User Tag List

Thread: 43 and it's snowing

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

43 and it's snowing

Never knew it could snow too much above 32 until today.

Granted, it only lasted a few minutes but pretty cool.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You only have to look at the vertical temperature profile to end your amazement.

It sounds like there was a thin warm air layer at the surface so the snowflake was able to fall through the whole atmosphere without encountering enough of a warmer layer to melt into a rain drop before ground contact.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah that's a good theory. The freezing of water is an endlessly complex and fascinating process that you can geek out on for as much time as you have to geek out on things. At home I have a fantastic book about ice formation, written kind of like a novel/memoir. A good read. I can't remember for the life of me what it's called, and I even spent 10 minutes on google looking for it. Wish I could pass along a link but apparently I'm senile.
    Collecting Roberto Alomar. Over 4000 unique cards, but always looking for those I'm missing!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Occasionally during heavy snow storms in Boston we get snow thunder. Pretty weird stuff.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by banjar View Post
    The freezing of water is an endlessly complex and fascinating process that you can geek out on for as much time as you have to geek out on things.
    If you have some time, take a bottle of bottled water and put it in your freezer. Monitor it until it's very cold but not freezing as ice (i.e. supercooled). If you've done things right, take that water bottle and slam the bottom of it hard (or better yet on a table or counter) and watch the supercooled liquid change from liquid to ice in just moments!

tramersfoulball
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rsmath View Post
    If you have some time, take a bottle of bottled water and put it in your freezer. Monitor it until it's very cold but not freezing as ice (i.e. supercooled). If you've done things right, take that water bottle and slam the bottom of it hard (or better yet on a table or counter) and watch the supercooled liquid change from liquid to ice in just moments!
    never that bored

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or just Bill Nye the Science Guy. Good stuff.