Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Would you consider this the hobby's very first baseball sketch card?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
In 2005, Topps Gallery featured the first packed-out original art sketch cards. Each of the 195 cards in the set had a 1/1 parallel of original art done by noted author and sports artist Murray Olderman, who had done comic art for the backs of Topps Baseball Cards in the 1960s, and later had a syndicated sports cartoon carried in 100's of national newspapers.

Legitimate question: So if I just acquired the #1 card from this set (the Alex Rodriguez original Olderman sketch), can I claim to own the hobby's very first sketch card?

arod05TOPPSGALLERYOLDERMAN.jpg

I know artwork was used way back in the 1800's, but they were used to produce the cards and the original artwork wasn't packed out. And yes, the sketch doesn't exactly capture the likeness of Arod very well. That was a common complaint about many of Olderman's sketches.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
You would be assuming that he sketched them in numerical order. Technically speaking, that makes knowing which one is the first sketch card in the hobby impossible unless we know for sure that he did them in set order.

That same logic can be used for any regular card numbering too. People like to say that card #1 is the first card printed, but not necessarily, since they are all printed on sheets with many other cards. 132 cards are all typically printed at the same time.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Legitimate question: So if I just acquired the #1 card from this set (the Alex Rodriguez original Olderman sketch), can I claim to own the hobby's very first sketch card?
No, for the logical reason that mrmopar wrote.

And that sketch looks more like Alex Cora than Alex Rodriguez. I get why they used that artist, because of his history as Topps' cartoonist, but he was a bad artist for realistic faces. Those sketches look very amateurish, although there are far worse sketch sets.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
Unless the artist came out and said he did another one first I would say yes. From a alphabetical, chronological listing that would be the first.

Members online

Latest posts