Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2019 hobby (or non) goals!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
With the new year less than a week away I thought some users would like to post what they hope to accomplish hobby wise or if they want to share, non hobby wise.
My goal lists have been getting smaller each year it seems but my love of the hobby has not. Anyway, post em up and have fun in seeing what's accomplished by the end of the year.

Starting the last few months and into the new year making a few personal life choices my hobby stature has changed a bit but is still ever present.

goal #1: stick to my main PC's.
I accomplished many things in 2018 but also spent a ton on stuff I'm now trying to sell because the newness has worn off.

goal #2: I have 111 cards remaining on my needs lists for my sweet spot sets. down from 260+ this time last year. I'd like to realistically get that down to 85-90
(and possibly start 03 classic)

goal #3: sell all the stuff I dont need. this is a constant. I keep buying blasters for no reason, topps living set suckered me In and old PC starts that flamed out sit in a box. some has disappeared but I'd love to get rid of the entire thing.

goal #4: continue the transition on my HOF auto PC to 2004 legendary cuts. sold a huge chunk of misc years. now waiting for new listings

I'll think of more later. this is a good start for now.
goal #5:

mhcook

Feb 22, 2011
1. Establish a personal rule to make myself more disciplined buying. A month or two ago I decided that rule would be to have a PC of 1,000 cards and for anything I bought I had to sell something to stay at 1k. I had closer to 1,500 cards in the PC at the time and have been doing a good job selling off stuff from the PC, but I'm still buying faster than I am selling, so I will have to figure out a rule I can follow.

2. Finish at least one set that I am working on. The options are:
- 1994 Action Packing Diamond - only missing ARod.
-1995 Signature Rookies Miracle on Ice - I haven't started on it yet, so only 42 to go.
- 1996 UD Reflections of Gold Autographs - need 4, unfortunately Jordan is one of the 4, but I will be happy to ever complete it even without him.
- 1997 Topps Gallery Peter Max Signature Series Serigraphs Baseball - only 3 more.
- 1997 Topps Gallery Peter Max Signature Series Serigraphs Football - missing 6
- 2001 UD USA Touch of Gold - missing 5
- 2003 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Autographs - missing 3 or 4 including Brinkley who was the whole reason I started collecting the SI sets.
- 2004 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Autographs - only 1 to go
- 2006 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Autographs - only 1 more, I have it but need a better copy.
- 2008 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Autographs - missing 5.

Happy New Year and lots of collecting success and fun!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Freedom Card Board mobile app

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
1. pick up what catches my eye, finnish my el duque 98 tek set
2. be alive to see the final season of game of thrones.

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
1. More IP auto collecting at Salem & Pulaski games this season!
2. Continue to find older Yankee player autographs and add Yankee autographs to my collection.
3. Find a 1964 Yankee Team tattoo.
4. Find a 1965 Topps Transfers Elston Howard in good condition.
5. Find T209 Roanoke player cards.
6. Find a PM 10 Mantle blue portrait pin.
7. Start watching for a 1956 Yogi Berra Yellow Basepath pin at a reasonable price.

Last edited:

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
1) Have fun
2) Save $40 per paycheck in the first half of the year, and go to the 2019 National Show in Chicago with $500 in my pocket to spend
3) Buy cards that have stories behind them, and inspire me to research new aspects of baseball history
4) Add to my Mark Grace and Don Zimmer collections
5) Add some pack issued sketch cards
6) Add to my local (McHenry Co, IL) collection of baseball items and cards
7) Buy a 1912 Frank Chance T207 and a 1907 Carl Lundgren Dietsche Postcard if found for a good deal
8) Finish my 1972 Topps Baseball Set (31 Hi# cards to go)

jszczech

Dec 27, 2010
Minnesota
1. Continue working 70% of total cards from 2017/2018 and 2019. Very close on 2017 but still at just over 50 for 2018. Way to may low numbered parallel cards this year.
2. Complete the sell off of my Morneau collection.
3. Add 2 1/1's to my Puckett collection.
4. Add 5 Exhibits to my Puckett set. I didn't even see one I needed this year so it may be impossible.
5. Continue to reduce overall debt. I made great strides in this area this year and hope to continue this in 2019.
6. Lose weight. Any area I struggle with tremendously. I really need to get a solid loss in 2019. My goal is to lose 50lbs.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
Smaller set of goals this year, the little one eats money, honestly I think that's what's happening, I have no idea how something so small could be responsible for so much cheaper of my paycheck.

Tim Wakefield PC-i hope to equal my gains this year and add 5 cards from his playing days, anything new I'll go after as well.

Craig Biggio- Really pumped the breaks here, picked up maybe 100 total in 2018. I'd like to add 10 Topps Tek needs from his various years. I'm down to one from 99, 30b, would really like that one.

Red Sox PC - it will be an off year of the Sox HOF so nothing new there, would like to pick up a bob unglaub and doc gessler, they were both captains in the early 1900s. I'd like to add a Jimmy Collins but I doubt this is the year I drop the money for a nice one that I'd be happy with.

Soooo 18 cards that's what I'm shooting for...seems low, I'll likely get more.

I failed miserably at my 2018 goals and quite frankly quit collecting for half the year. I just started spending money again last week and have completely retooled the direction of my collection.

1. Add to my Boston T206 set
2. Complete 2018 optic football set
3. Complete 2018 donruss football set
4. Reach 1500 unique nomars
5. Catalog my collection on my phone
6. Work on mike trout psa collection
7. ~add a Michael Jordan psa rookie~

Most importantly I’d like to have fun with cardboard again.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
I failed miserably at my 2018 goals and quite frankly quit collecting for half the year. I just started spending money again last week and have completely retooled the direction of my collection.

1. Add to my Boston T206 set
2. Complete 2018 optic football set
3. Complete 2018 donruss football set
4. Reach 1500 unique nomars
5. Catalog my collection on my phone
6. Work on mike trout psa collection
7. ~add a Michael Jordan psa rookie~

Most importantly I’d like to have fun with cardboard again.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

Yes, have fun! The T206 Boston set sounds great, so be sure to post the additions!

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
My goals:

1) Continue to develop the Integration/Jackie Robinson/Roy Campanella Collection - I have been working on what may be the most important pickup(s) of my career over the last few months and hope to be able to share those soon. It may mean a slow-down in the collecting to some degree but it would be the crown-jewel of my collection and something that I think has real historical importance

2) Continue to search for cool lineup cards and try to add at least 1-2 new HOF managers. I still haven't found a Yogi Berra signed one at a remotely reasonable price, so he's near the top of the list of ones that should be attainable. Also hoping to find a few from interesting/significant games.

3) Keep an eye out for interesting WWII-related baseball items. I picked up a program signed by Stan Musial this year, but it's been a slow area of collecting for the most part.

4) Keep an eye out for interesting *****-League related items

5) Consider starting to omre formally collect signed contracts, which I think are a really interesting type of collectable, and I've picked up a few over the years

6) In general, be more selective and ask myself "do I think I will be happy/exicted that I own this in a year from now?" so that I don't pick up items that I lose interest in pretty quickly

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
My goals:

1) Continue to develop the Integration/Jackie Robinson/Roy Campanella Collection - I have been working on what may be the most important pickup(s) of my career over the last few months and hope to be able to share those soon. It may mean a slow-down in the collecting to some degree but it would be the crown-jewel of my collection and something that I think has real historical importance

2) Continue to search for cool lineup cards and try to add at least 1-2 new HOF managers. I still haven't found a Yogi Berra signed one at a remotely reasonable price, so he's near the top of the list of ones that should be attainable. Also hoping to find a few from interesting/significant games.

3) Keep an eye out for interesting WWII-related baseball items. I picked up a program signed by Stan Musial this year, but it's been a slow area of collecting for the most part.

4) Keep an eye out for interesting *****-League related items

5) Consider starting to omre formally collect signed contracts, which I think are a really interesting type of collectable, and I've picked up a few over the years

6) In general, be more selective and ask myself "do I think I will be happy/exicted that I own this in a year from now?" so that I don't pick up items that I lose interest in pretty quickly

You already have my favorite collection on this or any other board, can’t wait to see the crown jewel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
1) Add more cards to my Alomar PC from his playing days, and reduce purchases of new issues even more than I already have. I figure 50 such cards is attainable, but the problem is I'm getting more and more into the really rare ones, so the price each is going higher and higher like Jackie Wilson.

2) Add one white whale to above mentioned PC. My above comment about card costs has implications on this goal.

3) Find a job that isn't sending me to the poor house. My above comment about card costs also has implications on this goal.

4) Get in better shape, and stay there. Typically I go back and forth, from exercising and feeling fine, to not exercising and getting flabby. Currently I'm headed in that second direction. Don't see that changing until I get home in May though. Mercifully, card costs have no implications on this goal.

5) Stress less. Find a decent girl who totally digs me. Retire early. Drink less beer. Win Lottery. Card costs have no implications on these goals because these goals are all in the realm of pure fantasy :)

Last edited:

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
You already have my favorite collection on this or any other board, can’t wait to see the crown jewel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, really appreciate that. Pretty excited about this, though it isn't finalized. Definitely will be excited to share if I can make it happen.

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
1.) Continue to add some slabbed PSA in-person autos of more Hall of Famers, or current players that are on a HOF trajectory.
2.) Have the willpower to save up enough money and acquire a Jackie Robinson autograph.
3.) Begin to add items that are of historical importance (Mike Torrez / Bucky Dent 8x10, Wilson / Buckner, etc.)

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
1) Add 3+ 2011 Marquee Museum Collection autos, giving me 90, or 75% of the set. The Koufaxes listed on ebay for the last year have apparently gone away (and NOT drunk-bought by me), but they are getting really few and really far between now.
2) Finish my 2017 Topps 1987 Refractor Rainbow collection, gold thru green. Only missing 2 Judges for S1, and I'm over 50% on S2. These are also getting tough to find.
3) Make progress towards completing 1941 Play Ball. Still need Joe D, Williams, Greenberg, Reese, and several other big names, but they aren't hard to find at all, just the right ones at the right price.
4) Add at least one to my 1971 Topps Greatest Moments PSA set. Down to 5 SPs, they're HTF and super pricey, even for a 5 or 6, but I'd rather hold out for 7s like the majority of my set.
5) My wife and I are also planning to go to the National this year for the first time. This will require a lot of saving and selling to really do it right. We also want to check off 2 or 3 ballparks off our list. CWS is home 7/30-8/1, and Cubs are home 8/1-8/4, so they're targets. Brewers are out of town the whole week. Detroit, Cleveland, StL, etc., all might be a little far.

Last edited:

Members online