Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

League alignment and the Dodgers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
This is probably not anywhere near anyone's mind but mine, but I am feeling quite weird about some of the Dodger match ups I have seen. Especially those in the last 2 seasons. Aside from their move from Brooklyn in 1958 or the creation of the West & East divisions in 1969 (which were before my time), the first real shake up I can remember was the realignment of the divisions in 1994.

West Division (1969-1992)
Atlanta Braves
Cincinnati Reds
Houston Astros
Los Angeles Dodgers
San Diego Padres
San Francisco Giants

The Rockies were added in 1993 for one season, then this happened in 1994. All of the sudden, long time divisional rivals The Reds and The Braves were no longer when the NL Central was born:

West Division (1994-1997)
Colorado Rockies
Los Angeles Dodgers
San Diego Padres
San Francisco Giants

It makes more sense, considering the Braves & Reds were about as far away from the West as a NL team could get, but still...think of the great rivalries that were now lost.

The Diamond Backs showed up in 1998 and joined the West, but then Milwaukee also joins the NL!

West Division (1998-Present)
Arizona Diamondbacks
Colorado Rockies
Los Angeles Dodgers
San Diego Padres
San Francisco Giants

Finally, 2013 the Astros go to the AL!

This brings me back to the weirdness I am feeling. Last year, I was watching the Dodgers eventually lose to former NL West rivals and long time NL club, now an AL club, The Houston Astros in the World Series. This year, I see the NLDS series come down to facing former NL West rivals, the Atlanta Braves. After the Dodgers take care of Atlanta, they now have to face Milwaukee in the NLCS, a long time AL team! There is even still a chance, we could see another Houston v. LA Series. Obviously I hope the Dodger prevail but would like to see a rematch of the legendary pairing seen many times in the past, Yankees v. Dodgers! We have not seen that match-up since 1981.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
How long have the Astros been in the AL now? Because I feel like I still have to correct my thinking about which league they’re in at least twice a month. Guess it was easier with the Brewers cuz they’re my team

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
This is how it should be. Stop all the BS and put all the California teams in the same division.
AL West
Dodgers
Giants
A's
Angels
Padres

NL West
Rockies
Astros
Rangers
Diamondbacks
Mariners

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
This is how it should be. Stop all the BS and put all the California teams in the same division.
AL West
Dodgers
Giants
A's
Angels
Padres

NL West
Rockies
Astros
Rangers
Diamondbacks
Mariners

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
or just get rid of divisions and do it spring training style. Top 3 best records in each league automatically advance to playoffs, teams 4 and 5 are the one-game wildcard play-in teams.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Not sure I could handle that. With all the changes, it is nice to know the Dodgers always have been and hopefully always will be a NL team. Switch the two columns and maybe...

AL West
Dodgers
Giants
A's
Angels
Padres

NL West
Rockies
Astros
Rangers
Diamondbacks
Mariners