User Tag List

Thread: Luis Valbuena and Josť Castillo have died in a car accident.

Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Luis Valbuena and Josť Castillo have died in a car accident.

Per MLB.

We are saddened by the tragic news that Luis Valbuena and former major leaguer Josť Castillo have died in a car accident.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9673.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	343.8 KB 
ID:	85078

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Resident Yadier Molina, and Pro Wrestling super fan.

AstrosAtoZ
     AstrosAtoZ
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Incredibly sad.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I first saw "car crash" in a headline, I was thinking this was in the dominican but then you read the story and find out it was venezuela.

This story took a strange twist today when four people were arrested. The car crash appeared to be part of an attempt to rob people by putting rocks in the roadway to cause a vehicle crash then robbing the victims. The four arrested today were found with personal possessions from Valbuena and Castillo.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a sick fu--cking world we live in. Vary sad for the victims and their families.

mrmet17
    Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rsmath View Post
    When I first saw "car crash" in a headline, I was thinking this was in the dominican but then you read the story and find out it was venezuela.

This story took a strange twist today when four people were arrested. The car crash appeared to be part of an attempt to rob people by putting rocks in the roadway to cause a vehicle crash then robbing the victims. The four arrested today were found with personal possessions from Valbuena and Castillo.
    Not exactly the same situation, but didnt something like this happen to Yordano Ventura also, I seem to remember him being robbed after a car accident instead of being helped

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

mrmet17
    Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rsmath View Post

Not exactly the same situation, but didnt something like this happen to Yordano Ventura also, I seem to remember him being robbed after a car accident instead of being helped

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only read one article, but it said neither were wearing a seatbelt. Two other passengers apparently survived the crash, presumably because they were belted. That is inexcusable in today's world. Unfortunate, for sure. Avoidable, quite possibly.

Mentioned
    143 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
    I only read one article, but it said neither were wearing a seatbelt. Two other passengers apparently survived the crash, presumably because they were belted. That is inexcusable in today's world. Unfortunate, for sure. Avoidable, quite possibly.
    I donít know what the seatbelt laws are there, but itís important to remember not everything is the same in other parts of the world as it is in the United States. Not wearing a seatbelt (as absurd as it is in 2018) there might not be a big deal, I donít know.

I work inside of a major tire manufacturing plant in the United States. We have an over abundance of safety precautions all over the place, cages around equipment to prevent people from getting inside of a moving machine, guard rails all over the place, etc. Our plant in Mexico has almost none of that. Things are different in other places.

Resident Yadier Molina, and Pro Wrestling super fan.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In Venezuela where the accident happened, only the front seat passengers must wear seat belts. Doesn't matter much in a country where they can't even feed their own people.

AstrosAtoZ
     AstrosAtoZ
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is hard to know if they were wearing seat belts or not, since they were murdered and robbed. The robbers may have unbuckled them to empty their pockets.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am commenting only on the one article I read. My assumption is that those two were ejected. I could be wrong.

I work for a global company in an inherently dangerous trade and agree that safety in the US is almost always a notch (or more) higher than the rest of the world. I could see someone who has never left the country being more of a potential victim of these types of safety related incidents, but these guys have been out of the country and presumably living in the US, at least part time for several years +. I am not looking to blame them, but general safety is an area that society really has fallen short on when it comes to education and enforcement. The information I gained from the military as well as working in my trade for 20 years now has changed how I look at even the most common and mundane activities when it comes to safety.

We are all making assumptions at this point, but how likely is it that 2 of 4 people get murdered in the same car when the article I read reported those two were not wearing seatbelts? Either way, it is unfortunate, but perhaps we'll confirm later that this is one of a line of several recent tragic accidents involving MLB players that easily could have been avoided or maybe this is a true unavoidable accident.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could see someone who has never left the country being more of a potential victim of these types of safety related incidents, but these guys have been out of the country and presumably living in the US, at least part time for several years +.
    I must be missing something in your point. Both these players were born in Venezuela (and I assume lived in venezuela until signed by a MLB club and went back to Venezuela in the offseasons) so I think both probably should know what it's like to be in Venezuela and know what the states are like from the time they've spent here and acted accordingly in venezuela when it comes to safety practices even if it's not what is done in their homeland.

I can only hope it's the robbery attempt that killed them (i.e. something out of their control) rather than not wearing seatbelts and driving under the influence where doing some things might have saved their lives or make them have more situational awareness of a robbery attempt.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMet View Post
    When Ventura rolled his jeep in the DR, I think they determined that he wasn't robbed (because, I believe, he still had his WS ring and other jewelry when they found him).
    Wanting to buy '96 Select Certified Mirror Gold baseball...commons & stars