Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Best Offers Within eBay Auctions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Sorry if this was posted already, but I noticed some auctions contain Best Offers.

According to the eBay message boards, a Customer Rep said:

"eBay applies Best Offer to over-priced listings to help increase their chances of selling. Best Offer is applied to auctions when the start price exceeds the recommended Buy it Now price. This only applies to Auctions, it does not apply to Auctions with a Buy it Now price. The trending price and recommended Buy it Now price is based on prices of similar listings sold on eBay over the past 90 days. Listings where the seller-selected auction start price is greater than the trending price are considered overpriced and will have Best Offer applied. Moving on, we currently do not have a way for sellers to remove Best Offer from auction listings. However, based on the Best Offer logic, if you reduce your auction start price to the recommended Buy it Now price or below, Best Offer will no longer appear on your listing. On the other hand, if you receive an offer that you don’t want to accept there are a few options. You may reject the offer outright, counter the offer with a price that you would accept, or ignore the offer. If ignored, the offer will expire after 48 hours. I trust the information I have provided is helpful on your concern.

I appreciate your diligence on this matter, as well as the way you were so up-front about all that occurred. Thank you for choosing eBay Y and I wish you all the best with selling on eBay."

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selli...t-showing-up-on-auctions/td-p/27593516/page/4

Which means, eBay now gets to dictate what's overpriced. :(

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
eBay's been pissing me off with their new Best Offer rules.
They now automatically add Best Offer to your non-auction Buy it Nows after ten days even if you don't want it. eBay sends you a message saying, "Good news! Now your items have a better chance of selling!"

I woke up this morning to three ridiculous offers on video games I'm selling. I sell games and cards for equal or below the lowest current selling price and have free shipping, so I don't want offers since they're almost always insultingly low. But eBay now automatically adds them to your Buy it Nows after ten days, and you have to go change them all back. Not a huge hassle, but intrusive and annoying.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I think the only time a BIN or BO is a good thing as a buyer is if you are the first one to find it! As a long time buyer, I have seen a number of nice deals ended before I get a chance to bid or offer on them and in many cases, I would have paid more than the sale price. People are sometimes a little too quick to sell.

As I have recently begun to sell more items, I do like to use the BO option. However, I have started things maybe a little North of what I think they will go for and hope that either someone does use BIN for the full price or offers a fair amount off the asking price, but I will never take any low offer personally. Some sellers need to get off their high horses and either stop using BO or respond to their damn offers! Sometimes buyers are just stupid with their offers, but that is not a buyer issue alone! Maybe some of those "low ball" offers are fair considering your "ridiculous" BIN prices!

Letch77

Jan 28, 2018
Midwest
I think the only time a BIN or BO is a good thing as a buyer is if you are the first one to find it! As a long time buyer, I have seen a number of nice deals ended before I get a chance to bid or offer on them and in many cases, I would have paid more than the sale price. People are sometimes a little too quick to sell.

As I have recently begun to sell more items, I do like to use the BO option. However, I have started things maybe a little North of what I think they will go for and hope that either someone does use BIN for the full price or offers a fair amount off the asking price, but I will never take any low offer personally. Some sellers need to get off their high horses and either stop using BO or respond to their damn offers! Sometimes buyers are just stupid with their offers, but that is not a buyer issue alone! Maybe some of those "low ball" offers are fair considering your "ridiculous" BIN prices!

AMEN!!!

It's ironic that when a seller has a ridiculously high BIN, it's chalked up as "whatever they want to charge for it". Yet when a buyer makes a crazy low offer, they're "insulting" the seller. Just decline the offer and get on with the rest of your day...that's what I do.

Randy Shields

Aug 20, 2008
OH-IO
This policy is in direct conflict with a player who is absolutely on fire and his cards spike at a phenomenal rate. I think everyone knows at that point going back 90 days has absolutely nothing to do with the current sale of that particular player's card.
Other than that I really love the way eBay always tries to "help us"...smh..

Sent from my SM-G930V using Freedom Card Board mobile app

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Other than that I really love the way eBay always tries to "help us"...smh..

they just want more crap and trash to sell so they can collect their fees. ;)

Good news is that BO seems to have a setting so if anyone lowballs you, you won't get a communication to accept/decline but you can see there was an offer attempted. I list mine with BIN and set the BO for a certain percent discount to make sure I get a communication with a reasonable BO.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Well this explains a lot. I've been seeing BO's pop up on auctions with a fair start price. To me as a buyer, this signals that the seller will take less than the starting bid though and I might get a deal or at least a little savings. But lately most of my BO's have been turned down, even when at 80%-90% of asking price - which in the past usually was accepted on BO's. But now I understand why. The seller didn't make that choice to put a BO offer on their auction, eBay did it. I don't like that, think it hurts the buyer's position not knowing if the seller made the decision to have a BO on their own, or if eBay made it for them.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
Sometimes when i sell at auction i start at the lowest price i will take for a card. Mostly with lower end stuff. so if i get a offer lower that my starting price, it doesnt pay to counter the offer with my starting price the bidder wont understand.

Members online