User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Baines, Lee Smith Headed to the Baseball Hall of Fame

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In other news, eleven states -- including North Dakota and Delaware -- got together and decided the presidential election wasn't done properly, so the new President of the United States is now Ross Perot (8.4% of the vote when he was last eligible)

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seriously, what difference does it make to everyone that a "lesser" player got elected? I kind of enjoy seeing the complaints each year a non-deserver gets elected and wonder why it really matters.

Will your trip to Cooperstown be ruined if you see a Baines display (I got news for ya, many displays in the HOF don't include HOFers)? Is our HOF now a joke compared to the French HOF? is your collecting experience any less fulfilling now? Will having one more cheaper HOF autograph make it harder to sell your stuff? Does it make Hank Aaron any less of a HOFer to have to say that he and Baines are now in a class together?

Get over yourselves...

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Baines, Lee Smith Headed to the Baseball Hall of Fame

Usually when these HOF arguments fire up someone starts spouting off the “it’s not the Hall of Very Good” take and I usually point out that it’s also not the “Hall of Only the Best” but the Hall of “Fame” and am generally in favor of more inclusion. Could care less about exclusivity really. It’s a history museum for God’s sake, calm down. In this case however, I don’t think you can argue that Baines was famous outside of south Chicago either. So in my eyes your darn right Mattingly should be in, but this is a head scratcher.

I also agree with the point above. We’re yelling about the Hall of Fame in December and that’s not terrible. Viva la Baseball!

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    SCREW PHOTOBUCKET
    Jeff Cirillo Spread Sheet ||
    Hall of Unending Gratitude: dazed, magicpapa, uniquebaseballcards, and the vigilant eye of tonsofcommons

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Harold Baines got in, then Tim Raines should be in.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had a Lee Smith autograph in my "future HOF" collection for like 15 years now, was starting to think he had no shot.

Never even considered buying a Baines before.
    HOF auto collector - I'm up to 258 different in my collection (used to have a photobucket link here, but photobucket sucks)

GO ROCKIES!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had a Lee Smith autograph in my "future HOF" collection for like 15 years now, was starting to think he had no shot.

Never even considered buying a Baines before.
    HOF auto collector - I'm up to 258 different in my collection (used to have a photobucket link here, but photobucket sucks)

GO ROCKIES!

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwynn545 View Post
    You mean the Tim Raines that has a higher career WAR than Tony Gwynn? Yep, he certainly deserves his induction.
    Set builder, autograph hunter and fan of the Texas Rangers & '50s-'60s Yankees

moxacaine
     moxacaine
    Mentioned
    260 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another example of why the MLB Hall of Fame is a joke.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not really a matter of getting over oneself, or a matter of the HOF making a difference in anyone's baseball fandom, collecting hobby, or life. It doesn't. So yes, clearly this doesn't really matter in the big picture, but that's not the point at all. One has the right to state strong opinions about things, even things that aren't that important. And also, of course, the right also to issue pious chastisements about said opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
    Seriously, what difference does it make to everyone that a "lesser" player got elected? I kind of enjoy seeing the complaints each year a non-deserver gets elected and wonder why it really matters.

Will your trip to Cooperstown be ruined if you see a Baines display (I got news for ya, many displays in the HOF don't include HOFers)? Is our HOF now a joke compared to the French HOF? is your collecting experience any less fulfilling now? Will having one more cheaper HOF autograph make it harder to sell your stuff? Does it make Hank Aaron any less of a HOFer to have to say that he and Baines are now in a class together?

Get over yourselves...
    Collecting Roberto Alomar. Over 4000 unique cards, but always looking for those I'm missing!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by banjar View Post
    It's not really a matter of getting over oneself, or a matter of the HOF making a difference in anyone's baseball fandom, collecting hobby, or life. It doesn't. So yes, clearly this doesn't really matter in the big picture, but that's not the point at all. One has the right to state strong opinions about things, even things that aren't that important. And also, of course, the right also to issue pious chastisements about said opinions.
    Personally, I think it cheapens the significance of being in the HOF.
    Wanting to buy '96 Select Certified Mirror Gold baseball...commons & stars

gracecollector
    Mentioned
    274 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwynn545 View Post
    WTF? Raines is already in. We're you asleep last year?

Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by banjar View Post
    Harold Baines never finished above 9th in MVP voting.
    Yadi finished 4th a few years ago.

Resident Yadier Molina, and Pro Wrestling super fan.

gogosox40
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats Harold Brains. (Brains like my avatar)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    ================================================== ===============================================

Bucket: http://s879.photobucket.com/home/gogosox40/allalbums
    Collecting Chicago White Sox
    Looking for: 2006 Topps World Series Relics = Bobby jenks (Glove) & Carl Everett (Jersey) Cards.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Juan Gonzalez and Albert Belle are 10X better than Baines. Not to mention all the other players who are. Unreal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Carlos Delgado. Larry Walker. John Olerud. Steve Rogers. Larry Murphy. Ted Simmons. Curt Schilling. Edgar Martinez. On and on and on you can list players who had much better careers than Baines but aren't in the Hall. It's not Baines' fault that he was nominated or selected, though. It is a bad selection. Like many people, I have the basic 5-10 rule. Was a player one of the best players in the game for 5+ years? Baines never was for one year, to be fair. Was the player one of the best at his position for 10+ years? Baines, maybe 3. Not close to being worthy of HoF. Many other players got in the same way, cronyism. Yes, the Hall should be able to remove said players who got in by hook or crook, on on-the-field greatness. Lee Smith has an argument by the standards I said, Baines no way, but again, it's cronyism.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast