User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Baines, Lee Smith Headed to the Baseball Hall of Fame

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As an A's fan, I appreciated Baines more than most, but he's not a HOFer to me. Heck, he could barely run his last 5 years.

I don't totally agree with Lee Smith either but he was good enough for long enough it's not a big problem for me...
    Don't forget to use the FCB Link when buying on eBay!

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As an A's fan, I appreciated Baines more than most, but he's not a HOFer to me. Heck, he could barely run his last 5 years.

I don't totally agree with Lee Smith either but he was good enough for long enough it's not a big problem for me...
    Don't forget to use the FCB Link when buying on eBay!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How in the hell does Baines get in the HOF before Ted Simmons?

Sent from my [device_name] using Freedom Card Board mobile app

mrmet17
    Mentioned
    558 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0028.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	528.5 KB 
ID:	85126

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

dodgergeo
     dodgergeo
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “Harold Baines was on the ballot as recently as 2011 and received 4.8% of the vote. It was his fifth straight year with a vote total below 10%. Why, just seven years later, do 16 people get to decide that he's now a Hall of Famer when 95.2% of the voters didn't think he was one?“
    - Aaron Gleeman, editor-in-chief, Baseball Prospectus

I couldn’t have said it any better myself, Aaron. While both of these players were very good, neither belongs among the legends of the game. Just because other very good players have unfortunately made it in doesn’t mean we have to let them all in now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Baines' election is just frickin' asinine. Excluding closers, he's easily the worst player elected in the last 30 to 40 years. Blows away the elections of Blyleven and Sutton.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jbone17 View Post
    The fact George Steinbrenner doesn't get in is a crime. Between 1973-2010, "The Boss" won seven World Series titles. He was one of the biggest advocates of revenue sharing (Against his own will). Most of these owners can bow down to his philanthropy and kiss his boots. Yes, he rubbed folks the wrong way; however, the nostalgia that comes with his legacy cannot be ignored. I'm sorry, but Harold Baines isn't a HOF'er. Neither is Lee Smith.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    R.I.P. Harmon Clayton Killebrew June 29, 1936-May 17, 2011 You will surely be missed!

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats to the both of them. Gives hope for players like Oliver, Parker, John, W. Davis, Pinson, Murphy, Garvey and some others if the Hall will start recognizing some of those "on the fence" type players everyone loves to ***** about. People need to stop comparing guys like Baines to the likes of Willie Mays and Hank Aaron. Those guys are rare as it is, a few per generation, but to think everyone in the Hall of Fame needs to be at their playing level is just short sided.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a joke. Even Baines himself said he was in total shock.
    He was good but never great. No one considered Baines a Hall of Famer during his playing days.

He was the ultimate stat compiler. He had 2,800+ hits, but only once did he have more than 173 hits in a season. He had almost 400 homers, but only once hit more than 25 homers.
    He received MVP votes in only four of his 22 seasons, and was never higher than 9th place.

Worst of all, Baines never received more than 6% of the HOF vote. Now he’s magically worthy, after 94% of voters said he wasn’t?

So why was he elected this time? ESPN’s analysts say the main reason is because of the nonstop lobbying of White Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf, who just happens to be one of the 16 voters, who also include Baines’ former teammate Roberto Alomar, his former GM Pat Gillick and former manager Tony LaRussa.

Lots of nepotism in these new committees, and it favored Baines this time.
    Last edited by Austin; 12-10-2018 at 04:18 AM.
    Set builder, autograph hunter and fan of the Texas Rangers & '50s-'60s Yankees

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    After hours of no understanding of what could possibly explain Harold Baines, someone else finally provided that. Everyone (not accused of steroids with over 2800 hits is in the HOF, same goes for over 1600 RBIs. So Baines crossed 2 thresholds that everyone who has crossed has made it.

I feel like doing so much of it as a DH and taking 22 seasons, took away from the significance of these totals, but I wasn't voting.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mhcook View Post
    After hours of no understanding of what could possibly explain Harold Baines, someone else finally provided that. Everyone (not accused of steroids with over 2800 hits is in the HOF, same goes for over 1600 RBIs. So Baines crossed 2 thresholds that everyone who has crossed has made it.

I feel like doing so much of it as a DH and taking 22 seasons, took away from the significance of these totals, but I wasn't voting.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    How in the world? Edgar Martinez has been fighting and clawing his way up the list as the greatest DH of all time and Baines gets in before he does? WTH?

Looking at the list I thought that Clark would be the borderline guy they put in with Smith. Baines shouldn't have even been on the list at all.
    I PC Jeff Frye, Ozzie Smith, Jeff Bagwell, and Matt Holiday. Working on 2006-2018 Allen & Ginter sets
    https://jefffryecollection.wordpress.com - My collection website with galleries and want lists

joey_baseball
     joey12524
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well those two were good players borderline very good at times during their career. WHAT A ****IN JOKE

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a big hall guy. Smith is borderline at best, but Baines is a horrible selection. One of the worst ever.

A quick comparison to one of my favorite overlooked guys Dwight Evans:

Baines:Right Field (74th):
    38.7 career WAR / 21.4 7yr-peak WAR / 30.1 JAWS

Evans:Right Field (15th):
    67.1 career WAR / 37.3 7yr-peak WAR / 52.2 JAWS

Average HOF RF (out of 25):
    72.7 career WAR / 42.9 7yr-peak WAR / 57.8 JAWS

Dwight Evans is almost literally twice the player Baines was.

WTF. seriously, WTF.
    Mariano Rivera Super Collector. Always buying rare Mo's - PSA's, Auto's, Patches, Printing Plates, or any other rare Mo's. I PAY MORE THAN ANYONE FOR MARIANO'S I NEED.

Senior Member death2redemptions's Avatar
     ddavisaz
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paul Konerko: “There’s a lot great hitters in the Hall of Fame but Harold Baines is better than a lot of them”
    Look, I'm gonna be honest with you. I really need a job. And I will take any position, as long as it doesn't involve having sex with old ladies for money or bear traps. Those are my two bugaboos. While mulling over my resume feel free to check out my baseball card collection, it's small and simple, kinda like me - >>>>> http://s822.photobucket.com/user/JDf...ds%20n%20stuff

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast