconblues63 View Post
    I have a copy of the Oates. As a Rangers fan, it is one of my favorite cards in my collection.

One sold on August 28 for $80 with shipping. That’s probably 3 to 4 times what I paid back in 2001. A beautiful card from a beautiful subset.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This subject came up on another site, sort of. Got me thinking again about the non-player autos. 2018 archives had a lame selection mostly, but 2019 has gone live recently with a new batch including Ken Burns, Mets GM, a few more umpires, a doctor (which seems to be really popular right now) and a few others. Jery Remy is selling strong too, which I can't comprehend why, but oh well.

I also like that 1970 Heritage Bud Selig auto card. It too has been selling for way more than I think it is worth. $100 for that card, even if there were only 100 copies, is just stupid.

I did end up getting the 2001 Oates finally too. Think it was under $40, but don't recall now. Still love these non-player options much better than a prospect who will never produce or a non-sport related issue (like music, tv, etc).

griffey-collector
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    nice!

still looking for a few names from this set

Sweet Spot Signatures 922 and counting
    Sweet Sigs 64/71 = 90%

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just curious, how badly were you affected by the junky materials that UD used on one or more of their Sweet Spot sets? I have gone back and seen a good number of the plain baseball cards fading/bleeding badly. Luckily it was only 1 year for me I believe and only Garvey cards (with 1 exception), but still I have a dozen or more that are slowly fading into nothing!

Can't recall if it was the same set, but I also got burned with a Mike Marshall golve card that is also disappearing before my eyes! That one hurts the most.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelstepper View Post
    nice!

still looking for a few names from this set

griffey-collector
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
    Just curious, how badly were you affected by the junky materials that UD used on one or more of their Sweet Spot sets? I have gone back and seen a good number of the plain baseball cards fading/bleeding badly. Luckily it was only 1 year for me I believe and only Garvey cards (with 1 exception), but still I have a dozen or more that are slowly fading into nothing!

Can't recall if it was the same set, but I also got burned with a Mike Marshall golve card that is also disappearing before my eyes! That one hurts the most.
    Typically of if it hasnt faded or started to bleed by now I've found they are good. 2007 was the super bad year for the baseball skin as they switched. you will find one occasionly from other years and for whatever reason it's mostly the glove autos in previous years. I had a faded marshal baseball skin as a placeholder until I found a good one. while sweet spot has a bad rep for fading I'd say less than 5% of non 2007 autos have this issue. 2007 you have to go to the bat barrel or silver/gold ink autos
    Sweet Spot Signatures 922 and counting
    Sweet Sigs 64/71 = 90%

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12