Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Cardinals Acquire Paul Goldschmidt For Weaver/Kelly/Young+

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I feel like teams are viewing trades a little differently. Think of it this way... any team can just throw money at Machado or Harper and get a star who is still very young. For goldschmidt, you are going to have to pay him a ton after this year to retain him, and you also have to trade prospects for him.

With prospects, if they are any good, you get basically 5 years before you really have to ante up, and so you can throw the money elsewhere.

The way the salaries are setup in baseball now, young controllable players are way more valuable.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Thanks a lot for throwing all your trash on our yard

Sincerely,
Virtually every D-Backs fan

P.S. So long Goldy and thanks for all the home runs

Weaver isn’t bad, but seems to fold under pressure. He’s a solid 4 or 5 starter for many years to come. Has the potential to develop into something more, but not a 1 or 2 in my opinion.

Carson will be a fine major leaguer. He’s a good player, but he should have been traded the minute Molin signed his extension. There was no reason to keep him with Andrew Knizner coming up through the ranks quickly.

Never heard of the prospect, and I’m not worried about the draft pick.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
Weaver isn’t bad, but seems to fold under pressure. He’s a solid 4 or 5 starter for many years to come. Has the potential to develop into something more, but not a 1 or 2 in my opinion.

Carson will be a fine major leaguer. He’s a good player, but he should have been traded the minute Molin signed his extension. There was no reason to keep him with Andrew Knizner coming up through the ranks quickly.

Never heard of the prospect, and I’m not worried about the draft pick.

For this deal to be meaningful at all (for the D-Backs), Luke Weaver needs to live up to the potential he was said to have once as a top prospect...which was basically that of a mid-rotation pitcher. Getting 5-6 years of that production from him would most certainly be of equal value (or more) to what Goldy will do in a year.

I've never watched him pitch before so really have no idea what to expect. All I can go by are his stats, which are not good, but I'm aware that some pitchers take longer to develop so those stats too are rather meaningless at this point.

I'm mostly pissed because you guys have a plethora of young talented mlb ready pitchers to choose from but we ended up with the one at the bottom of the barrel. I would have loved so much to see Jack Flaherty wearing a D-Backs jersey :D

Jul 29, 2017
I feel like teams are viewing trades a little differently. Think of it this way... any team can just throw money at Machado or Harper and get a star who is still very young. For goldschmidt, you are going to have to pay him a ton after this year to retain him, and you also have to trade prospects for him.

With prospects, if they are any good, you get basically 5 years before you really have to ante up, and so you can throw the money elsewhere.

The way the salaries are setup in baseball now, young controllable players are way more valuable.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

Hit the nail on the head! it's all about young controllable players.
if it would have been 2 years ago and you had Goldy for minimum 3 seasons
the cost would have been thru the roof.

I am a life long Cardinal fan, Goldy fits STL. If Goldy comes in and plays well.
the fans will love him and he will resign with STL, if not they part ways.
I myself love Kelly and thought STL would tried to work Kelly into the line-up
but this trade will go down as a win for STL.

PeteD

Oct 15, 2009
Southern Ont.
Well really with Ozuna not putting up expected numbers, the Cards need a HR (or any sign of power)threat...Goldy has legit 40 homer potential.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Well really with Ozuna not putting up expected numbers, the Cards need a HR (or any sign of power)threat...Goldy has legit 40 homer potential.

As a Cards fan I love the Goldy trade, but power wasn't an issue with the Cardinals last year. They were 4th in the NL in home runs and 7th in slugging. Adding Goldy and with Ozuna healthy plus Tyler O'Neill getting more run and they could be 1 or 2 this year.

cardcop05

Nov 15, 2018
NYC
Holy. Crap. The Cards have ***** and pillaged AZ.

Ken Rosenthal [MENTION=11748]ken[/MENTION]_Rosenthal
#DBacks getting Luke Weaver, Carson Kelly, Andy Young and a draft pick from #STLCards for Goldschmidt, sources tell The Athletic.

I agree totally, the D'Backs were ***** & pillaged like the Pagans did thousands of years ago! Luke Weaver- DEAD Prospect, Carson Kelly- .153 BA, 0 HR's in 131 MLB AB's??? & Anthony (Andy) Young- WHO??? 2016 37th Round Pick (longshot 2B prospect w/some power after 3 Minor League seasons).

Members online

Latest posts