Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Bryce Harper - Where does he play in 2019?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
Id like him to stay in DC. And I think if that 10yr $300mil offer had opt out options he may have accepted it. I honestly don't see him getting much more than what was offered.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
I hope he stays in Washington for his entire career, because I love seeing great players stay in one city for their entire career.

10 years, $340 million, with player opt-out at years 3 and 6 is what I see his ‘worth’ at. Full no-trade clause included.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
ESPN's reporting the Yankees don't want him. Good. He's had one great season. I know he's only 26, but he's not worth what he's asking until he can string together several awesome years.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Sadly, my Phillies seem to be going for him hard. Rumors are they want both Harper and Machado, which I feel can only blow up and ruin the franchise for another decade. Harper seems like a West Coast guy. Maybe the Dodgers or Giants can be Jedi mindtricked into going for him.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
I hope he stays in Washington for his entire career, because I love seeing great players stay in one city for their entire career.

10 years, $340 million, with player opt-out at years 3 and 6 is what I see his ‘worth’ at. Full no-trade clause included.

As much as I like the idea of superstars staying in one place, I really want Harper playing RF for the Cardinals for the next 10 years. I'm perfectly fine with the contract you're talking about too, opt outs and all.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
As much as I like the idea of superstars staying in one place, I really want Harper playing RF for the Cardinals for the next 10 years. I'm perfectly fine with the contract you're talking about too, opt outs and all.

The more I look into it, I think this is where he goes.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
The more I look into it, I think this is where he goes.

It really makes sense which probably means it won't happen. They have the biggest need for a RF of all the perennial contenders. They could really use another lefty bat to go with Carpenter. They have a ton of money they can spend before they hit the luxury cap this year and almost no one signed to big money going forward. They have a good young core. Guess we'll see how it ends up.

Sig40cal

Jul 23, 2012
Atlantic Highlands, NJ
I don't know where he goes, but I'm hoping that none of the offers he gets are close to 10 years or 300mil. I would love to see his face come spring time while Boras tells him that nobody wants to go more than 7 years or 250mil . I have nothing against the guy, but one year of MVP caliber baseball doesn't mean monster contract even with that high-on-his-own-supply Boras being his yes man.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
I don't know where he goes, but I'm hoping that none of the offers he gets are close to 10 years or 300mil. I would love to see his face come spring time while Boras tells him that nobody wants to go more than 7 years or 250mil . I have nothing against the guy, but one year of MVP caliber baseball doesn't mean monster contract even with that high-on-his-own-supply Boras being his yes man.

He's been All-Star level or better every year of his career with the exception of 2016 and he was still a 3 fWAR player that year. He's still only 26 too. WAR is running about a shade over 10 million per now and he's a pretty solid bet to be worth 35-40 million a year with the potential for much more. Even at 350 million he's a really good bet to provide surplus value over the life of the deal.

Sig40cal

Jul 23, 2012
Atlantic Highlands, NJ
I will admit that I really dislike the WAR and any related WAR stats. I don't think that the team of rocket scientists that came up with the stat actually watched a game of baseball in their lives. Any stat that claims that Buddy Bell, who was a fine ball player, is the 25th greatest ballplayer to ever lived is greatly flawed and useless in my opinion. I also don't think that making the modern day AS game should be used as a benchmark or measuring tool.

Mark Loretta was voted into the AS game by Boston fans in '06 even though Robinson Cano had a better first half. Cal Ripken was voted into the '01 game solely because of his name and the fact that he was retiring at the end of the year. The AS game is a popularity contest which Bryce will win, he has been thrust into our baseball lives since he was 15 years old and ESPN would rather give up on Tim Tebow than Bryce.

Bryce had a great year in '15, there is no denying that but I think the days of teams paying guys for 8+ years is over and done. I think teams look at the Pujols, ARod and even the Stanton deals and they die a little inside. I think the tables are turning and deals longer than 6 years will be almost non-existent as teams start staying younger and more athletic and wont go out of their way to overpay guys in their 30s. I think those albatross deals are dead and I think the players know it, especially after last years offseason that had guys scrambling to sign deals 2 and 3 weeks into spring training just to get jobs.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Where did you see that Buddy Bell was 25th best by WAR? He's the 110th best position player or 154th best player overall by fWAR right now.

Scherzer, Stanton, Heyward, etc., etc., etc. Long term deals for 26 year old former MVPs are in no way dead. 10 year deals for guys 30+ probably are.

As to guys waiting forever for a deal last year, Harper is in another stratosphere from a guy like Moustakas.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
Where did you see that Buddy Bell was 25th best by WAR? He's the 110th best position player or 154th best player overall by fWAR right now.

Scherzer, Stanton, Heyward, etc., etc., etc. Long term deals for 26 year old former MVPs are in no way dead. 10 year deals for guys 30+ probably are.

As to guys waiting forever for a deal last year, Harper is in another stratosphere from a guy like Moustakas.

My fwar list has Ruth #1, Bonds 2, Buddy Bell 3, Jake Peavy 4, and Cobb 5. Which site are you using?

:lol:

Members online

Latest posts