0 Thread(s)

bmaaaaaaac
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brian26 View Post
    My quick take on this-

I chased quite a few baseball autographs 15-20 years ago and built some team sets. Iíve noticed in general that the quality of professional sports autographs from younger athletes has declined. The Chris Sale auto is a great example. I have shelves of White Sox autos where I can read every name clearly. If you look at most of the autographs today by the younger guys, they are illegible, to the point where I wouldnít want them on a baseball or photo because it ruins the look. I donít say Topps is to blame on this however. One theory I have heard and read is that players are being schooled early in their careers on identity theft and have been warned to not use their actual autograph or to make up an abbreviated version for signing in public.
    Interesting take on the identity theft angle. Even still, all I need is a legible C and a legible S and I'm in. I have 10+ RJ Dual Autos and Sale is a dominant pitcher, I'd love to add him to my collection. But when all I get is a scribble with no discernible C or S I'm out, and a tad bitter. PR agents are doing a disservice to their clients to not advise them to have even just an initials only autograph. My opinion of Sale is super low just based off his f-you autograph.
    Randy Johnson Collector!! 5,428 Unique Cards & Counting.
    https://sportscardalbum.com/u/bigunitcards

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bmp1971 View Post
    Could it be they don't even sign these 2-letter jobs at all? I think so.

Look at the difference between these 2 Bregman autos-- the handwriting is not remotely the same:

mine is a bit better
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BREGMAN, ALEX.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	84727
    I collect Ken Griffey Jr, Ryan Howard, Steve Carlton and the rest of the Phillies.
    My Site:
    http://bradswebsite.synthasite.com/

Matthew 21:22
    "And all things, whatsoever you shall ask in prayer, believing, you shall recieve."

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brian26 View Post
    One theory I have heard and read is that players are being schooled early in their careers on identity theft and have been warned to not use their actual autograph or to make up an abbreviated version for signing in public.
    great theory. I know it was a thought back in the late 1980's when I was getting IP autos on index cards. I was using lined index cards and after a few athletes said they would sign on the lined side only (which is fine with me as i am a collector, not a flipper) I started asking for autos with the lined side showing while I asked and got decent returns that way.

I am not even in the athlete industry and have thought about possible identity theft. I developed a "public" signature a few years ago in case something happens that I became famous enough for people to want my autograph. That public signature is full and written differently than my legal signature so people who ask me for an IP or TTM signature will get a nice one but not my legal one.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123