Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ron Darling uses slur in reference to Masahiro Tanaka

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
I hate it that we can't even play the game or refer to a football pass rusher trying to the "smear the ...." when talking about going after a sack because the accepted phrase contains now-offensive slang reference to people of a certain sexual orientation.

Are you talking about "Smear The *****"? I haven't heard that term used in years (but I do live in a more civilized part of the country than some others). Back when I was in high school, a few guys from the football team decided to play an actual game of "smear the *****" with a kid they thought was gay. It was the mid 90's, so I don't remember all the details, but he lost more than 20 teeth, almost lost an eye, and ended up two inches shorter because of vertebral damage. Kids were barely punished, because FOOTBALL, the town newspaper didn't cover the story (because FOOTBALL), and the poor kid wasn't even gay. But yeah, violence against people who are different is awesome! Let's celebrate it (I'm assuming you were being ironic because last time I checked, it wasn't 1974 in deep rural Mississippi) and cry when the "PC police" comes after us!

Anyways, 99% of the time people cry about PC, it's them being upset that modern society won't let them say terrible things. This Darling thing is maybe one of the 1% that isn't, and that's only because he went to Yale and should be smart enough to use the correct racial slurs when necessary.

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
lets not forget when fixing morter in brick work and when making a log cabin the packing between the logs is called "Chinking"

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
Are you talking about "Smear The *****"? I haven't heard that term used in years (but I do live in a more civilized part of the country than some others). Back when I was in high school, a few guys from the football team decided to play an actual game of "smear the *****" with a kid they thought was gay. It was the mid 90's, so I don't remember all the details, but he lost more than 20 teeth, almost lost an eye, and ended up two inches shorter because of vertebral damage. Kids were barely punished, because FOOTBALL, the town newspaper didn't cover the story (because FOOTBALL), and the poor kid wasn't even gay. But yeah, violence against people who are different is awesome! Let's celebrate it (I'm assuming you were being ironic because last time I checked, it wasn't 1974 in deep rural Mississippi) and cry when the "PC police" comes after us!

Anyways, 99% of the time people cry about PC, it's them being upset that modern society won't let them say terrible things. This Darling thing is maybe one of the 1% that isn't, and that's only because he went to Yale and should be smart enough to use the correct racial slurs when necessary.

Mr. Slave liked it. lol
https://youtu.be/BOM7udiiJvU

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Back when I was in high school, a few guys from the football team decided to play an actual game of "smear the *****" with a kid they thought was gay. It was the mid 90's, so I don't remember all the details, but he lost more than 20 teeth, almost lost an eye

my playground and high school days were the late 70's/1980's and I didn't live in the bible-thumping south so that phrase was not offensive at the time or region of the U.S.

Last edited:

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
This Ron Darling thing is insane. ***** is one of the zillion English words that have multiple meanings. Calling Tanaka a *****? Not cool. Saying there's a ***** in his armor? There's not even anything here to comment on. It was an appropriate use of a standard phrase to describe a situation.

Que*r is one of those words too. I grew up in the 80's (in Denver) and we played smear the que*r all the time. And even then, we knew exactly what the word meant in that context. Whoever had the bad fortune to be designated as the que*r was gay, and therefore we ganged up on him. Simple as that. But at the same time the phrase wasn't offensive - at least to us anyway. I never gave it a second thought, and as far as I knew our parents didn't give a damn either. The good news is that at least on our playgrounds we never actually beat the hell out of anyone!

I have a different opinion these days, mostly because I actually know a few gay people. Turns out being gay isn't a good reason to beat somebody up! Who knew?!? :)

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
This Ron Darling thing is insane. ***** is one of the zillion English words that have multiple meanings. Calling Tanaka a *****? Not cool. Saying there's a ***** in his armor? There's not even anything here to comment on. It was an appropriate use of a standard phrase to describe a situation.

Que*r is one of those words too. I grew up in the 80's (in Denver) and we played smear the que*r all the time. And even then, we knew exactly what the word meant in that context. Whoever had the bad fortune to be designated as the que*r was gay, and therefore we ganged up on him. Simple as that. But at the same time the phrase wasn't offensive - at least to us anyway. I never gave it a second thought, and as far as I knew our parents didn't give a damn either. The good news is that at least on our playgrounds we never actually beat the hell out of anyone!

I have a different opinion these days, mostly because I actually know a few gay people. Turns out being gay isn't a good reason to beat somebody up! Who knew?!? :)

Yeah, back in the day nobody really batted an eye when hearing that phrase. Same with words like f** that were simply used to insult others. These profane words all meant one thing (homosexual) but *most* people who used them where I grew up simply intended them as insults towards straight friends, enemies, etc., not people who were actually homosexual.

I'm a very uncensored person who is the furthest thing from a highly PC progressive activist but in this instance I'm glad society as a whole has begun to shun the usage of these words (homosexual slang) as they are highly offensive to gay people, especially when used towards them. I have a brother and a sister who are homosexual but even without having family members who are gay I'd still feel the same about those words. It's just pretty f***ed up, like calling a black person the n word.

While I may say some of the most f**ked up $hit on message boards (and sorta irl too) there are still plenty of offensive slang words I shy away from ever using like most decent human beings would.

But it's stupid $hit like this article that get to me. It's just way over the top PC nonsense where nobody was actually offended but the media felt the need to stir $hit up for no reason.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
What's incredibly stupid about this nonsense is that the people "outraged" don't realize that Darling himself is part Chinese. His mother is Hawaiian/Chinese.

Latest posts