Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2019 hobby (or non) goals!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crypticfreak1

May 16, 2016
Last year I set a goal of getting all the non 1/1’s of Brian Johnson, around 50 at the time. I have that number down to 23. So for next year I would like to get that number down to 15 or less! Also, overall I have 554 unique and I would love to get that number up to 600!

westusmc

Jan 16, 2016
Tulsa, OK
I only collect Barry Larkin so staying focused isn't much of a problem. 2,000 unique cards from Barry Larkin's playing days is my collecting goal for the year. 2004 and earlier. I'm currently sitting around 1,730. This is a bit of a stretch as the cards I need keep getting more expensive and it's really hard to find several from the same seller.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Gonna try and find a nice Patrick Stewart/Bill Shatner dual auto, preferably on-card. There are some out there. Not too expensive either and probably will go back up when Stewart's new show comes out...

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
well rough count have ONE MILLION cards now to downsize - 30,000 in bags of 25 went to schools haloween / Christmas . Focus on local team players and my older Pirates collection . Still buy to much but i'm in a team trading group

jszczech

Dec 27, 2010
Minnesota
1. Continue working 70% of total cards from 2017/2018 and 2019. Very close on 2017 but still at just over 50 for 2018. Way to may low numbered parallel cards this year.
2. Complete the sell off of my Morneau collection.
3. Add 2 1/1's to my Puckett collection.
4. Add 5 Exhibits to my Puckett set. I didn't even see one I needed this year so it may be impossible.
5. Continue to reduce overall debt. I made great strides in this area this year and hope to continue this in 2019.
6. Lose weight. Any area I struggle with tremendously. I really need to get a solid loss in 2019. My goal is to lose 50lbs.

Figured I'm overdue for an update.

1. Right now 2017 is at 68%, 2018 is at 52%, and 2019 is at 55%. I am slowly getting close to the goal but need to add some really low numbered stuff to make it.
2. Complete
3. Added one so far this year. Missed on a few others. Hopefully land a few by the time the year is done.
4. Haven't even seen one I need.
5. Basically down to just my mortgage payment. I have been paying more each month to the principle so this heading the right direction.
6. Been up and down so far. Right now I am down 11 lbs from the start of the year but I still think I can get there.

Last edited:

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
Figured I'm overdue for an update.

1. Right now 2017 is at 68%, 2018 is at 52%, and 2019 is at 55%. I am slowly getting close to the goal but need to add some really low numbered stuff to make it.
2. Complete
3. Added one so far this year. Missed on a few others. Hopefully land a few by the time the year is done.
4. Haven't even seen one I need.
5. Basically down to just my mortgage payment. I haven't paying more each month to the principle so this heading the right direction.
6. Been up and down so far. Right now I am down 11 lbs from the start of the year but I still think I can get there.

looks like you're headed in the right direction on all accounts. great progress

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
Here are my 6 month update:

goal #1: stick to my main PC's.
I accomplished many things in 2018 but also spent a ton on stuff I'm now trying to sell because the newness has worn off.

Hahaha yeah. I was on fire the first 4 months only picking up PC needs and letting everything else go. Then my pickups dried up and I've filled the void by starting a trout PC

goal #2: I have 111 cards remaining on my needs lists for my sweet spot sets. down from 260+ this time last year. I'd like to realistically get that down to 85-90
(and possibly start 03 classic)

I've started 03 classic AND my needs list was in the mid 80's by April. Still many needs simply aren't showing up, hence the Trout pc

goal #3: sell all the stuff I dont need. this is a constant. I keep buying blasters for no reason, topps living set suckered me In and old PC starts that flamed out sit in a box. some has disappeared but I'd love to get rid of the entire thing.

Still grabbed a few blasters now and then but I'd say my sales box is down to about 50% of what it was. slow process but it is going out the door.

goal #4: continue the transition on my HOF auto PC to 2004 legendary cuts. sold a huge chunk of misc years. now waiting for new listings

This one is the easiest. I've snagged a handful here or there. Again, nothing new seems to get listed. A bunch I need available but all overpriced

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
**December 2019 update**

With the new year less than a week away I thought some users would like to post what they hope to accomplish hobby wise or if they want to share, non hobby wise.
My goal lists have been getting smaller each year it seems but my love of the hobby has not. Anyway, post em up and have fun in seeing what's accomplished by the end of the year.

Starting the last few months and into the new year making a few personal life choices my hobby stature has changed a bit but is still ever present.

goal #1: stick to my main PC's.
I accomplished many things in 2018 but also spent a ton on stuff I'm now trying to sell because the newness has worn off.

This did not happen AT ALL! haha Started a Trout PC in June and started a refractor collection of sure HOF's and superstars
Examples
attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php

goal #2: I have 111 cards remaining on my needs lists for my sweet spot sets. down from 260+ this time last year. I'd like to realistically get that down to 85-90
(and possibly start 03 classic)

I started 03 classic. Down to 77 cards on my needs lists!

goal #3: sell all the stuff I dont need. this is a constant. I keep buying blasters for no reason, topps living set suckered me In and old PC starts that flamed out sit in a box. some has disappeared but I'd love to get rid of the entire thing.

I've sold quite a bit but have picked up just as much stuff in return so this ones a push

goal #4: continue the transition on my HOF auto PC to 2004 legendary cuts. sold a huge chunk of misc years. now waiting for new listings

Still ongoing but made progress. for whatever reason 04 legendary cuts people think need to be priced 4-10x what any other years cuts go for.

examples:
attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
1. More IP auto collecting at Salem & Pulaski games this season!
2. Continue to find older Yankee player autographs and add Yankee autographs to my collection.
3. Find a 1964 Yankee Team tattoo.
4. Find a 1965 Topps Transfers Elston Howard in good condition.
5. Find T209 Roanoke player cards.
6. Find a PM 10 Mantle blue portrait pin.
7. Start watching for a 1956 Yogi Berra Yellow Basepath pin at a reasonable price.

Did well on the first 4, but no luck finding any of the last 3. Guess that those and the first two will be part of my continuation for 2020.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
1) Add 3+ 2011 Marquee Museum Collection autos, giving me 90, or 75% of the set. The Koufaxes listed on ebay for the last year have apparently gone away (and NOT drunk-bought by me), but they are getting really few and really far between now.
2) Finish my 2017 Topps 1987 Refractor Rainbow collection, gold thru green. Only missing 2 Judges for S1, and I'm over 50% on S2. These are also getting tough to find.
3) Make progress towards completing 1941 Play Ball. Still need Joe D, Williams, Greenberg, Reese, and several other big names, but they aren't hard to find at all, just the right ones at the right price.
4) Add at least one to my 1971 Topps Greatest Moments PSA set. Down to 5 SPs, they're HTF and super pricey, even for a 5 or 6, but I'd rather hold out for 7s like the majority of my set.
5) My wife and I are also planning to go to the National this year for the first time. This will require a lot of saving and selling to really do it right. We also want to check off 2 or 3 ballparks off our list. CWS is home 7/30-8/1, and Cubs are home 8/1-8/4, so they're targets. Brewers are out of town the whole week. Detroit, Cleveland, StL, etc., all might be a little far.

I accomplished #1, up to 92/120, including a Koufax, who was the biggest name I was lacking. Waiting for a Gwynn or Chipper is going to be tough.

We did #5, spending 3 days at the National and going to Cubs and White Sox games. Looking forward to going back to Chicago in 2 years and Cleveland the year after.

Sooooo close on #2. I still need the Orange Judge to complete S1, and 6 cards for S2. Oddly, 4 of the cards I need are all the color Mattinglys. I just cannot get those (the Orange on ebay for $45 is a silly price). Surely someone will list a rainbow on ebay one day and I'll knock them all out in one shot.

I did nothing towards #3. Just running out of steam here. Maybe next year.

Really wanted to make progress on #4, and all the ones I needed were listed on ebay in a small window of time this summer, but it was right during National crunch time and I chose not to spend the extra $ on them. Very frustrating that I didn't find any I needed at Natty.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
Smaller set of goals this year, the little one eats money, honestly I think that's what's happening, I have no idea how something so small could be responsible for so much cheaper of my paycheck.

Tim Wakefield PC-i hope to equal my gains this year and add 5 cards from his playing days, anything new I'll go after as well.

Craig Biggio- Really pumped the breaks here, picked up maybe 100 total in 2018. I'd like to add 10 Topps Tek needs from his various years. I'm down to one from 99, 30b, would really like that one.

Red Sox PC - it will be an off year of the Sox HOF so nothing new there, would like to pick up a bob unglaub and doc gessler, they were both captains in the early 1900s. I'd like to add a Jimmy Collins but I doubt this is the year I drop the money for a nice one that I'd be happy with.

Soooo 18 cards that's what I'm shooting for...seems low, I'll likely get more.

1-was able to knock off 3 from my needs list from prior years, not a big number but one was the 99 Fleer starting 9, so it was a good year. Wake appeared in many Panini releases this year and I was able to add the overwhelming majority of them. .
2-added somewhere around 20 new biggios, a few nice teks from various years, including a 98 diffractor, couple 99 gold's and two Galactica from more recent years. Still need 99 Tek pattern 30b to complete the base run
3-Sox PC was slow as expected, added a few current players, couple prospect autos and a 1922 derrill Pratt caramel. I've started a new thought for the PC moving forward, possibly to be unveiled in the 2020 goals.

Members online