User Tag List

Thread: The oddest card-related thing happened to me today...

deliciousbacon666
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The oddest card-related thing happened to me today...

Gallery was restocked at a few of my local Walmarts. I don't go to Walmart other than the cards, so when I get there for a restock, it's a very rare occurrence. I cleaned out the fresh pile of Gallery rack packs, and opened them in my car in the parking lot (just can't wait to get them home!). They started out fine, then I noticed one had a bunch of junk wax right in the middle of the pack, where the insert and/or Wood parallels would be. Pretty weird, right? So I open a few more, then another with junk in the middle! The packs showed no obvious signs of tampering, and besides, they'd just been restocked. Now I'm checking the wrappers on the unopened ones, and I see nothing off about any of the rest. All look the same, sealed up, no loose seams or any funny business. Open another, more junk wax. Three of the freshly stocked packs, half full of junk wax commons in the center of each pack.

I know, sounds like someone bought them, cut them open, took out the good stuff, and sealed them back up. I thought so too, but the packs were obviously brand new from wherever the restocker gets them from, unless he himself was tampering with packs (and can somehow seal them up as good as Topps). My only thought is that the junk looked like the crap you'd find in a Fairfield repack, so does Topps outsource the packaging of their Walmart exclusives to Fairfield? Maybe someone there got sticky fingers, or wanted to play a ****ty joke? What does anyone make of this?
    I'm DelBacon on Sportlots, tons of great cards!

1K+ Club - Top Player Collections (as of 10/21/18): 1. Glaus: 2096 - 2. Rolen: 1686 - 3. Thome: 1638 - 4. Helton: 1521 - 5. Garciaparra: 1461 - 6. L. Walker: 1317 - 7. D. Ortiz: 1311 - 8. R. Palmeiro: 1307 - 9. Edmonds: 1090 10. Biggio: 1072 - 11. A. Beltre: 1052

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeliciousBacon View Post
    What does anyone make of this?
    buy from walmart online, ship to store???

i've done this twice -- small sample size -- and haven't seen any obvious funny business in the products I bought. I got what could be expected.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is weird as hell. You oughta go back to Wally World and raise hell to get your money back! It would be fun to see if they'd actually refund you. That could turn into a great scam...and a nice way to get rid of your junk wax
    Collecting Roberto Alomar. Over 4000 unique cards, but always looking for those I'm missing!

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have packs left unopened, record a video of you opening them, clearly showing they’re sealed, and forward it to Topps. Open one in front of Walmart’s manager too and try to get the distributor’s information. They probably won’t believe you without proof.

Or maybe you hit a hot box of randomly inserted “vintage” cards that the wrapper says are 1 in 4,9575,193 odds of hitting.
    Last edited by Austin; 11-30-2018 at 10:25 PM.
    Set builder, autograph hunter and fan of the Texas Rangers & '50s-'60s Yankees

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whoa... that’s bizarre.