User Tag List

Thread: Any fellow fans of Gummy Arts cards?

gracecollector
    Mentioned
    285 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any fellow fans of Gummy Arts cards?

This is artist Mike Noren. He's a Chicagoan, and a baseball, music and pop culture fan with a unique, fun style. If you're a fan of 1970s and 80s baseball, his work might strike a chord with you, as it has me. Note: I'm just a fan of his work, not getting paid to promote him or anything - thought some board members would enjoy his creations.

Mike's pet project, Gummy Arts, brings back tons of memories for those who busted 25 and 50 cent Topps packs back in the day. His Instagram and Twitter feeds are must follows for fans of that era's cardboard. I love seeing Mike's artwork for the day's baseball birthdays on these feeds. His cartoonish style coupled with the designs of my childhood always put a smile on my face.

In 2018, Mike issued 9-card packs of 51 of his works. It can be hard to get these packs, as they often sell out soon after he announces a batch is available via his Twitter account, and he doesn't make a lot of them. I recently got lucky and was able to order a couple of packs. The cards themselves are printed and hand cut to resemble well-loved cards, with irregular borders and roughed up corners. It's all part of the throwback feel of collecting when not everything was about perfect condition cards and toploaders. They arrive in a belly-banded pack. The backs are blank, save for a small Gummy Arts stamp. Each pack includes a 10th card checklist. There's a subset of "Famous Baseball Fights" - I got a Tommy Lasorda - Phillie Phanatic one and I first discovered Mike because of his Pedro Martinez - Don Zimmer fight card listed on eBay. Here's what two packs yielded me:

Anyway, I encourage you to check out and subscribe to Mike's feeds - and hope they bring you as much joy as they do for me. And here's a few links to articles about Mike and his project you might enjoy:

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/h...style-by-hand/

https://www.80sbaseball.com/gummy-arts/

If anyone has bought Gummy Arts cards and is interested in trading, let me know.
    Last edited by gracecollector; 10-29-2018 at 03:34 PM.

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Follow him on social media and I do love his work. Really want to order myself a T-shirt from him one of these days

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board
    SCREW PHOTOBUCKET
    Jeff Cirillo Spread Sheet ||
    Hall of Unending Gratitude: dazed, magicpapa, uniquebaseballcards, and the vigilant eye of tonsofcommons

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like them. I don't suppose he has made a Garvey card yet? Given what Garv did to the Cubs back in '84, maybe he is sore about that! Not $5 per card cool, as that seems to be the average eBay price for singles, but still neat.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like a good art card now and then, and these have personality to them. If he ever does one of Alomar I'd get a copy for sure.
    Collecting Roberto Alomar. Over 4000 unique cards, but always looking for those I'm missing!

blueberry_12
     Big_Daddy_MC
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I follow him on Twitter and love them as well. He has done a Justice (my PC) but not made it available as a card. I'd love to own his original but I ask and he wasn't interested in parting with it.

gracecollector
    Mentioned
    285 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
    I like them. I don't suppose he has made a Garvey card yet? Given what Garv did to the Cubs back in '84, maybe he is sore about that! Not $5 per card cool, as that seems to be the average eBay price for singles, but still neat.
    He has done a lot of cards for his website https://cecilcooperstown.tumblr.com/ - a "hall of very good and not so good" type players. Unfortunately it's not very easy to search, but if you go to the menu and choose Archive you see all the cards. Here's his Garvery.

Unfortunately, most his works are not for sale. He's done a Grace and a couple of Don Zimmer cards I'd love to have, but they're not for sale. And I asked about doing custom cards but he wasn't interested. He's just started releasing the pack cards though, so I guess there is hope. His twitter account says his 2019 checklist is coming soon.

joey_baseball
     joey12524
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like the Patti Smith and the Ramones,

Featured Contributor
    Bridging the Gap
    Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think they are really neat!
    Tanner Jones, Author of Confessions of a Baseball Card Addict - Now Available on Amazon!
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23 - Questions about this? PM ME!

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not sure what exact image brought me back to this, but came across some gummy arts cards on ebay. I spent some time checking out his images again. This is a really cool set of art/cards and a lot make me laugh. Thought I would bump it in case some poeple were not aware.

He should consider doing a book like Baseball Card Vandals did, highlighting his work so that fans can have a nice image of his work for their collection (along with the cards he has apparently sold too).

I would probably buy a book with a few hundred images in it if he made one.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took the plunge and bought one yesterday after sharing this. I hope to soon have in my hands the Thomas Magnum card. I am a big fan of the show, watched it live when it first aired and have since obtained and rewatched the entire show run with my family, introducing my boys to the show. I also pick up collectibles when I can, at a decent price. I have the Donruss card set and an unopened box and a few other neat items. They issued a huge line of small detective related toys too and have some of them, but most of the time i see them, people want $20-50 or more for them!! The Holy Grail seems to be a Ferrari and action figure issued around 1982. Those can sell into the 4 figures. A little too rich for my taste.

Anyway, the gummy arts Magnum card was around $4 delivered when all was said and done (tax/shipping, but a ebay bucks reduction of $2), Not sure how many were made of each card, but I figured I had better suck it up or maybe miss out for good. One other was listed, but the seller wanted something like $15 for it. I do love the baseball connection too, as he was a huge Tigers fan in the show.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DuI9JngW4AA0SQo.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	171.4 KB 
ID:	94165