Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Really liking the 2012 Topps GM autograph set

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
When I started diving deeper into Dodger autographs several years back, I was happy to learn that then Dodgers GM Ned Colletti was part of an interesting autograph set from Topps. I found one at a good price and thought what a neat concept. Now, prior to building this extended autograph collection, I might have felt slighted if I had pulled a GM autograph, especially one from a team I had no interest in. I can see how this may be considered the "checklist" of autographed cards. No kid ever actually wanted a checklist card, right?

Moving forward a few years and Colletti is out and the Dodger hire Andrew Friedman to be President of Baseball operations. Wouldn't you know it, Friedman is in this set as well, albeit as a Devil Ray GM. Still, another certified autograph of a Dodgers executive that would otherwise be nearly impossible to get otherwise. It took me a little while to find one at a good price, but finally landed it.

Tonight, I am updating my Dodgers personnel spreadsheet to include the newest additions from 2018. I decided to see if any new coaches or others (front office) changes occurred that would add some additional signature targets. I stumble upon Josh Byrnes, who has been VP of Baseball Operation for the Dodgers since he left the Padres in 2014. Yep, you guessed it. Byrnes was also in the set as the Padres GM. I snagged one off COMC to add a third Dodger executive certified autograph to the collection.

Will this set keep giving? Only time will tell.

I've said it before and especially since my interest in organizational autographs expands further, I wish the card makers would continue to dive down and bring more creativity to the autograph game. We have an endless supply of Garvey, Lopes and Sutton autographs to last a lifetime. Let's see more managers, coaches, announcers, executives, owners, etc. I really think that is a neat twist to collecting signatures. There are some great possibilities out there, past and present, like the Archives sets.

s-l1600.jpg72449-AGM-AFFr.jpgs-l1600-1.jpg

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
I did t even know this was a thing. pretty cool though
the 2001 sweet spot set had a few managers tossed in.

also I believe its was 2000 topps opening day with the game used bases is full of or all managers. I have the Bobby cox is the only reason I know.

Last edited:

mhcook

Feb 22, 2011
I think they miss a great opportunity in all sports to include kinds of random autographs. For baseball I don't know why they don't include all of the manager autos in base Topps and add random figures to Ginter. How much cooler would it be to have a Vin Scully or Theo Epstein from early in their career or a HOF manager RC auto. Obviously there are plenty that would ultimately be garbage, but we have no shortage of garbage autos in every product.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Freedom Card Board mobile app

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I remember when UD put a Brian Cashman auto card in some set, I think that big Yankees-focused set from 2008 or so. The same one that had John Goodman and Jason Alexander. I thought it was weird but also a pretty neat idea. I didn't know this set existed, either. But certainly they have long careers, potentially, so decades from now there could be notable guys.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I wish the card makers would continue to dive down and bring more creativity to the autograph game.

don't mention "scout autos". :D

I personally wish there were more announcer autos. I know Vin Scully has autos but his popularity plus extremely limited supply make them well out of my price range so my announcer autos are those announcers who were players and have certified autos from their playing days or as team fan favorites as a retired player.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
I liked the umpire autos in 2004 Bowman Heritage, ended up collecting most of the set because they were so cheap (which is why I think most people didn't like the set, or at least they were bummed to pull one).

attachment.php

Last edited:

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
I did t even know this was a thing. pretty cool though
the 2001 sweet spot set had a few managers tossed in.

also I believe its was 2000 topps opening day with the game used bases is full of or all managers. I have the Bobby cox is the only reason I know.
2002 Topps flagship had a really cool Coaches' Collection subset, with GU bats and jerseys of managers and coaches. They have a picture of the guy with his current team, as well as an image of card from playing days. I've been slowly building the set over the years.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
Here is a Managers auto set I thought about doing.. Everytime I see one, I see how much these guys want and say no..
Then I look at the completed ones and I think about doing them again..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-Topps-Base-Hit-Auto-Lou-Piniella-Base-Relic/283178293080?hash=item41eebdd758:g:QhQAAOSwNJ9ZteBW

View attachment 83630

that's the set I was talking about!
I have Cox. absolutely beautiful card. I've thought several times of snagging that piniella but always so expensive.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
I've never seen that 2001 manager set before. The Pinella and Oates on eBay are sweet (and their prices reflect that).

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I remember seeing that Oaters a while back. Of course, him dying has made that card that much more desirable, but they seem to be tough in general. I am speaking strictly from a collector standpoint, which is why I added the checklist comment. I know people busting packs for resale don't want the weird random crap unless it sells well.

I agree about Vin of course and won't pay several hundred for one, so he is out of my range.

Some of the "cooler" non player autos for me over the years have been Eric Gregg, Sy Berger, Marvin Miller, Stuart Scott and the 2017 Archives set got me re interested in that type of subject. There was Lasorda (manager), Hirschbeck & Joyce (Umps), Castiglione, Sterling and Brennaman (announcers), Manfred and Clark (MLB), Bayless, Rosenthal, Gammons, Cohen (think these were all writers/media guys) and then the fans (Bald Vinny & Hample). This year the other subjects are less exciting, but may add a James, Thorn and Kay if the prices are right.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I remember seeing this card when it first came out and dismissed it as something I would not want. I mean, the photo doesn't exactly shout sports, but more like a retirement home candid shot. I don't know if there is a certified copy, but there were some TTM copies floating around. Now, it is something I wish I had picked up.31MBOAkusgL.jpg

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
I remember seeing this card when it first came out and dismissed it as something I would not want. I mean, the photo doesn't exactly shout sports, but more like a retirement home candid shot. I don't know if there is a certified copy, but there were some TTM copies floating around. Now, it is something I wish I had picked up.View attachment 83666

There is a certified as well, but I remember it being crazy expensive.

deaconblues63

Oct 25, 2012
I've never seen that 2001 manager set before. The Pinella and Oates on eBay are sweet (and their prices reflect that).

I have a copy of the Oates. As a Rangers fan, it is one of my favorite cards in my collection.

One sold on August 28 for $80 with shipping. That’s probably 3 to 4 times what I paid back in 2001. A beautiful card from a beautiful subset.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

Last edited:

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
That is a lot closer to a realistic price for me personally, but there is one listed now and I think it is around $150.

Oates had a decent stretch as a Manager, which may have added to his popularity. He was not much of a player and bounced around a fair bit. Dying at 58 helps drive the price and he has no other certified autograph that I am aware of, but then again a lot of players and managers don't have ANY certified autos at all either.

I would love to have one because he was a Dodger for a short stint, but I doubt I'd pay more than $40-50 for one. I have all of his Dodger cards signed TTM/IP, but it is always fun to have a certified copy too of any former Dodger player/coach/manager and especially cool if it is actually a Dodger card. This is one area where a sticker autograph can prove quite useful! Design a nice card after a player has died and you can make it for any team he was affiliated with.

I have a copy of the Oates. As a Rangers fan, it is one of my favorite cards in my collection.

One sold on August 28 for $80 with shipping. That’s probably 3 to 4 times what I paid back in 2001. A beautiful card from a beautiful subset.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
This subject came up on another site, sort of. Got me thinking again about the non-player autos. 2018 archives had a lame selection mostly, but 2019 has gone live recently with a new batch including Ken Burns, Mets GM, a few more umpires, a doctor (which seems to be really popular right now) and a few others. Jery Remy is selling strong too, which I can't comprehend why, but oh well.

I also like that 1970 Heritage Bud Selig auto card. It too has been selling for way more than I think it is worth. $100 for that card, even if there were only 100 copies, is just stupid.

I did end up getting the 2001 Oates finally too. Think it was under $40, but don't recall now. Still love these non-player options much better than a prospect who will never produce or a non-sport related issue (like music, tv, etc).

Members online