Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

My email to Topps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
Gents, this is the email I sent to Topps regarding the unjustified price increase of 2018 Bowman Draft. Please feel free to do the same and let them hear about it!

I wanted to begin this correspondence by saying that I've been a collector of Topps Baseball Cards for the past 20 years. There's nothing better than opening a box of cards around the holiday season, especially Bowman Draft. As an avid collector, it's an even greater feeling to pull a low numbered card of a potential superstar.

When I first started collecting Bowman Draft Baseball Cards in 2004, I was only 14 years old. The price of a single box was fairly reasonable for a youngster like me. It was only $65 dollars. I spent my allowance on it. The price remained the same until a few years ago when the hobby boxes went away. The jumbo boxes replaced hobby, and although the price went up to $120 per box for 3 autographs, I felt the value was still there.

About two weeks ago, I was shocked and alarmed to see the price of jumbo boxes at $175 per for 3 autographs. Why is the price so expensive this year? It's incredibly difficult to justify this increase, given the lack of extra autographs that you're guaranteed. I'm gainfully employed and can afford this product if I so choose. Not to sound petty, but it's not me that I'm worried about. It's the future collector. It's a crying shame that Topps is putting the screws to the consumer. How do you expect future generations to afford your product?

For the first time since 2004, I will not be purchasing Bowman Draft Baseball Cards. Undoubtedly so, many people will purchase your product; however, it's principle that matters. Hopefully I'm not the only one that echos the sentiments raised above. Maybe then, Topps will care about the consumer as opposed to basking in the power of licensed monopoly.

Thank you for your time.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
This is the email I sent:

“I wanted to begin this correspondence by saying that I've been a collector of Topps Baseball Cards for the past 87 years. There's nothing better than opening a box of cards on the toilet, especially Bowman Draft. As an avid collector, it's an even greater feeling to pull my junk while pulling a low numbered card of a potential superstar.

When I first started collecting Bowman Draft Baseball Cards in 1947, I was only 62 years old. The price of a single box was fairly reasonable for a whipper snapper like me. It was only .5 cents. I spent my entire paycheck on it. The price remained the same until a few years ago when the hobby boxes went away. The jumbo boxes replaced hobby, and although the price went up to $120 per box for 3 autographs, I felt the value was still there.

About two weeks ago, I was shocked and alarmed to see the price of jumbo boxes at $175 per for 3 autographs. Why is the price so expensive this year? It's incredibly difficult to justify this increase, given the lack of extra autographs that you're guaranteed, and the extremely expensive AIDS medication I’m on. I'm retired and can no longer afford this product. Not to sound petty, but it's not me that I'm worried about, it’s the kids. The GOD DAMN KIDS! It's a crying shame that Topps is bending all of us over and making us grab our ankles. I may prefer that in my personal life, but I don’t like it when Topps does it to me. How do you expect future generations to afford your product?

For the first time since tomorrow, I will not be purchasing Bowman Draft Baseball Cards. Undoubtedly so, many people will purchase your product because they’re idiots (and Leaf sucks); however, it's principle that matters. Hopefully I'm not the only one that echos the sentiments raised above. Maybe then, Topps will care about the consumer as opposed to basking in the power of licensed monopoly.

Go to Hell.”

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
My email:

Topps, why were prices affordable under Obama but not under trump? Make draft affordable again!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.

“I wanted to begin this correspondence by saying that I've been a collector of Topps Baseball Cards for the past 87 years. There's nothing better than opening a box of cards on the toilet, especially Bowman Draft. As an avid collector, it's an even greater feeling to pull my junk while pulling a low numbered card of a potential superstar.

When I first started collecting Bowman Draft Baseball Cards in 1947, I was only 62 years old. The price of a single box was fairly reasonable for a whipper snapper like me. It was only .5 cents. I spent my entire paycheck on it. The price remained the same until a few years ago when the hobby boxes went away. The jumbo boxes replaced hobby, and although the price went up to $120 per box for 3 autographs, I felt the value was still there.

About two weeks ago, I was shocked and alarmed to see the price of jumbo boxes at $175 per for 3 autographs. Why is the price so expensive this year? It's incredibly difficult to justify this increase, given the lack of extra autographs that you're guaranteed, and the extremely expensive AIDS medication I’m on. I'm retired and can no longer afford this product. Not to sound petty, but it's not me that I'm worried about, it’s the kids. The GOD DAMN KIDS! It's a crying shame that Topps is bending all of us over and making us grab our ankles. I may prefer that in my personal life, but I don’t like it when Topps does it to me. How do you expect future generations to afford your product?

For the first time since tomorrow, I will not be purchasing Bowman Draft Baseball Cards. Undoubtedly so, many people will purchase your product because they’re idiots (and Leaf sucks); however, it's principle that matters. Hopefully I'm not the only one that echos the sentiments raised above. Maybe then, Topps will care about the consumer as opposed to basking in the power of licensed monopoly.

Go to Hell.”

I actually got a pretty good laugh out of this.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side

Go to Hell.”

LOL, now there's the Gilf Slayer we all know and love! 133 years old and he's still got it. Slay on playa, slay on....

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
Can't even buy a box of this with my welfare check anymore...screw these capitalist pigs!!!

I am by no means against Capitalism. Politically I identify as a Libertarian and free market Capitalism is a crucial part of Libertarian theory. However, the basic definition of capitalism is the exchange of capital for goods and services. Essentially, a product is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Yes, Topps is going to make a crap load of money and they have every right to do so. No government entity should have the authority to stop them. However, it's the consumer who controls free market outcomes. If we stop buying a product due to price increases, that means less profit for Topps.

Last edited:

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
I am by no means against Capitalism. Politically I identify as a Libertarian and free market Capitalism is a crucial part of Libertarian theory. However, the basic definition of capitalism is the exchange of capital for goods and services. Essentially, a product is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Yes, Topps is going to make a crap load of money and they have every right to do so. No government entity should have the authority to stop them. However, it's the consumer who controls free market outcomes. If we stop buying a product due to price increases, that means less profit for Topps.

Just to let you know, my goofy non-hilarious remark wasn't meant to be a jab at your e-mail. AnthonyCorona is my arch-nemesis whom I feel compelled to constantly troll. I also just so happened to be watching some Swedish political thriller on my mHz Choice subscription about some neo-**** terrorists who want to destroy capitalism right before reading his witty political comment so I thought, "now's my chance".

BTW: I too identify myself as a Libertarian and agree 100% with what you just said.

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
Just to let you know, my goofy non-hilarious remark wasn't meant to be a jab at your e-mail. AnthonyCorona is my arch-nemesis whom I feel compelled to constantly troll. I also just so happened to be watching some Swedish political thriller on my mHz Choice subscription about some neo-**** terrorists who want to destroy capitalism right before reading his witty political comment so I thought, "now's my chance".

BTW: I too identify myself as a Libertarian and agree 100% with what you just said.

No offense taken, mate!

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA

Here I am thinking we’re internet best friends

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
To be fair, I think breakers drive up the price and I can’t see that changing anytime soon.

yep, I think that too. I think it's also why it is harder for me to do what I like to do when I buy wax - buy from the secondary market after the prices have decreased quite a bit from the release price. Breakers probably eat a lot of product inventory so there is a lot more scarcity and price support for that scarce inventory by the time I am looking to buy some wax to bust.

My other thought is that Topps can charge that much and not suffer from decreased sales given the popularity of the product. People already have O's over anticipation of the product early in the baseball season.

Makes me glad I do h/c sets of draft each year - let some sucker spend almost $400 on draft products this year and I'll get a paper and chrome base set for $50'ish.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
Makes me glad I do h/c sets of draft each year - let some sucker spend almost $400 on draft products this year and I'll get a paper and chrome base set for $50'ish.

I contact guys who buy teams and try to buy a few base of players I need for IP autos. Much more affordable!

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I contact guys who buy teams and try to buy a few base of players I need for IP autos. Much more affordable!

I collect base sets (which is good because I get to know 30 teams pretty good, not the 3 teams Topps knows about) and with no MLB team within 8 hours by car to me, the most MLB exposure I get outside of card collecting is a local Triple-A team and RSN coverage of the Rockies.

cardcop05

Nov 15, 2018
NYC
Topps hasn't cared one bit about what collectors think since 2010 once Eisner got a total grip on Topps!

They blocked access to all Topps Executives (so they have no clue what's really going on) by email or phone.

And after their HUGE THEFT by Duryea, PA employees of OUR best redemptions and replacements, Topps hired the two witches (Minerva and Sabrina)
to send us JUNK PLAYER replacements with low serial numbers that Beckett had ALWAYS overpriced! I got screwed out of (38) redemptions from 2010-
2013 (worth over $600)!
I got two cards that I could live with and the rest were WORTHLESS JUNK, even after getting JOE KELLACHAN involved twice.
Kellachan is as useless and stupid as the witches. He sent me ONE box of 2014 Allen & Ginter (after saying he was sending two) with a huge crease in
the box top (where the 1/1 cards were hidden). So this was obviously a searched box that someone returned for an unsearched box. Of course the box
didn't have one good hit either (which most can be weighed for- in a sealed box if you know how).

Members online

Latest posts