Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The Great 1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold Auctions Of 2019 From PWCC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cardcop05

Nov 15, 2018
NYC
Not what I expected to see on eBay tonight.

I feel like this is going to need a thread all to itself.

It’s mesmerizing just to scroll through them on the app and watch the gold go by.

I will enjoy watching, and good luck to everyone who goes after their guy!

(I guess there are 130+ mirror blues as well, but...)

And go...

In 2001 Playoff had a 3,000 count box half full with 1996-97 Select Certified Mirror Gold HOCKEY cards. They were all serial numbered to /30 each. They just sat on a shelf by Noel Linox's desk (my current assistant and Former CS Manager). I worked there from June-October. In Sept. for a week I had to go to NY for a court deposition (against a former medical field employer). When I returned the box DISAPPEARED. i GUARANTEE every card in that box was sold "OUT THE BACK DOOR" to Dave & Adam's Card World. This is what I busted Larry Blackwell for (former Playoff President and MUCH YOUNGER kiss-butt boyfriend of owner Ann Blake).

When I kept fighting with Blackwell about all the STUPID decisions he was making that would hurt collectors, he finally downgraded me to an "outside consultant", but I continued working there for a couple of weeks until Ann Blake returned from vacation (she was literally "on vacation" nearly the entire 5-months I worked there other than a random day here or there!). As soon as I got back home to FL, I sent her an email blaming Larry Blackwell for stealing 600-count boxes at least weekly that he was selling to Dave & Adam's for pennies on the dollar in exchange flor DACW buying many more cases of future products (which made him look REALLY GOOD to his girlfriend).
This was when Ann Blake cut all ties with me because she obviously didn't believe me, but I had PROOF in two places that I decided not to tell her about because I didn't know whether she knew about what Blackwell was doing or not.

Then their own Manager of Security did her own internal investigation into all of my claims (which I put on my website the instant Ann Blake but me off) and found proof that Blackwell was stealing from my former department. Then Magically Larry Blackwell got fired just weeks after Renee Greenlee (Manager Of Security) produced her reults to Ann Blake in 2002. Then Ann fired Renee days later!!!

There was employee theft going on at Pinnacle like crazy as well. When I first started Carlos Torrez (former Playoff CS Manager & current 2001 Product Manager) asked me if I had any info about the stolen 1998 Donruss Signature Significant Signatures of Nolan Ryan and Ozzie Smith (there were others I discovered too). So when I found they guy who had EVERY SINGLE missing Significant Signature in 16-minutes with his full name and address on eBay, Carlos hugged me and couldn't stop thanking me. He said "I spent three years trying to find who stole those cards with no luck!". It turned out that Pinnacle's truck driver (who drove all the leftover products from Pinnacle to Playoff when Playoff bought out Pinnacle in 1998) was stealing tons of cards like crazy for years! Yet Playoff never had him arrested even though a long time CS employee from my department (Stephanie DePaul) announced that she knew for a fact it was the Pinnacle truck driver who stole all of those 1998 Significant Signatures in 1998!

THEN WHY THE HELL DIDN'T SHE TELL ANYONE THEN? And people wonder why I wanted to FIRE EVERYONE working in Playoff's Customer Service the instant I took the job??? So it's very likely that anyone selling huge numbers of these VERY RARE Mirror Gold cards bought them from Pinnacle's truck driver. When Playoff bought out Pinnacle, they fired this truck driver. That's when he started releasing all the stuff he stole tro hobby dealers across the country.

There was another seller on eBay about a year ago who was selling over (80) different non-graded 1997 Mirror Gold Football cards all ending on the same day too. I clearly remember because I wanted the Trent Dilfer and was outbid the last second for $18.17.

James

Letch77

Jan 28, 2018
Midwest
[MENTION=23455]cardcop05[/MENTION], I don't know who you are or the background behind why so many people across different forums dislike you, but your anecdotes (whether true or not) are pretty entertaining. I enjoy reading about the shenanigans of card company employees and their sketchy ways. :)

deaconblues63

Oct 25, 2012
In 2001 Playoff had a 3,000 count box half full with 1996-97 Select Certified Mirror Gold HOCKEY cards. They were all serial numbered to /30 each. They just sat on a shelf by Noel Linox's desk (my current assistant and Former CS Manager). I worked there from June-October. In Sept. for a week I had to go to NY for a court deposition (against a former medical field employer). When I returned the box DISAPPEARED. i GUARANTEE every card in that box was sold "OUT THE BACK DOOR" to Dave & Adam's Card World. This is what I busted Larry Blackwell for (former Playoff President and MUCH YOUNGER kiss-butt boyfriend of owner Ann Blake).

When I kept fighting with Blackwell about all the STUPID decisions he was making that would hurt collectors, he finally downgraded me to an "outside consultant", but I continued working there for a couple of weeks until Ann Blake returned from vacation (she was literally "on vacation" nearly the entire 5-months I worked there other than a random day here or there!). As soon as I got back home to FL, I sent her an email blaming Larry Blackwell for stealing 600-count boxes at least weekly that he was selling to Dave & Adam's for pennies on the dollar in exchange flor DACW buying many more cases of future products (which made him look REALLY GOOD to his girlfriend).
This was when Ann Blake cut all ties with me because she obviously didn't believe me, but I had PROOF in two places that I decided not to tell her about because I didn't know whether she knew about what Blackwell was doing or not.

Then their own Manager of Security did her own internal investigation into all of my claims (which I put on my website the instant Ann Blake but me off) and found proof that Blackwell was stealing from my former department. Then Magically Larry Blackwell got fired just weeks after Renee Greenlee (Manager Of Security) produced her reults to Ann Blake in 2002. Then Ann fired Renee days later!!!

There was employee theft going on at Pinnacle like crazy as well. When I first started Carlos Torrez (former Playoff CS Manager & current 2001 Product Manager) asked me if I had any info about the stolen 1998 Donruss Signature Significant Signatures of Nolan Ryan and Ozzie Smith (there were others I discovered too). So when I found they guy who had EVERY SINGLE missing Significant Signature in 16-minutes with his full name and address on eBay, Carlos hugged me and couldn't stop thanking me. He said "I spent three years trying to find who stole those cards with no luck!". It turned out that Pinnacle's truck driver (who drove all the leftover products from Pinnacle to Playoff when Playoff bought out Pinnacle in 1998) was stealing tons of cards like crazy for years! Yet Playoff never had him arrested even though a long time CS employee from my department (Stephanie DePaul) announced that she knew for a fact it was the Pinnacle truck driver who stole all of those 1998 Significant Signatures in 1998!

THEN WHY THE HELL DIDN'T SHE TELL ANYONE THEN? And people wonder why I wanted to FIRE EVERYONE working in Playoff's Customer Service the instant I took the job??? So it's very likely that anyone selling huge numbers of these VERY RARE Mirror Gold cards bought them from Pinnacle's truck driver. When Playoff bought out Pinnacle, they fired this truck driver. That's when he started releasing all the stuff he stole tro hobby dealers across the country.

There was another seller on eBay about a year ago who was selling over (80) different non-graded 1997 Mirror Gold Football cards all ending on the same day too. I clearly remember because I wanted the Trent Dilfer and was outbid the last second for $18.17.

James

As you tell us about all the other people that stole from Pinnacle could you tell us about your own arrest for theft from Pinnacle? What were the charges and what was the final disposition of your arrest for felony theft that was filed in a Tarrant County District Court. Just tell everyone what you were charged with and what you pled to, not the long drawn out story where you were a hero, framed and wrongly arrested while acquiring evidence and yet again saving the hobby from all the villains lurking in the shadows at Pinnacle, Beckett, Topps, Upper Deck, PSA, etc, etc.

To make it easy, I am looking for a simple sentence that says I was arrested for this, this was my plea and I received this as my punishment.

I look forward to your obfuscations, delusions and fictional depictions of your heroic actions. Don't forget to bring up Gary Carter and card donations.

Last edited:

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
I hope that some of you guys won't have to deal with shill bidders.. I'm not going after this one..

I just looked to see what Edgar is going for and I see the bidder and check his bids with PWCC..

Bid activity (%) with this seller: 94%

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
I hope that some of you guys won't have to deal with shill bidders.. I'm not going after this one..

I just looked to see what Edgar is going for and I see the bidder and check his bids with PWCC..

I'm watching the Mark Grace card, but not going after it. There's an "under bidder" driving price up but not going as far as winning it. Here's his stats:

30-Day Summary
Total bids: 431
Items bid on: 259
Bid activity (%) with this seller: 98%

Seems legit :|

PWCC auctions are sketchy AF. You just have to ask yourself, "How much am I willing to pay?" and then stick to it. You're not getting any bargains, but you may get your card.

Last edited:

Gjb70

Aug 1, 2015

Is it 6*****h? Seems to be a high bidder on many of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
A guy with a 9 feedback is leading the PSA 9 Mirror Blue. I am thinking that’s the owner trying to get as much as he can get. Just seem suspicious and he had no bids on the PSA 10 that ended.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

bigunitcards

Sep 8, 2013
OKC, OK
won my guy, am quite happy to have now completed the Select Gold / Pinnacle Certified Gold / Crusade Red trifecta.

And after watching some of the other prices, holy hell did I get off cheap

Last edited:

gradedeflator

Mar 31, 2011
Am fully amazed at these prices..also had thought 90s prices were stagnating a bit so positively surprised!

The Piazza PSA 8 just sold for slightly under $3k. I’ve owned two copies, a PSA 9 and a raw copy from a board member. Paid about 1/3 of today’s sale. Felt lucky to find both.

Also fortunate to own a Pedro Martinez gold that still had the peel and was pristine, got graded a BGS 9.5. today’s PSA 9 sold for $3,450 or more than 4x what I paid.

Damn

Letch77

Jan 28, 2018
Midwest
I was surprised to see the Thomas Mirror Blue only bring $233. For that price, I should have added another to my collection!

bigunitcards

Sep 8, 2013
OKC, OK
Mirror Blue - 134 cards - $26,680 total - $198 average

- Jeter $15,000
- Puckett $1,380
- Ozzie Smith $770
- Will Clark $560
- Chan Ho Park $450

Mirror Gold - 123 cards - $50,650 total - $411 average

- Puckett $6,380
- Thomas $3,875
- Pedro $3,450
- Piazza $2,950
- Canseco $2,650
- Belle $2,580
- Ozzie Smith $2,250
- Maddux $2,035
- Will Clark $1,340
- Lenny Dykstra? $1,070

timtom

Apr 24, 2013
Nashville, TN
I was on call last night and had set up a gixen bid for the Bagwell. I have to mention that I have never seen a bagwell listed before. Thinking I was all set to go I didn't check until later in the night when work slowed down. I then find out that my authentication token for gixen happened to expire that night. It was good for 18 months and just happened to expire that night. My bid was significantly higher than what the auction ended for. Super disappointed because I don't know when I will find one again. What luck!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Freedom Card Board mobile app