Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

HALL OF FAME WHO GETS IN

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
Mariano Rivera.

Lots of guys who are very distinguished in the era, will be remembered as great players from the 90's and 2000s, but no one else I consider an all timer. I wish Edgar had done anything more in the field but I despise the DH.
It's a blurry line but I can't vote for any steroid guys. Especially Manny, the guy got pinched numerous times after there was a hard policy...screw him.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
Mariano Rivera.

Lots of guys who are very distinguished in the era, will be remembered as great players from the 90's and 2000s, but no one else I consider an all timer. I wish Edgar had done anything more in the field but I despise the DH.
It's a blurry line but I can't vote for any steroid guys. Especially Manny, the guy got pinched numerous times after there was a hard policy...screw him.

Edgar led all 3B in Dwar once but then tore up his hammys in an exhibition game. :cry:

Manny should only go in if somehow Johnny Damon gets in, and then have his plague cut off Damons by going right in front of it. :lol:

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Mo and Edgar for me too.

The steroid guys will get in soon though.

But as an A's fan, I'd be fine with Rivera waiting a year...:cool:

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
Mo, Edgar and Mussina.

Mo- Obvious.

Edgar- It's his time. There will be a universal DH soon enough, so the position will be respected. Let this guy lead the charge. Oh yeah. He also destroyed the baseball.

Mussina- He walked off into the sunset as a 20 game winner and finished with 270 career victories and over 2,800 strikeouts. He pitched in the steroid era and dominated, especially against the AL East.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
If I had a vote, here are my ten I'd vote for this year.

Locks (1):
Mariano Rivera - I'm still not the biggest fan of closers in the Hall of Fame. However, for the better part of two decades Enter Sandman meant the game was over. If any closer deserves to be there it's Rivera.

Should be in already (4):
Edgar Martinez - No one has ever gone over 70%, like Edgar did last year, and not made it in the next season. He should have been in years ago but the light ballot this year and his growing support should do it.
Barry Bonds/Roger Clemens - It's quite obvious to everyone that a huge portion of the game was using and these two are the poster children but even without the steroids they are two of the best players of all time.
Curt Schilling - I get it. He's an *******. He's also one of the best pitchers of all time and perhaps the best postseason pitcher of all time. There are lots of ******** in the Hall already. That's no reason to exclude Schilling.

Returning players who are deserving (3):
Andruw Jones - He is the best defensive CF of all time and and a better than average hitter who hit 400+ HRs. His peak was monstrous. Unfortunately all people remember is the last couple of years of his career though.
Mike Mussina - I get it. He didn't get to 300 wins. I don't care. He pitched in the toughest division in baseball his entire career and you can still put his peak up against anyone but the inner circle of Hall of Famers and he bests most of them.
Scott Rolen - I've probably scrutinized Rolen more than anyone on this list because I don't want my Cardinals bias to affect my choices but Rolen is a legit top 10 (could argue top 5) 3B of all time. That deserves a spot in Cooperstown.

Newcomers (1):
Roy Halladay - Halladay was as dominant over a 10 year period as almost anyone in the history of the game. He was nails in the playoffs as well. At the same time he only ended up with 203 career wins because of the way the game has changed. He still deserves to be in and will likely be the standard bearer for pitcher election going forward. We may never see another 300 game winner.

That leaves my ballot with one open spot and honestly it could go to any of the players on my bubble list however it's going to:

Bubble Guy on my Ballot (1):
Larry Walker - Almost went McGriff here since it's his last year on the Ballot but Walker is the far superior player.

Bubble Guys:
Lance Berkman - Playing through injuries hurts his case. 2 more full healthy seasons and he's a lock.
Todd Helton - He'll get dinged for Coors Field but he was a great hitter both home and away. If 50 of 592 Doubles had been HRs I think he's a lock.
Fred McGriff - The strike in 1994 cost him his place in the 500 Home Run Club. It very well might cost him a Hall of Fame spot too.
Billy Wagner - The most dominant closer not in the Hall (given that Rivera is a lock for this year). He's better than just about every closer in the Hall already.

Bubble Guys with PED stigma:
Andy Pettitte - He wasn't quite as good as Mussina and he has the HGH stigma so he probably won't get in unless it's by committee down the road.
Manny Ramirez - Great hitter. Crazy personality. Two failed drug tests. Manny being Manny. I think down the road he gets in on a Veteran's Committee type ballot.
Gary Sheffield - Great hitter. Surly personality. Admitted Cream and Clear user. Still the craziest bat speed I've ever seen. Another Veteran's Committee inductee I think.
Sammy Sosa - 600 HR club member. Saved baseball in 1998 along with McGwire. Probable steroid user. He'll hang around for a while on the ballot but I don't see him getting the push Bonds/Clemens have.

I honestly think there will be a Steroid Era Committee in the future to take a good look at these guys and others from the Steroid Era.

Hall of Very Good:
Jeff Kent - How does a person manage to be even surlier than Barry Bonds? He falls just below my cutoff for the Hall even if he were the friendliest guy every though.
Derek Lowe - Really solid #3 starter and reliever for a long time. That doesn't get you into the Hall though.
Roy Oswalt - Hall of Fame seasons with a good peak but not a Hall of Fame career. He was just hurt too much at the end.
Plácido Polanco - Rock solid second baseman just about any team would have been glad to have. League average bat with a good glove.
Miguel Tejada - Another guy with PED ties who will probably get a look later. Even then I don't think he's a Hall of Famer though.
Omar Vizquel - The compiler's compiler. Great defender but he just doesn't have the other stats to get there. If you're going to hang around for 23 years as a contact hitter you better get to 3,000 hits if you want to get in the Hall.

List that includes some of my favorite players ever who don't belong in the Hall:
Rick Ankiel - Love the guy. Love the story. We'll talk about this again after his ten year run from age 40-50 as a dominant lefty reliever.
Jason Bay - Great start. Missed the landing.
Freddy García - He pitched 14 years? Holy cow.
Jon Garland - Another guy who pitched for 14 years. Wow
Travis Hafner - Sure was fun to watch him hit balls into the sun.
Ted Lilly - The crafty lefty's crafty lefty. Hated him when he pitched for the Cubs.
Darren Oliver - Great guy. Good lefty reliever. Not a Hall of Famer
Juan Pierre - 614 SBs and not a whole lot of anything else. 2nd worst outfield arm in history. Famously got gunned down at 3B by the guy at the top of this section of the list.
Vernon Wells - I think he kind of gets unfairly maligned for the bad contract. He was a good player in his prime. It isn't his fault that they overpaid him. Still not a Hall of Famer though.
Kevin Youkilis - The Greek God of Walks is a Hall of Fame nickname. He just couldn't sustain long enough.
Michael Young - Good solid player but I think he was pretty overrated during his career. 7 time AS and got MVP votes 5 different years. He wasn't that good.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Rivera and Edgar will get in, and possibly Halladay in his first try.

I'd also vote for Helton, Schilling, Walker, Mussina and give a homer vote to Michael Young.

forgerelli

Apr 4, 2013
If I had a ballot this would be it:

1 - Mariano Rivera
2 - Mike Mussina
3 - Barry Bonds
4 - Roger Clemens
5 - Andrew Jones
6 - Curt Schilling. Guy is a P.O.S., but also a hall of famer.
7 - Larry Walker
8 - Roy Halladay
9 - Scott Rolen
10 -Manny Ramirez

If I had more spots I would also vote for Helton, Sosa, Sheffield, and Pettitte. Maybe Berkman and Kent too.

Scott F

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Hey Forgerelli. Long time no hear. Mo will definitely get in this year. Only semi-realistic question is what percentage of votes will he get. Not that it matters though, it is a done deal.

forgerelli

Apr 4, 2013
I'm gonna guess 95%. There are voters that don't like relievers, and there are voters that don't vote for anyone on the first ballot.

Members online