0 Thread(s)

bmaaaaaaac
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brian26 View Post
    My quick take on this-

I chased quite a few baseball autographs 15-20 years ago and built some team sets. Iíve noticed in general that the quality of professional sports autographs from younger athletes has declined. The Chris Sale auto is a great example. I have shelves of White Sox autos where I can read every name clearly. If you look at most of the autographs today by the younger guys, they are illegible, to the point where I wouldnít want them on a baseball or photo because it ruins the look. I donít say Topps is to blame on this however. One theory I have heard and read is that players are being schooled early in their careers on identity theft and have been warned to not use their actual autograph or to make up an abbreviated version for signing in public.
    Interesting take on the identity theft angle. Even still, all I need is a legible C and a legible S and I'm in. I have 10+ RJ Dual Autos and Sale is a dominant pitcher, I'd love to add him to my collection. But when all I get is a scribble with no discernible C or S I'm out, and a tad bitter. PR agents are doing a disservice to their clients to not advise them to have even just an initials only autograph. My opinion of Sale is super low just based off his f-you autograph.
    Randy Johnson Collector!! 5,361 Unique Cards & Counting.
    https://sportscardalbum.com/u/bigunitcards

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123