Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Rob, what are you thinking???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
If this should go to Anything Goes I get it but I put it here because it’s definitely a baseball subject.

I LOVE baseball, I think most of us do, this here could possibly cause a breakup for me. MLB’s PAC donated 5K (not a ton but still) to a candidate who recently said she’d be in the front row for a lynching. She also attended an all white private high school created after brown vs the board of education so rich white kids wouldn’t have to attend school with black kids.

I’m assuming (could be wrong) that MLB is supporting her (Republican) to avoid having to pay minor leaguers more money. If this is true, I think the message is clear: owners will support racist in order to profit. I’m waiting for an MLB response but I can’t imagine how they’re going to spin this.

A member of the Giants’ ownership group has already had a lot of controversy donating to a group that had a racist ad and this same candidate.

I couldn’t copy the direct link to the story but here’s a screenshot of the tweet. This already started my day off on the wrong foot
a4fe33455d9ea46ae936ad31c4ab0525.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
Last night, Rob Neyer gathered several users to cancel their auto-renew MLB Tv subscriptions for this.

Might get their attention but who knows. I get it free through T-Mobile but maybe they’ll get blow back and stop supporting mlb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
MLB mostly lobbies for stricter internet copyright laws and gaming kickbacks.... they don't even need to lobby for suppressing Milb contracts, they already have that sht on lockdown son! :p

A 5k donation seems on the smaller side for how large MLB is.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
Jesus Christ I hate politics for this reason. Any politician...all politicians...have taken money in their pac or some similar thing from some group who hates something. Also it's hard to find a politician who currently, or in their past has said or done something controversial. Lots of things are taken way out of context. I know nothing about this situation, less than anything about Hyde-Smith, but I won't be cancelling my MLB subscription because of this, let's get a hold of ourselves. I love baseball, whatever they want to piss away their money on won't change that. I won't focus only on college or high school ball because they endorse some person who might be bat **** crazy.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Last night, Rob Neyer gathered several users to cancel their auto-renew MLB Tv subscriptions for this.

yeah, like that is going to work -- about as effective as all those Topps boycotters. About 10 people not renewing MLB.TV (or boycotting topps)
out of millions (mlb.tv) or hundreds of thousands (topps) unique purchasers.

JVHaste said:
MLB mostly lobbies for stricter internet copyright laws and gaming kickbacks.... they don't even need to lobby for suppressing Milb contracts, they already have that sht on lockdown son!

Seems like a $5K contribution is a waste in this case. President is solid republican for at least 2 more years, House is locked to dems now and Senate has a guaranteed stronger Rep majority so you aren't going to be moving the needle on copyright, cuts of gaming revenue or even suppresing Minor League Player fair pay by making a contribution to get Hyde-Smith elected.

Get a democratic president, house and senate and I'm sure the Minor League Player fair pay laws will change.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
If MLBPAC thought Democrats would try to amp up Minors pay I don't think they would give them any money to begin with.

https://www.opensecrets.org/pacs/lookup2.php?strID=C00368142&cycle=2018

I think a bigger problem than the Milb pay itself is the system where they can hold guys down like Vladdy Jr. who is easily MLB ready (probably even been ROY!)... if there was a clear path through Milb then it would be like an apprenticeship of sorts, but when they can be stalled to roll back their free agent eligibility that is BS.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/when-it-comes-to-free-agency-its-time-for-a-change/

Last edited:

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
If MLBPAC thought Democrats would try to amp up Minors pay I don't think they would give them any money to begin with.

https://www.opensecrets.org/pacs/lookup2.php?strID=C00368142&cycle=2018

my mind has been blown twice tonight by this topic:

1) the link you provided for overview of PAC contributions and that not only MLB donated to democratics, but donated more to democratics than republicans

2) looked up the SF Giants co-owner who contributed to Hyde-Smith and saw that he co-owns a team in liberalville but is a big time conservative republican donor.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
my mind has been blown twice tonight by this topic:

1) the link you provided for overview of PAC contributions and that not only MLB donated to democratics, but donated more to democratics than republicans

2) looked up the SF Giants co-owner who contributed to Hyde-Smith and saw that he co-owns a team in liberalville but is a big time conservative republican donor.

...and it only gets worse from here, the next one MLB donated 1k to uncovered!
:-?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...ory.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.6462bb18c3b5

idk what they are thinking with that. 1k doesn't get sht done, but doing it can turn around bite you.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
idk what they are thinking with that. 1k doesn't get sht done, but doing it can turn around bite you.

they probably think donating to a republican will help out but they clearly haven't vetted which republicans they have made a donation to since there are two noteworthy incidents now.

1K doesn't do much as you pointed out -- maybe MLB donated that small thinking they would stay out of the public donor list but has found out it's too big of donation to stay secret by state law -- but it probably gives MLB a chance to bend the ear of who they made a small donation to, like "we donated to your last campaign - we'd appreciate a no vote to any legislation to pay minor leaguers fairly or a yes vote to a law that gives the sports leagues a cut of online gambling related to their sport".

Members online

Latest posts