Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How do you feel about manufacturer cases being protected and/or left in place?

Case & seal "as issued" or no case at all?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
s-l1600.jpg

Like this example from 2018 Archives, there are a few different types of manufacturer cases that have been used over the years. Most of them are just one touch cases with some sort of sticker/seal that if in tact shows that the card inside has not been touched. Topps and Panini seem to be the biggest fans of this type of distribution.

Being a bit of a purist, as well as a variant collector when it comes to my Garvey collection, I insist on leaving these as they were issued. If the original case is gone or damaged (scratched is the biggest issue), then the card has been altered in my mind. However, I am probably a lot more lenient on other players when it comes to the case. I prefer to see the case in place, but will not have any issues buying one that is loose.

It seems the selling world is split on this issue. I typically get a lot of cards like this packaged nicely and protected in graded card bags, but I will still get a fair number with no protection or worse yet, the case already shows heavy damage from being in a box, shuffled around frequently (like a show box that people handle frequently).

Can you live without the original case or do you need it to be there and in "as issued" condition and maybe more importantly, should sellers be aware that this may be a conditional issue for many buyers and acknowledge this in their descriptions?.

Last edited:

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
tough vote to cast. If it's etopps or the leaf graded card distribution, I leave them in the case with any anti-tamper stickers across the case.

If it's a redemption like I recently received with an anti-tamper sticker across the top of the toploader, I will remove it because it was not originally supposed to be issued in a toploader or case with an anti-tamper sticker.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Gotta have the original case and it better be scratch free in examples like the above!

Redemptions in those top loaders with the sticker definitely have to be removed though. Those are for shipping and it annoys me when people don’t take them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
I'd prefer the case to be in tact, 2017 archives signature postseason was the only release Tim Wakefield has had with this, a couple of the ones I have the sticker seal is losing it's sticky, I don't feel the need to replace the card altogether though.

finestkind

Aug 17, 2008
Massachusetts
I don't collect new cards like that. But, if I pulled a card with a nice autograph. I would keep it in the case.

Anyone remember Topps Pristine cards ? :eek:

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
I'd prefer people not care about the manufacturer case and focus on the card. We already have a segment of our collecting culture that thrives on having their cards encased and graded by 3rd party companies, and that is enough for me. I enjoy solidarity in how my personal cards are stored (penny sleeve, top loaders, team bags). I've never been a fan of the manufacturer case designs, they take up too much room and I want my cards to be free and sometimes graded by PSA.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Just to clarify a bit further, I do not count those redemptions that Topps sends out in a regular top loader with their white and red Topps sticker. I don't consider those "sealed" personally, especially since those stickers seem to come unpeeled on their own after a time anyway.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I don’t like the cases, especially the ugly sticker seal they put on it. Looks crummy and takes away from the beauty of the card. I store most of my good cards in 9-pocket pages anyway, so when I buy any of those encased cards, I bust them open.

I’ve even cracked open several PSA and BGS cases in which the card is worth less or not much more than the original grading fee. I prefer to look at my cards in binders like a book rather than pulling encased cards out of boxes.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
I don't have a preference one way or the other. I'm interested in the card inside the case, not the case itself.

If the factory mag case is all scratched up I'll swap them out. If not, I'll put it in a team bag and store it like all the other cards in mags.

Sometimes you have to crack the seal to save the card. The last time that happened I noticed there was a loose piece of plastic between the front piece of the mag and a 2017 Archives 2015 Heritage Minors Auto Stephen Piscotty we bought for my son's collection. Since I didn't want it to tear up the front of the card I cut the seal at the top and opened the mag to get the plastic piece out. When it's closed and in a team bag you can't even tell it was ever opened. If I really wanted it sealed again it's easy enough to have PSA slab it.

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
I could go either way on it. If it's an example like above, I'd like it to be kept as-is from the manufacturer. If it's a redemption, especially one that is chrome and a card that could possibly be graded, I prefer kept in the case. Tells me the card should not have a bunch of scratches, dinged corners, etc from previous owners and will have a good shot at a good grade.

brian26

Nov 12, 2010
I removed my eTopps and Topps Originals many moons ago. Just put them in 9-pocket pages. Easier to store, easier to view.

cardcop05

Nov 15, 2018
NYC
I'd prefer people not care about the manufacturer case and focus on the card. We already have a segment of our collecting culture that thrives on having their cards encased and graded by 3rd party companies, and that is enough for me. I enjoy solidarity in how my personal cards are stored (penny sleeve, top loaders, team bags). I've never been a fan of the manufacturer case designs, they take up too much room and I want my cards to be free and sometimes graded by PSA.

Juan I agree regarding adding the plain hard acrylic cases, but in order for the majority of the hobby to not care about the cases; CARD COMPANIES NEED TO LISTEN TO COLLECTORS AND STOP USING THEM!
As long as they come in cases with a sticker seal, they'll be worth LESS out of the cases! Example- 2005 Topps Retired ENCASED Autographs. I've bought a few cards that collectors took out of cases for half of what they would have cost in the DUMB "uncirculated" cases. If most collectors knew how many different card company employees hands these "Uncirculated" cards went through (that I've seen with my own eyes), they'd never think of them as "uncirculated" again! I agree that these cases take up way too much space. I have my own way of storing cards: PREMIUM Ultra-Pro toploader, quality penny sleeve, and Crystal Clear 1/2 inch Scotch tape carefully placed across the entire tops of toploaders making them nearly airtight.

But then again, it's been almost 10-years since any card companies have cared what collectors though (yes I'm speaking mainly to Topps & Panini). It's a toss up which company has the WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE in the whole hobby, and they are the two biggest card companies; what does that tell you?

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
This is a question directed at secondary market buyers and whether or not they care about the condition of the case the card originally came in, not if the manufacturer should use them in the first place. It really has nothing at all to do with the manufacturer.

The theory behind this thought is if enough sellers were aware that collectors wanted those cases in "as issued" condition, then hopefully we'd see fewer with scratching, tape, ink or complete removal.

As a side note, I used to store all of my signed cards in top loaders. However, it got too expensive and space prohibitive to continue this, so I took them all out and now just use soft sleeves. Having these screw downs or one touch cases were a small irritation when everything else was in a top loader, but now that the rest are in soft sleeves the case cards have to be segregated.

Because I prefer the cards to remain as issued, I do not want to remove the seals/cases. That said, when I get a scratched one, I feel as though the condition of the overall product has been diminished and I would like to see more awareness brought to the fact that a certain percentage of collectors feel the same way and do not want damaged "sealed" cases.

Juan I agree regarding adding the plain hard acrylic cases, but in order for the majority of the hobby to not care about the cases; CARD COMPANIES NEED TO LISTEN TO COLLECTORS AND STOP USING THEM!
As long as they come in cases with a sticker seal, they'll be worth LESS out of the cases! Example- 2005 Topps Retired ENCASED Autographs. I've bought a few cards that collectors took out of cases for half of what they would have cost in the DUMB "uncirculated" cases. If most collectors knew how many different card company employees hands these "Uncirculated" cards went through (that I've seen with my own eyes), they'd never think of them as "uncirculated" again! I agree that these cases take up way too much space. I have my own way of storing cards: PREMIUM Ultra-Pro toploader, quality penny sleeve, and Crystal Clear 1/2 inch Scotch tape carefully placed across the entire tops of toploaders making them nearly airtight.

But then again, it's been almost 10-years since any card companies have cared what collectors though (yes I'm speaking mainly to Topps & Panini). It's a toss up which company has the WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE in the whole hobby, and they are the two biggest card companies; what does that tell you?

Last edited:

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I would always prefer the original product as issued for my own collection. But I’ve taken a couple out for grading for resale.

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
I would always prefer the original product as issued for my own collection. But I’ve taken a couple out for grading for resale.
I understand why people want to keep them as issued but, when it comes down to it, you can't grade the case, only the card inside. I will never fault someone for freeing a card, especially if they send it in for grading.

As I just typed that I began wondering if/when grading companies will start giving grades to these types of manufacturer cases... They're already slabbing unopened packs of cards, why not manufacturer cases?

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Already not a fan of grading, mainly because grading is all about investing in my eyes. I collect for fun. I think grading packs/boxes/cases/unopened anything is stupid, but grading a case for condition would be beyond stupid.

My whole issue with cases are that I want some effort put in to protect them from obvious damage. A small scrape or scratch that doesn't affect eye appeal of the card itself would not bother me.

I hope you are wrong that these are graded someday, but sadly, you are probably going to be right.

I understand why people want to keep them as issued but, when it comes down to it, you can't grade the case, only the card inside. I will never fault someone for freeing a card, especially if they send it in for grading.

As I just typed that I began wondering if/when grading companies will start giving grades to these types of manufacturer cases... They're already slabbing unopened packs of cards, why not manufacturer cases?

forgerelli

Apr 4, 2013
I take all my Mo's out of the cases and put them in new toploaders. Just the way I like to store my collection.

rebelpawn

Aug 7, 2008
La Jolla. CA
I hate encased cards and rarely purchase them. They just don’t fit into my collection because I use 9 pockets for most of my cards. I also don’t usually buy them because if I should ever have to resell them, I feel the value of the card would be greatly reduced.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Members online