Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Buying a T206 Wagner for a buck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Reading old newspaper articles is funny because they give everyone's address in the article.

One of those illustrious collectors is Roy E. Fisher, now a resident of 3823 West Broadway...

A.H. Tarvin of 623 Third Street is another avid collector of rare cards..

Imagine if they did that today. Everyone's collections would be stolen.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I remember Sportslook or some other magazine back in the day printed a clipping I think from the 40s with a small story that a Wagner card had been sold for $25. Time travel is my all-time fantasy, and I like to think I'd go to the major historical events but I also think about just living life in America starting around 1910 for the chance to collect cards and comics and stuff from the beginning.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
I remember Sportslook or some other magazine back in the day printed a clipping I think from the 40s with a small story that a Wagner card had been sold for $25. Time travel is my all-time fantasy, and I like to think I'd go to the major historical events but I also think about just living life in America starting around 1910 for the chance to collect cards and comics and stuff from the beginning.

Time travel would be great but I'd probably squander it on things like putting anachronistic items at major archaeologic sites or rearranging fossils so that they confused scientists even more than they do now.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I remember Sportslook or some other magazine back in the day printed a clipping I think from the 40s with a small story that a Wagner card had been sold for $25.

Curiosity almost killed me, so I did a quick check.

Assuming the date of the sale was July 1945 (mid 40's since no specific details were given for when in the decade), $25 back then is about $350 today according to the US Govt CPI inflation calculator so not crazy coin like a legit copy is today but decent coin to have to pay for it.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
That they printed it in the paper is the amazing thing. Different times, some cities had dozens of papers going to press multiple times a day, lots of inches to fill. But "Area Man Pays Stupid Money For Baseball Card" is a timeless headline. I know when I told my dad I paid over $100 for a comic book (FF #48, good pickup), he was half-considering having me committed. And that was around the year 2000.

Members online