Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Another Card in the News Story....File Under Strange!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
These have been selling for $20 on eBay for the last 24 hours. If you have one, sell it now before people realize they are being idiots.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
time to give our junk era commons extra scrutiny so that we might find something that turns it from 18 cents to 20 bucks for a few days. ;)

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
at one point i had somewhere in the neighborhood of 250-300 of this card....i still have quite a few - possibly as many as 50-100 if i'm lucky - but most are stored in a place that makes retrieval a bit problematic....that said , tonight i found 5 of them that are destined for ebay late tonight or in the morning and i will be going on an expedition tomorrow to unearth a couple dozen more...i hate to be viewed as an opportunist , but holding onto these now means nothing when i'm desperately trying to get a replacement car and save my home....

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
Why would you have saved 250-300 of those same cards ? I'm not trying to be rude. It's great that you can make $ off of them now.

from the mid-80' through the late 90's i had several people around the country sending me bulk lots 2-3 times per year....while i got a ton of 70's football and basketball as well as a lot of clemens rookies among the lots , the vast majority were junk wax cards such as 88 donruss baseball , 90 and 91 pro set football , and.....91-92 hoops basketball....a 5000-count lot may include 50-100 stars and then 100-200 each of a handful of minor stars and/or commons - players like rik smits , tom chambers , rolando blackmon , mark aguire , rod strickland , chuck person , mark jackson , etc - and while i have always sold SOME cards , frankly i have always preferred to keep 99%n of the cards i acquire (which could explain why i still have nearly 5 million here) as for what i did sell , those were not in high demand so i accumulated far more than i had customers for and far more than i needed for my own set building...as such , most were simply set aside in storage boxes and then nearly a million eventually bulked out in 25,000-count lots to 2-3 other local collectors who saw my ads in a local trade paper....

and fwiw - there are LOTS of cards that i did/do have hundreds of....i am not the type who only wants 1 of a card in my collection....that one just happened to be one that i had that many of due to chance rather than intent....

Last edited:

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
By the time I find any of mine, the trend will have passed, at least folks dropping $20-30 per! I read eBay was now trying to prevent people from selling them, citing something about supporting murderers. The Burbank guy had a solid point in the article, as you can buy cards of guys like A. Hernandez and OJ Simpson, so why bash this card specifically? It's still really funny that a card with no shortage whatsoever sees so strongly due to a social media surge.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
By the time I find any of mine, the trend will have passed, at least folks dropping $20-30 per!

unfortunately I don't think there will be a drop the price when the trend has passed, so you may not be able to pick up a cheap copy unless people revise their prices downward again.

I know when I first got wind of the story, Sportlots was sold out of the card. I wonder if whoever posted the tip to the media went around buying up cheap singles from various sites in order to resell for big bucks once the media storm hit.

Dec 4, 2008
The market always wins. Sellers will eventually outstrip buyers. Especially for a card that two weeks ago was worth 50 cents on a good day and which likely has a million sets printed. Put a star on this thread for one year from now. My bet is this card roundly sells for under $5 by then. 2 years back to $1!

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
Dunno if SI still does their "Sign of the Apocalypse" column, but this would be perfect for it. Why the hell people would pay $20 for a card with a couple of guys who murdered their parents on it boggles my mind. WTF is the matter with people?

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
You are not wrong here, but there are collectors for everything. I am more amazed and how many people are willing to pay that much.

It will forever be an elevated card though, and even when the prices dip back under a buck, there will still be sales for more.

Dunno if SI still does their "Sign of the Apocalypse" column, but this would be perfect for it. Why the hell people would pay $20 for a card with a couple of guys who murdered their parents on it boggles my mind. WTF is the matter with people?

chadgwynn

Jun 13, 2011
The real problem here is no one has even mentioned what this might, will , or has been said or done to Mark Jackson, hell I thought he was a murdered until I read. I freaked out.
2nd point how the hell does so
Some even catch this. Amazing. I know I have 1 or 2 in a hoops box but wouldn’t even be bothered and to sell a card like that. Unless I had 50-250 like people had lol. Good thread though.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Members online