Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2019 hobby (or non) goals!

griffey-collector
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by banjar View Post
    So....after the Great 1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold PWCC Feeding Frenzy, goal #2 is officially checked off!

Attachment 86286
    that's freaking amazing! congrats!
    Sweet Spot Signatures 922 and counting
    Sweet Sigs 64/71 = 90%

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I can't wait to see it when I get home in May.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelstepper View Post
    that's freaking amazing! congrats!
    Collecting Roberto Alomar. Over 4000 unique cards, but always looking for those I'm missing!

griffey-collector
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by banjar View Post
    Thanks. I can't wait to see it when I get home in May.
    I would be going insane not being able to hold and see something like that immediately
    Sweet Sigs 64/71 = 90%

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jszczech View Post
    1. Continue working 70% of total cards from 2017/2018 and 2019. Very close on 2017 but still at just over 50 for 2018. Way to may low numbered parallel cards this year.
    2. Complete the sell off of my Morneau collection.
    3. Add 2 1/1's to my Puckett collection.
    4. Add 5 Exhibits to my Puckett set. I didn't even see one I needed this year so it may be impossible.
    5. Continue to reduce overall debt. I made great strides in this area this year and hope to continue this in 2019.
    6. Lose weight. Any area I struggle with tremendously. I really need to get a solid loss in 2019. My goal is to lose 50lbs.
    Figured I'm overdue for an update.

1. Right now 2017 is at 68%, 2018 is at 52%, and 2019 is at 55%. I am slowly getting close to the goal but need to add some really low numbered stuff to make it.
    2. Complete
    3. Added one so far this year. Missed on a few others. Hopefully land a few by the time the year is done.
    4. Haven't even seen one I need.
    5. Basically down to just my mortgage payment. I have been paying more each month to the principle so this heading the right direction.
    6. Been up and down so far. Right now I am down 11 lbs from the start of the year but I still think I can get there.
    Last edited by jszczech; 06-23-2019 at 02:59 PM.
    Kirby Puckett Collection: 2148/2990 71.84% (As of 5/13/14)
    Current Most Wanted Kirby Puckett's (As of 2/5/17):
    1. 1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold
    2. 1992 Ace Novelty #307
    3. 2015 Panini Prizm Blue Baseball Retail Parallel
    4. 2016 Donruss 1982 Test Proofs Magenta/10
    5. 2015 Panini Cooperstown Golf

griffey-collector
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jszczech View Post
    Figured I'm overdue for an update.

1. Right now 2017 is at 68%, 2018 is at 52%, and 2019 is at 55%. I am slowly getting close to the goal but need to add some really low numbered stuff to make it.
    2. Complete
    3. Added one so far this year. Missed on a few others. Hopefully land a few by the time the year is done.
    4. Haven't even seen one I need.
    5. Basically down to just my mortgage payment. I haven't paying more each month to the principle so this heading the right direction.
    6. Been up and down so far. Right now I am down 11 lbs from the start of the year but I still think I can get there.
    looks like you're headed in the right direction on all accounts. great progress
    Sweet Sigs 64/71 = 90%

griffey-collector
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Here are my 6 month update:

goal #1: stick to my main PC's.
    I accomplished many things in 2018 but also spent a ton on stuff I'm now trying to sell because the newness has worn off.

Hahaha yeah. I was on fire the first 4 months only picking up PC needs and letting everything else go. Then my pickups dried up and I've filled the void by starting a trout PC

goal #2: I have 111 cards remaining on my needs lists for my sweet spot sets. down from 260+ this time last year. I'd like to realistically get that down to 85-90
    (and possibly start 03 classic)

I've started 03 classic AND my needs list was in the mid 80's by April. Still many needs simply aren't showing up, hence the Trout pc

goal #3: sell all the stuff I dont need. this is a constant. I keep buying blasters for no reason, topps living set suckered me In and old PC starts that flamed out sit in a box. some has disappeared but I'd love to get rid of the entire thing.

Still grabbed a few blasters now and then but I'd say my sales box is down to about 50% of what it was. slow process but it is going out the door.

goal #4: continue the transition on my HOF auto PC to 2004 legendary cuts. sold a huge chunk of misc years. now waiting for new listings

This one is the easiest. I've snagged a handful here or there. Again, nothing new seems to get listed. A bunch I need available but all overpriced
    Sweet Sigs 64/71 = 90%

griffey-collector
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    **December 2019 update**

With the new year less than a week away I thought some users would like to post what they hope to accomplish hobby wise or if they want to share, non hobby wise.
    My goal lists have been getting smaller each year it seems but my love of the hobby has not. Anyway, post em up and have fun in seeing what's accomplished by the end of the year.

Starting the last few months and into the new year making a few personal life choices my hobby stature has changed a bit but is still ever present.

goal #1: stick to my main PC's.
    I accomplished many things in 2018 but also spent a ton on stuff I'm now trying to sell because the newness has worn off.

This did not happen AT ALL! haha Started a Trout PC in June and started a refractor collection of sure HOF's and superstars
    Examples

goal #2: I have 111 cards remaining on my needs lists for my sweet spot sets. down from 260+ this time last year. I'd like to realistically get that down to 85-90
    (and possibly start 03 classic)

I started 03 classic. Down to 77 cards on my needs lists!

goal #3: sell all the stuff I dont need. this is a constant. I keep buying blasters for no reason, topps living set suckered me In and old PC starts that flamed out sit in a box. some has disappeared but I'd love to get rid of the entire thing.

I've sold quite a bit but have picked up just as much stuff in return so this ones a push

goal #4: continue the transition on my HOF auto PC to 2004 legendary cuts. sold a huge chunk of misc years. now waiting for new listings

Still ongoing but made progress. for whatever reason 04 legendary cuts people think need to be priced 4-10x what any other years cuts go for.

examples:

Sweet Sigs 64/71 = 90%

mantle7man
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dano7 View Post
    1. More IP auto collecting at Salem & Pulaski games this season!
    2. Continue to find older Yankee player autographs and add Yankee autographs to my collection.
    3. Find a 1964 Yankee Team tattoo.
    4. Find a 1965 Topps Transfers Elston Howard in good condition.
    5. Find T209 Roanoke player cards.
    6. Find a PM 10 Mantle blue portrait pin.
    7. Start watching for a 1956 Yogi Berra Yellow Basepath pin at a reasonable price.
    Did well on the first 4, but no luck finding any of the last 3. Guess that those and the first two will be part of my continuation for 2020.
    Collector of Autographs, TTM autographs, Vintage, Yankees and Mantle
    Sets completed 1955-1965, 1967, 1969, 1951 Topps Red & Blue Back, 1951 Bowman, 1955 Bowman, 1963 Fleer, 1965 Topps Embossed, 1961 Topps Stamps, 1962 Topps Stamps & 1968 Topps Game.
    Yankee needs:Two 1962 Topps stamp pairs. Need T209 Contentnea Roanoke players.dano 7 by Danny Secrist, on Flickr

piledriver1
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smapdi View Post
    1) Add 3+ 2011 Marquee Museum Collection autos, giving me 90, or 75% of the set. The Koufaxes listed on ebay for the last year have apparently gone away (and NOT drunk-bought by me), but they are getting really few and really far between now.
    2) Finish my 2017 Topps 1987 Refractor Rainbow collection, gold thru green. Only missing 2 Judges for S1, and I'm over 50% on S2. These are also getting tough to find.
    3) Make progress towards completing 1941 Play Ball. Still need Joe D, Williams, Greenberg, Reese, and several other big names, but they aren't hard to find at all, just the right ones at the right price.
    4) Add at least one to my 1971 Topps Greatest Moments PSA set. Down to 5 SPs, they're HTF and super pricey, even for a 5 or 6, but I'd rather hold out for 7s like the majority of my set.
    5) My wife and I are also planning to go to the National this year for the first time. This will require a lot of saving and selling to really do it right. We also want to check off 2 or 3 ballparks off our list. CWS is home 7/30-8/1, and Cubs are home 8/1-8/4, so they're targets. Brewers are out of town the whole week. Detroit, Cleveland, StL, etc., all might be a little far.
    I accomplished #1, up to 92/120, including a Koufax, who was the biggest name I was lacking. Waiting for a Gwynn or Chipper is going to be tough.

We did #5, spending 3 days at the National and going to Cubs and White Sox games. Looking forward to going back to Chicago in 2 years and Cleveland the year after.

Sooooo close on #2. I still need the Orange Judge to complete S1, and 6 cards for S2. Oddly, 4 of the cards I need are all the color Mattinglys. I just cannot get those (the Orange on ebay for $45 is a silly price). Surely someone will list a rainbow on ebay one day and I'll knock them all out in one shot.

I did nothing towards #3. Just running out of steam here. Maybe next year.

Really wanted to make progress on #4, and all the ones I needed were listed on ebay in a small window of time this summer, but it was right during National crunch time and I chose not to spend the extra $ on them. Very frustrating that I didn't find any I needed at Natty.
    Looking for 2011 Topps Marquee Museum autographs, rare Frank Thomases, and any Grady Sizemores I don't have

Kyouk20
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bstanwood View Post
    Smaller set of goals this year, the little one eats money, honestly I think that's what's happening, I have no idea how something so small could be responsible for so much cheaper of my paycheck.

Tim Wakefield PC-i hope to equal my gains this year and add 5 cards from his playing days, anything new I'll go after as well.

Craig Biggio- Really pumped the breaks here, picked up maybe 100 total in 2018. I'd like to add 10 Topps Tek needs from his various years. I'm down to one from 99, 30b, would really like that one.

Red Sox PC - it will be an off year of the Sox HOF so nothing new there, would like to pick up a bob unglaub and doc gessler, they were both captains in the early 1900s. I'd like to add a Jimmy Collins but I doubt this is the year I drop the money for a nice one that I'd be happy with.

Soooo 18 cards that's what I'm shooting for...seems low, I'll likely get more.
    1-was able to knock off 3 from my needs list from prior years, not a big number but one was the 99 Fleer starting 9, so it was a good year. Wake appeared in many Panini releases this year and I was able to add the overwhelming majority of them. .
    2-added somewhere around 20 new biggios, a few nice teks from various years, including a 98 diffractor, couple 99 gold's and two Galactica from more recent years. Still need 99 Tek pattern 30b to complete the base run
    3-Sox PC was slow as expected, added a few current players, couple prospect autos and a 1922 derrill Pratt caramel. I've started a new thought for the PC moving forward, possibly to be unveiled in the 2020 goals.

Featured Contributor
    The best players in history?
    Super Moderator
     Topnotchsy
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tommy

Quote Originally Posted by Topnotchsy View Post
    My goals:

1) Continue to develop the Integration/Jackie Robinson/Roy Campanella Collection - I have been working on what may be the most important pickup(s) of my career over the last few months and hope to be able to share those soon. It may mean a slow-down in the collecting to some degree but it would be the crown-jewel of my collection and something that I think has real historical importance

Was a crazy year. In a few months from the end of 2018 into 2019, I had a chance to acquire 2 Roy Campanella Minor League contracts. For those who may not be familiar, Campanella was the 4th African American player to sign a contract with a white team. Many people don't realize that he, Newcombe and Jackie all signed in the 1945-46 off-season. While Jackie was the first to sign a minor league contract with the Dodgers would break the MLB color barrier, all played in the Minors in 1946 (John Wright was the other).

Campanella initially signed with the Dodger's Minor League team in Danville, Illinois, but there was push back on the idea of the league integrating, so a few weeks later he re-signed to played in Nashua. In 2 separate transactions, I was able to acquire each of these contracts. They are the centerpiece of my collection

Later in the year I came across an auction for a Negro League baseball signed by Jackie and others. The signature is very faded and the ball is not in amazing shape, but I've only ever seen (including looking through old auction archives) a handful of Jackie signed Negro League items, and was lucky enough to pick it up.

2) Continue to search for cool lineup cards and try to add at least 1-2 new HOF managers. I still haven't found a Yogi Berra signed one at a remotely reasonable price, so he's near the top of the list of ones that should be attainable. Also hoping to find a few from interesting/significant games.

I believe the only new HOF manager I was able to find in the previous year was Eddie Mathews, but the lineup card collection as a whole grew significantly.

I was able to acquire a couple of major collections, the most significant was the Tommy Lasorda's personal collection from the last decade or so of his managerial career. It included Pedro's MLB debut and 1st win, Mike Piazza's 1st HR, Dennis Martinez' perfect game and hundreds of others.

Later in the year I was able to acquire a treasure trove of vintage lineup cards, ranging from 1954-1956. The lot included lineup cards from the rookie season of Hank Aaron, Roberto Clemente and Ernie Banks, along with lineup cards from the 54 Giants and 55 Dodgers. To me, post WWII was the greatest era in baseball history, and so finding lineup cards with Musial, Mays, Jackie Robinson etc was amazing

It's a little crazy what I was able to come across and this post is already getting very long, but throughout the year I was lucky enough to have the chance to acquire MLB debut lineup cards of Pedro Martinez, Frank Thomas, Ivan Rodriguez, Curt Schilling and Ronald Acuna Jr. That's far and away more debuts than I'd acquired in all my years of collecting combined.

One other lineup card that I think warrants mentioning. A few months back someone showed me a blank lineup card from the Orioles game that never was from 9/11/2001.

Like for so many people, 9/11/2001 was a date that had a massive impact on my life. In some ways I can literally view my life through the lens of Before 9/11 and After 9/11.

It took some time, but I was able to acquire that lineup card. I had many more expensive purchases over the year, but none more significant.

3) Keep an eye out for interesting WWII-related baseball items. I picked up a program signed by Stan Musial this year, but it's been a slow area of collecting for the most part.

I didn't find a ton in this area, but have focused mostly on programs, and picked up a couple of new ones and some duplicates that were cheap

4) Keep an eye out for interesting Negro-League related items

No major acquisitions in this department

5) Consider starting to omre formally collect signed contracts, which I think are a really interesting type of collectable, and I've picked up a few over the years

Nothing new here

6) In general, be more selective and ask myself "do I think I will be happy/exicted that I own this in a year from now?" so that I don't pick up items that I lose interest in pretty quickly

One area that I've definitely gravitated to, which kind of touches on the other areas I collect are barnstorming items (mostly programs). For decades, MLB players would barnstorm in the offseason. In many cases they played against Negro League teams etc. making the games the only chance that many early great Negro League players had to play against MLB players. One of the most famous examples was the tour that Bob Feller and Satchell Paige did in 1946 (note the spelling of Satchell. He dropped the 2nd L around 1949). They played over 20 games after the 1946 season. One really cool note is that towards the very end of the tour, the teams fell apart and changed a bit, and Jackie Robinson ended up playing a few games. One of the programs I was able to acquire has Jackie in the lineup
    Looking back at the year, there's a pretty good chance that this was what "peaking" is like for my collection. As I've shifted more from cards to other baseball items I sold a lot which helped finance a decent amount of this I'm not sure I'll ever be able to top this.
    Last edited by Topnotchsy; 12-18-2019 at 01:32 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123