User Tag List

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Rolling Fact of the Day thread

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your Fact Of the day for today, September 4th...

The longest word whose letters are in alphabetical order is the eight-letter Aegilops, a grass genus. However, this is arguably both Latin and a proper noun. There are several six-letter English words with their letters in alphabetical order, including abhors, almost, begins, biopsy, chimps and chintz.There are few 7-letter words, such as billowy.

Now I'm just confused. But that's normal for me.
    I'm Dave ! Dave's not here man.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love these word ones. Here's a related one:

Which words have all the vowels in order? Lots of them apparently...

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Categ...abetical_order

My personal favorite is facetiously, because it includes y, and because I thought of it without looking. Couldn't think of any of the others though

Quote Originally Posted by finestkind View Post
    Your Fact Of the day for today, September 4th...

The longest word whose letters are in alphabetical order is the eight-letter Aegilops, a grass genus. However, this is arguably both Latin and a proper noun. There are several six-letter English words with their letters in alphabetical order, including abhors, almost, begins, biopsy, chimps and chintz.There are few 7-letter words, such as billowy.

Now I'm just confused. But that's normal for me.
    Collecting Roberto Alomar. Over 4000 unique cards, but always looking for those I'm missing!

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good ones. We had a line in Denver way back when with a horse-drawn trolley that went up and down a hill. Called the "Cherrilyn" route. At the top of the hill, the horse would step on the back of the trolley and ride down the hill. The old streetcar is still on display at the Englewood city government buildings, formerly Cinderella City Mall

Quote Originally Posted by MrMet View Post
    Your Fact Of the day for August 20th...

Hibbing, Minnesota is home to the nations first bus line. Established in 1914 the route consisted of one bus that drove back and forth between Hibbing and Alice. That bus line eventually grew into what we know today as Greyhound Lines, inc.

Your Fact Of the day for August 21st...

The first presidential inauguration took place in New York City, not Washington DC, on the balcony of Federal Hall on April 30th, 1789.

Your Fact Of the day for August 22...(besides being my wife and my 10th anniversary)...

Eugene, Oregon was the first US city to to have one-way streets, which made it safer for bicyclists to share the roads with cars.

Your Fact Of the day for today, August 23rd...

The first KFC franchise store was not in Kentucky, but Salt Lake City, Utah.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    Collecting Roberto Alomar. Over 4000 unique cards, but always looking for those I'm missing!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have cities and towns in Massachusetts that have names that will twist your mind. Leicester - lester, Leominster - leminster and many others.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leominster! I stayed there one time for a job. My co-worker in the other room got bedbugs. Bit him good in a ring all around his belly. Hahaha. Leominster was one of those places that struck me as pretty awesome back in its day, but prosperity had passed it by. Would have liked to visit it in say the 1940's...or 1890's...

mrmet17
    Mentioned
    632 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by banjar View Post
    I love these word ones. Here's a related one:

Which words have all the vowels in order? Lots of them apparently...

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Categ...abetical_order

My personal favorite is facetiously, because it includes y, and because I thought of it without looking. Couldn't think of any of the others though
    I’m also a big fan of the word ones...

And without cheating, but based off your word, words that end in the “ious” must make up a good part of that list...so, off the top of the head...capreciously ...dang it, I spelled it wrong...capriciously...that doesn’t work...crap, I give up, I’m gonna have to cheat...

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by banjar View Post
    Leominster! I stayed there one time for a job. My co-worker in the other room got bedbugs. Bit him good in a ring all around his belly. Hahaha. Leominster was one of those places that struck me as pretty awesome back in its day, but prosperity had passed it by. Would have liked to visit it in say the 1940's...or 1890's...
    Leominster was all shoe and machine manufacturing until the late 40's. The got their power from the rivers and streams near by.

mrmet17
    Mentioned
    632 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your Fact Of the day for September 5th...

While living in Tennessee, a Cherokee Silversmith named Sequoyah developed the first written language for his Native American people. In doing so, he also become the only known man in history to singlehandedly create a system of writing.

mrmet17
    Mentioned
    632 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today’s fact of the day for September 6th...

This one goes out to [MENTION=2026]tramers[/MENTION], did you know this?

Wisconsin is the “Toilet paper Capital Of the World” because the first ever splinter free toilet paper was invented by Northern Paper, which eventually became Quilted Northern, in Green Bay, Wisconsin in the 1930s.

tramersfoulball
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMet View Post
    Today’s fact of the day for September 6th...

This one goes out to [MENTION=2026]tramers[/MENTION], did you know this?

Wisconsin is the “Toilet paper Capital Of the World” because the first ever splinter free toilet paper was invented by Northern Paper, which eventually became Quilted Northern, in Green Bay, Wisconsin in the 1930s.

No i didn't . Company i worked for received almost a million pounds of paper a day to be cut to size at plant i was at . That was about 1% of daily used in USA . Also have plants in Memphis / Las Vegas / Mississipi / Rockingham NC . Some plants recycle paper by removing ink - like a soup - never saw that

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crane Currency in the small town of Dalton in western Massachusetts makes the paper that all the US currency is printed on. It looks like a very old paper mill from the outside. Just a little piece of my useless information for today.

mrmet17
    Mentioned
    632 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Catch up time...again...

Your Fact Of the day for September 7th...

The thing used to measure your feet at the shoe store is called the Brannock Device and it was invented by Charles Brannock and patented in 1926.

Your Fact Of the Day for September 8th...

Quebec City is the only walled city in North America.

Your Fact Of the day for September 9th...

In 1948, The Rams were the first NFL team to wear a logo, the rams horns, on their helmets.

Your Fact Of the day for September 10th...

New Orleans was awarded an NFL franchise on November 1st, 1966, All-Saints Day, hence the team was named the Saints.

Your Fact Of the day for September 11th...

New York’s nickname, the Big Apple, originated in the 1920’s in reference to the prizes, or “big apples” rewarded at the many horse races in and around NYC. It was officially adopted as the city’s nickname in 1971 as the result of an ad campaign intended to attract tourists.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah. So that's what they made there. I was only there one night so didn't have time to learn much, but I do remember thinking it was clearly a pretty significant industrial center back in its day.

Quote Originally Posted by finestkind View Post
    Leominster was all shoe and machine manufacturing until the late 40's. The got their power from the rivers and streams near by.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of the old factories are still standing around central Massachusetts.They turned them into condo's.

mrmet17
    Mentioned
    632 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your Fact Of the day for today, September 12th...

Frank Sinatra was offered the role of John McClane in Die Hard that eventually went to Bruce Willis, but it’s not as weird as it sounds, it was due to contractual obligations. Sinatra starred in 1968’s The Detective, based on 1966’s novel of the same name by Roderick Thorp. Die Hard was based on the sequel to The Detective, 1979’s Nothing Lasts Forever and when Sinatra signed on for the first film it was in his contract that the studio had to offer him the main part in the sequel. Of course, since he was in his 70’s by then, he refused the role.