Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Cardinals sign Andrew Miller.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Yeah, that’s the first thing I thought.

I hope it works out well, but the Cardinals recent history with relievers isn’t great.

We shall see.

I actually like the vesting option based on appearances over two years. If he meets that and it vests the chances are he's been pretty good. The money isn't outrageous. I'm still on the "Throw AA/AAA pitchers with a Plus pitch in the pen and see what happens aka The Jordan Hicks Plan" train but I can't be too mad about the Miller signing.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
I actually like the vesting option based on appearances over two years. If he meets that and it vests the chances are he's been pretty good. The money isn't outrageous. I'm still on the "Throw AA/AAA pitchers with a Plus pitch in the pen and see what happens aka The Jordan Hicks Plan" train but I can't be too mad about the Miller signing.

I’m cautiously optimistic.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
Yeah, that’s the first thing I thought.

I hope it works out well, but the Cardinals recent history with relievers isn’t great.

We shall see.

Greg Holland v2.0?

I'm still on the "Throw AA/AAA pitchers with a Plus pitch in the pen and see what happens aka The Jordan Hicks Plan" train but I can't be too mad about the Miller signing.

Or go with the "hyped as a prospect but failed as a major league starter so toss him in the pen and see what he can do as a reliever" trick. Got any of those on your team? It's a tried-and-true technique that has worked for many in the past including none other than Andrew Miller.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
Honestly, I think spending over $10 million per season for a relief pitcher is not just super risky as they tend to have a short half-life (i.e. best in the league this year and 5+ ERA next year) but also simply not worth the money unless they perform like a top 3 relief pitcher. A relief pitchers contract should only be worth a maximum of one third that of a starter who performs at a similar level (considering they *roughly* pitch one third as many IP as a starter in a full season) and should ideally be of a much shorter duration, like 1-3 years.

Andrew Miller had three straight seasons where he put up 2+ WAR before suffering a poor 2018 season which could have been due to lingering injury issues. During that 3 year span he most certainly pitched like a top 3 relief pitcher and would have been worthy of receiving a $10+ mil per season contract (you have to be an elite relief pitcher to put up a 3 WAR season in which he did from 2016-2017) but is he still capable of producing at that level? I'd say it's possible but I probably wouldn't bet on it. So unless he becomes a 2-3 WAR bullpen arm again I'd say $12.5 mil per season is a little too much but the Cardinals were still smart in only signing him for 2 years (with a third year option) as it reduces a significant amount of risk.

Members online

Latest posts