Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Barry Bonds collectors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tibor

Sep 16, 2015
On the Collectors Universe forum there is a thread about
a collector who has amassed 5000 1986 Topps Traded
Barry Bonds. Are there any SUPER collectors of Barry Bonds
on this forum? How many DIFFERENT Bonds cards are
in your collection? Some consider that guy the "Bonds"
guy.

Tibor

Sep 16, 2015
Some nice cards [MENTION=3766]bongo870[/MENTION]. That auto is my favorite.
A nice readable autograph. You don't need a Rossetta Stone to
decipher it.

Last edited:

mhcook

Feb 22, 2011
I continue the digression from the original post, but I don't remember Barry's auto being that nice. It is pretty incredible, especially for someone who was known for caring that much about others.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Freedom Card Board mobile app

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
His auto was slightly different during his playing days, not all letters quite as clear but the B's were always very nice and prominent, both versions have good eye appeal but his current auto is top notch.
I have a decent stash from when I collected him before all the steroid news came out, I've traded quite a bit away but I kept some of my faves. As a guilty pleasure I make a small pickup here and there of an item I really wanted when I was a kid but couldn't afford, even though I despise what he ultimately came to be there's a strong sense of nostalgia wrapped up in it for me.

mhcook

Feb 22, 2011
That is the signature I had in mind for Barry, which I like it more than I remember too. Maybe it's just as time passes my hatred is diminishing for him breaking McGwire's record.

I'm very surprised and impressed that his auto has improved subsequent to his playing days. It would be nice if more athletes would do this, instead most continue to shorten it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Freedom Card Board mobile app

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Barry Bonds. Like most people I never had much affinity for that guy. Still don't. But this thread inspired me to trawl the webs. There's a series of webpages that basically boil down to "Crazy Ass Barry Bonds Stats". Like in 2004 when he reached base more times than he had official at-bats. And how 49% of his career hits were for extra bases. And so on and so forth. Good god. Of course I was around at the time and watching sports center like everyone else, but didn't realize how f'in unbelievable his early 2000's years were.

When I finally get to the point with my PC that I only find new additions a few times per year, I will have to come up with another collection - or several - to focus on. I think one of them will be getting one on-card autograph of each of the best players of my lifetime. One of the first will have to be Barry Bonds. And stinkin' Roger Clemens too. Luckily there are good guys like Greg Maddux too :)

BigAppleJak

Aug 8, 2008
Not my favorite player by any stretch, but he did make a HUGE impact on the game.

I have a Traded Tiffany RC, but also have this of which I have never seen another one:

imageaspx-6.JPG

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
I think I still have about a thousand Barry and Roger Clemens. Greatest pitcher and hitters I’ve ever seen. I’m in Northern California and remember being in high school during Barrys dominance. I’d set my vcr to record the rest of the Giants games before I went to sleep just so I could watch his at bats. I saw a few home runs at AT&T but mostly walks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I remember Showalter took no end of grief for that IBB, but he showed some extraordinary spine in doing so, knowing he'd be second-guessed for eternity, or even just fired, if it didn't work out exactly the way it did. But you go back and look at Bonds's stats from the second half of his career and it's like videogame numbers.

Dang it, now I want some Bonds cards.

Members online