Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Starting to hate Topps and collecting.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
Rant to follow.

When does the madness end with retreading the same cards over and over in Topps Archives Buy Back Signature Series. Since 2015 they have used the same cards with just a different serial number, and since 2015 there have been 26 1/1' in 15. The did not have Juan in 16 Archives Buy Back Signature Series thank goodness. In 17 a whopping 63 1/1s and in 18 Archives Buy Back Signature Series there are so far as known 19 and counting 1/1s. that is 118 1/1's just in Topps Archives Buy Back Signature Series.

Since 2014 there have been 317 1/1's produced with all products. That is just nuts kind of takes the fun out of collecting especially when only one collector can afford to buy 85% of them. This might sound like sour grapes, then so be it.:mad:

P.S.
Today is a full moon, so you can also call it.

FULL MOON MADNESS!

rebelpawn

Aug 7, 2008
La Jolla. CA
I hear ya man, that's frustrating. But you know what? When I stopped trying to get every single card of my players that I collect, and was just be thankful that this is fun a hobby and not life and death, I was much happier. You're never going to have everything, just admit that and collect what you can. I get that so many BS 1/1's are out there but in the end it's just cardboard.
If it makes you happy, enjoy it, if it doesn't move on to something else that does. :)

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I have to admit that it is much easier to see both sides of the issue when your player is not featured in a set like that, but I noticed all the low print Juan cards myself. I have come to appreciate the uniqueness of this issue and have been watching for deals the last couple of years. Same issue with Garvey a couple years, not nearly as many 1/1s, but a lot of 10-15 and less print runs.

Funny, I was just thinking earlier today though that I think the BEST CARD IDEA EVER to come from card makers was the buyback and Fan Favorite/Archives autographs and the fact that semi stars and home town favorites have gotten more exposure. That is my favorite aspect of collecting today, being able to grab nice affordable (and even a few pricy) autographs of players who retired before the GU/AU boom.

I know that you have to sell product to remain profitable and in business, but the SP autos are frustrating to all but those lucky enough to pull one or those with money to burn.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
I also collect a player who's been retired for more than a decade. And I'm basically done with new releases from Topps. And Panini too.

For 2018 the number of unique cards is over 300, and so far I own exactly 19 of them. It's exhausting trying to keep up with this sh*t, and I can't afford it anyway. Plus, it's getting more and more rare to find a new release whose design I like. But that's what can happen when Topps controls so much of the market - their cards are all designed by the same people so they tend to have a consistent feel and theme. And I usually don't dig it.

So this year I decided to focus my time and money on cards from the playing career. The only time I buy a newly released card is if I really like it. Period.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
I can understand the frustration. Shown below are all the renditions of the 1987 Topps card I had...from 2014-2017. 32 of them! 2018 marked the 5th year in a row where they did buybacks of the 87 card.

uypfCl.jpg

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Any idea that is remotely well received when released they tend to beat into the ground with increasing numbers for the next 5 years until their customers hate it. And they don’t give a thought to the details (RE: did we release this same card last year?)

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Wow. Talk about making the OP's point. And none of those are even your customs right? They were all printed by the Mothership!

Let's just say I'm over the endless stream of new buybacks. I will usually get one example of a series just for fun, but otherwise I stay away.

I can understand the frustration. Shown below are all the renditions of the 1987 Topps card I had...from 2014-2017. 32 of them! 2018 marked the 5th year in a row where they did buybacks of the 87 card.

uypfCl.jpg

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
i got off the cycle recently of gotta have all the cards. cut back to just playing years. I even sold some of my pc. which at first was painful but know ok with it.
i just buy what i like and try to fill in some sets. Topps been sucking for a long time.

timtom

Apr 24, 2013
Nashville, TN
Ive actually enjoyed this set for bagwell. So far I've picked up 30 total different ones with 25 being 1/1. There was not a whole lot of duplication between this year and the 2015 year. Luckily he wasn't in the 2016 or 2017 releases. I like that this year they have used more bowman, finest and chrome as well as having them sign more inserts. That being said if they did this again I don't know that I would be as aggressive at trying to pick them up.

I just wish Topps would provide a checklist of the individual players with print runs. Just want to know what I'm chasing.

Dan

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
i have a low "A" team here and i get to meet all the players , get autos IP , pictures and have meals with whole team once a month with group of other host families . That's about 60 players a season . many are off teams in three years . Those will have CHEAP cards and i will buy some .In twenty five years having a team equals 1000 plus players , only 180 made pro . Still there is that card you never see for sale at any price .

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
Wow. Talk about making the OP's point. And none of those are even your customs right? They were all printed by the Mothership!

Let's just say I'm over the endless stream of new buybacks. I will usually get one example of a series just for fun, but otherwise I stay away.

exactly 0 of these are customs!

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
i have a low "A" team here and i get to meet all the players , get autos IP , pictures and have meals with whole team once a month with group of other host families . That's about 60 players a season . many are off teams in three years . Those will have CHEAP cards and i will buy some .In twenty five years having a team equals 1000 plus players , only 180 made pro . Still there is that card you never see for sale at any price .
It's funny how you often write about your experience with your local minor league team in threads that have nothing to do with what you write. I like reading about your relationship with the team and players though.

mhcook

Feb 22, 2011
When Topps rolled out these, I was instantly in love. At one point in time I had around 15 1/1 McGwire's and probably 30+ Eckersleys. After they abused the concept and used the same cards repeatedly, it completely ruined it for me. I'm so over them that I have sold or have listed every archives I own/owned. Both players had thousands of cards to choose from and they had to use the same ones year after year.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Letch77

Jan 28, 2018
Midwest
I think that the 1/1 craze is shear stupidity and it proves that there's a sucker born every minute. If they didn't make 25 different 1/1s for a star player, then it may have some meaning. But when they over-produce 1/1 cards, they lose any significance they may have had, IMO. It's like how we used to view "game used" cards...they can be picked up for a buck now because they were over-produced to the point where every collector had one.

On a separate note, there are so many things that irk me about today's card companies. In no particular order:
1. Recycling older card designs.
2. Creating 20 different variations/parallels of a set.
3. Producing tons of cards of a long-retired player (mostly HOFers) to include in new releases.
4. Making virtually every desirable product "high end" so that only adults can afford them.
5. Redemptions and buy-backs.

What it boils down to is card companies are living in the past while exploiting collectors.

Rant over...Merry Christmas, everyone!

Last edited:

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Preach on brother Beavis. And merry Christmas to everyone from me too!

I think that the 1/1 craze is shear stupidity and it proves that there's a sucker born every minute. If they didn't make 25 different 1/1s for a star player, then it may have some meaning. But when they over-produce 1/1 cards, they lose any significance they may have had, IMO. It's like how we used to view "game used" cards...they can be picked up for a buck now because they were over-produced to the point where every collector had one.

On a separate note, there are so many things that irk me about today's card companies. In no particular order:
1. Recycling older card designs.
2. Creating 20 different variations/parallels of a set.
3. Producing tons of cards of a long-retired player (mostly HOFers) to include in new releases.
4. Making virtually every desirable product "high end" so that only adults can afford them.
5. Redemptions and buy-backs.

What it boils down to is card companies are living in the past while exploiting collectors.

Rant over...Merry Christmas, everyone!

cardcop05

Nov 15, 2018
NYC
"Starting" to hate Topps? I've HATED Topps since they committed their very first company fraud in 2013 by sending JUNK Redemption Replacements
for the decent autographs we were owed that Topps Duryea, PA employees robbed Topps blind of. Then Michael Eisner makes a decision to replace
the Supervisor & Manager who stole TONS of On Card star autographs with two WITCHES who know nothing about sports or our hobby.

Most know Minerva and Sabrina; the two Topps Customer Service Supervisor & Manager (respectively) WITCHES! They made sure we were sent JUNK player (with low serial numbers that Beckett always overpriced) autographs as replacements for the Redemptions we were owed, and in most cases specifically WE WANTED! But no, they took the easy way out and passed that GIANT THEFT onto all collectors owed redemptions from 2010-2014, or pulled damaged cards that they sent for replacements THAT WERE STOLEN TOO!

It did no good asking for Sabrina's boss: JOE KELLACHAN because he's the CHEAPEST & most ignorant card company Executive I ever had the displeasure to have to deal with. He promised me all kinds of great things on the phone, then sent me less than half of what he promised AND any single autographs were DAMAGED (like a collector returned it for a replacement and he thought I wouldn't notice the BAD DAMAGE???).

Plus this was just the beginning of the END of good Customer Service from Topps. As I understand it, their Customer Service is just as terrible now as it was when I got BURNED BADLY with the redemption On Card Autographs I needed for my collection (or for donations). Plus all of the 2011 Allen & Ginter redemption Relic cards that Topps kept giving me delivery dates for, yet I NEVER GOT ONE of them! Then a year ago I saw Relic cards I WAS OWED that Topps (MICHAEL) stated are "not going to be made" on eBay for $10-$15 each being sold as "short prints". WTH?

I will never buy a box of Topps again in my life! MICHAEL EISNER is responsible for Topps becoming a fraudulent Corporate @sshole run GREEDY company. So anyone hurt by Topps needs to write a letter directly to Michael Eisner at Topps Headquarters at One Whitehall St. in New York, NY.
The full info is on Topps' website. Tell him exactly how Topps (under HIS MANAGEMENT) has hurt you! Then and only then will Topps stand a chance of improving...

Topps initiated a BLOCK in 2013, so no collectors could ever contact a Topps Executive by email or phone. So don't waste your time trying to get to EISNER those ways, I know, I already wasted my time and discovered the BLOCKS they set up! This way no Executives right under Eisner think
anything is wrong with Topps! They only know what EISNER TELLS THEM! This is exactly what he did at Disney during his last few years there when he nearly destroyed Disney with one movie FLOP after another and another. DO YOUR RESEARCH AND YOU'LL FIND JUST WHAT I DID!

You'd be much better off buying only pre-2006 On Card Certified Autograph Inserts whose prices of stars are finally coming down and will continue to do so over the next couple of years. I love 2001-2004 Topps Archives/Fan Favorites Autos, and 2002-2004 Donruss Recollection autos. Plus 2004-2005 were the best Upper Deck baseball products On Card auto releases. Stick to these On Card Certified Autographs and you cannot go wrong. WE DON'T NEED THIS NEW JUNK CARD COMPANIES ARE SPITTING OUT! The same autograph players year after year by Topps (which only helps Topps) is the dumbest thing. The best way to get even is to NOT BUY NEW BOXES OF CARDS! Stick to pre-2006 products where there's far more than enough for anyone to collect; no matter what kind of cards you collect!

James

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts