Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Luis Valbuena and José Castillo have died in a car accident.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
When I first saw "car crash" in a headline, I was thinking this was in the dominican but then you read the story and find out it was venezuela.

This story took a strange twist today when four people were arrested. The car crash appeared to be part of an attempt to rob people by putting rocks in the roadway to cause a vehicle crash then robbing the victims. The four arrested today were found with personal possessions from Valbuena and Castillo.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
When I first saw "car crash" in a headline, I was thinking this was in the dominican but then you read the story and find out it was venezuela.

This story took a strange twist today when four people were arrested. The car crash appeared to be part of an attempt to rob people by putting rocks in the roadway to cause a vehicle crash then robbing the victims. The four arrested today were found with personal possessions from Valbuena and Castillo.

Not exactly the same situation, but didnt something like this happen to Yordano Ventura also, I seem to remember him being robbed after a car accident instead of being helped

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos

Not exactly the same situation, but didnt something like this happen to Yordano Ventura also, I seem to remember him being robbed after a car accident instead of being helped

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I only read one article, but it said neither were wearing a seatbelt. Two other passengers apparently survived the crash, presumably because they were belted. That is inexcusable in today's world. Unfortunate, for sure. Avoidable, quite possibly.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
I only read one article, but it said neither were wearing a seatbelt. Two other passengers apparently survived the crash, presumably because they were belted. That is inexcusable in today's world. Unfortunate, for sure. Avoidable, quite possibly.

I don’t know what the seatbelt laws are there, but it’s important to remember not everything is the same in other parts of the world as it is in the United States. Not wearing a seatbelt (as absurd as it is in 2018) there might not be a big deal, I don’t know.

I work inside of a major tire manufacturing plant in the United States. We have an over abundance of safety precautions all over the place, cages around equipment to prevent people from getting inside of a moving machine, guard rails all over the place, etc. Our plant in Mexico has almost none of that. Things are different in other places.

finestkind

Aug 17, 2008
Massachusetts

In Venezuela where the accident happened, only the front seat passengers must wear seat belts. Doesn't matter much in a country where they can't even feed their own people. :(

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!

It is hard to know if they were wearing seat belts or not, since they were murdered and robbed. The robbers may have unbuckled them to empty their pockets.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I am commenting only on the one article I read. My assumption is that those two were ejected. I could be wrong.

I work for a global company in an inherently dangerous trade and agree that safety in the US is almost always a notch (or more) higher than the rest of the world. I could see someone who has never left the country being more of a potential victim of these types of safety related incidents, but these guys have been out of the country and presumably living in the US, at least part time for several years +. I am not looking to blame them, but general safety is an area that society really has fallen short on when it comes to education and enforcement. The information I gained from the military as well as working in my trade for 20 years now has changed how I look at even the most common and mundane activities when it comes to safety.

We are all making assumptions at this point, but how likely is it that 2 of 4 people get murdered in the same car when the article I read reported those two were not wearing seatbelts? Either way, it is unfortunate, but perhaps we'll confirm later that this is one of a line of several recent tragic accidents involving MLB players that easily could have been avoided or maybe this is a true unavoidable accident.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I could see someone who has never left the country being more of a potential victim of these types of safety related incidents, but these guys have been out of the country and presumably living in the US, at least part time for several years +.

I must be missing something in your point. Both these players were born in Venezuela (and I assume lived in venezuela until signed by a MLB club and went back to Venezuela in the offseasons) so I think both probably should know what it's like to be in Venezuela and know what the states are like from the time they've spent here and acted accordingly in venezuela when it comes to safety practices even if it's not what is done in their homeland.

I can only hope it's the robbery attempt that killed them (i.e. something out of their control) rather than not wearing seatbelts and driving under the influence where doing some things might have saved their lives or make them have more situational awareness of a robbery attempt.

Letch77

Jan 28, 2018
Midwest

When Ventura rolled his jeep in the DR, I think they determined that he wasn't robbed (because, I believe, he still had his WS ring and other jewelry when they found him).

Members online