Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920

Thread: Rolling Fact of the Day thread

mrmet17
    Mentioned
    632 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your Fact of the day for October 6th...

In 1943 the FDA banned sliced bread, which was first introduced in 1928, because presliced bread used up too much plastic packaging which could be better used for the war effort. Despite that, people were furious and the ban only lasted 3 months.

Your Fact Of the day for October 7th...

The arches at the base of the Eiffel Tower were added to make it look less rickety and encourage people to go in it, so while they look pretty, they are not functional but actually just decorative.

Your Fact Of the day for October 8th...

When Snow White won an Oscar in 1938, Walt Disney was presented with one normal sized Oscar and seven little ones.

Your Fact Of the day for October 9th...

Sour Patch Kids were originally called Mars Men, but the name changed in 1985 to capitalize on the popularity of Cabbage Patch Kids.

Your Fact Of the day for today, October 10th...

Netflix was originally called Kibble.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

mrmet17
    Mentioned
    632 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok...again....catch up time...

Starting off with some shoutouts for our friends in Chicago...

Your fact of the day for October 11th...

The first blood bank was opened in Chicago in 1937 by Dr. Bernard Fantus at Cook County Hospital.

Your fact of the day for October 12th...

Twinkies were created in Chicago by James Dewar, a manager for the Continental Baking Company, and they originally had a banana cream filling.

Your fact of the day for October 13th...

On September 26th (my birthday), 1960 (twenty years before my birthday) the first televised presidential debate was broadcast from Chicago’s CBS station and it was between John F. Kennedy and Richard M. Nixon.

Your fact of the day for October 14th...

The name Chicago means “onion field” because wild onion used to grow around the Chicago river area, leading to the name “Chigagou” which means onion field in Algonquin. The moniker was given in 1830 and it stuck.

Your fact of the day for October 15th...

In the late 1850s, in an effort to fix a major drainage problem that led to various epidemics during the 19th century, engineers had to raise the whole city of Chicago by a few feet to allow for a new sewer system.

Your fact of the day for October 16th...

The original Ferris wheel, the “Chicago Wheel” was created during the World’s Columbian Exposition in 1893 in Chicago. It featured 36 gondolas and stood at 264 feet tall.

mrmet17
    Mentioned
    632 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your fact of the day for October 17th...

The word girl was once gender neutral, referring only to a child or young person rather than a specific gender.

Your fact of the day for October 18th...

The distinct “th” sound, as in “this” and “thing”, is called a Dental Fricative.

Your fact of the day for October 19th...

A moment was a medieval measure of time that consisted of 90 seconds.

Your fact of the day for October 20th...

When NHL player Jesperi Kotkaniemi stepped onto the ice for the first time, he became the first North American major sports player born in the 2000’s to play professionally. The Blue Jays Elvis Luciano was the first in MLB.

mrmet17
    Mentioned
    632 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your fact of the day for October 21st...

Canada is the only host nation in the history of the games not to win a gold medal in their own Summer Olympic Games (Montreal 1976).

Your fact of the day for October 22nd...

The song Macarena is about a girl who cheats on her boyfriend while he joins the military. Not so upbeat and fun to dance to anymore is it?

Your fact of the day for October 23rd...

El Paso, Texas is closer to San Diego, California than it is to Houston, Texas.

Your fact of the day for October 24th...

The population of Washington D.C. goes up 79% every workday. The next city on the list, Boston, Massachusetts, only increase by 40%.

Your fact of the day for October 25th...

Main Street USA at Disney World only has one real American flag, and the rest intentionally have less than 50 stars due to not wanting to take them down in inclement weather or light them up at night.

Your fact of the day for October 26th...

In 1981, FBI agent Robert Hanssen was tasked by his superiors to find a mole within the agency after the FBI’s moles in the KGB were caught. In reality, he was the mole, working with the KGB since 1979.

Your fact of the day for October 27th...

“Semantic satiation” is a psychological phenomenon in which repetition causes a word or phrase to temporarily lose meaning for the listener, who then perceives the speech as repeated meaningless sounds.

mrmet17
    Mentioned
    632 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your fact of the day for October 28th...

The Ichthys symbol, commonly known as the “Jesus Fish” is actually the Vesica piscis, which is an almond shaped oval defined by two arcs and symbolizes the vagina, used by Greeks, Romans and other Pagans.

Your fact of the day for October 29th...

Solitaire and Minesweeper were added to Windows to train mouse discipline without the users realizing they were learning. Solitaire was used to teach drag and drop techniques and Minesweeper taught right/left mouse clicks and mouse precision and control.

Your fact of the day for today, October 30th...

There is more time separating the Stegosaurus and the Tyrannosaurus Rex, about 80-90 million years, than the Tyrannosaurus Rex and us (and not the first appearance of man, the us as in you and I reading this right now), about 65.5 million years.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMet View Post

Solitaire and Minesweeper were added to Windows to train mouse discipline without the users realizing they were learning. Solitaire was used to teach drag and drop techniques and Minesweeper taught right/left mouse clicks and mouse precision and control.
    Whoa! They definitely got me with Minesweeper!
    Wanting to buy '96 Select Certified Mirror Gold baseball...commons & stars

mrmet17
    Mentioned
    632 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh boy, more catch up time...

Your fact of the day for October 31st...

Jack O’Lanterns were originally carved from turnips.

Moving into November, let’s celebrate the 50th anniversary of Sesame Street...

Your fact of the day for November 1st...

Oscar the Grouch was originally orange.

Your fact of the day for November 2nd...

Bert has a twin brother named Bart.

Your fact of the day for November 3rd...

Ernie’s “Rubber Duckie” song was so popular it reached number 16 on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart.

Your fact of the day for November 4th...

James Earl Jones was the first celebrity to appear on Sesame Street. He appeared on screen in 1969 to read the alphabet.

Your fact of the day for November 5th...

Hey Arnold! actually debuted on Sesame Street in 1990 as a clay stop motion short. It then debuted on Nickelodeon on October 7th, 1996.

Your fact of the day for November 6th...

The Count has had 3 different “lady friends”: Countess Dahling von Dahling, Lady Two, and Countess Von Backwards.

Your fact of the day for November 7th...

Cookie Monster is the only monster with 5 fingers on each hand, the rest have 4.

Your fact of the day for November 8th...

Cookie Monster and Ernie are left handed.

Now....let’s move to pizza....

Your fact of the day for November 9th...

The first documented pizzeria in the world opened in Port’Alba, Naples, Italy during the late 1800s and was called Antica Pizzeria.

Your fact of the day for November 10th...

The first pizzeria in America was Lombardi’s in New York City. It was originally a grocery store that started selling pizzas in 1905.

Your fact of the day for November 11th, and the last pizza fact for now...

Papa John’s was the first pizza chain to offer online ordering.

Your fact of the day for November 12th...

Yawning and stretching at the same time, like when you wake up in the morning, is called pandiculating.

Your fact of the day for November 13th...

The easternmost part of the US is not Maine, but technically, the Semisopochnoi Island in Alaska.

And your fact of the day for today, November 14th...

The first US settlement was St. Augustine, Florida, which was founded and established by the Spanish in 1565.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Missed that stuff. Thanks
    I'm Dave ! Dave's not here man.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I enjoyed binge-reading all those catchups. Particularly the easternmost part of the US one. And the minesweeper one. Loved that thing. Not to brag, but I'm gonna brag and say I did the easy level in 8 seconds once
    Collecting Roberto Alomar. Over 4000 unique cards, but always looking for those I'm missing!

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by banjar View Post
    I enjoyed binge-reading all those catchups. Particularly the easternmost part of the US one. And the minesweeper one. Loved that thing. Not to brag, but I'm gonna brag and say I did the easy level in 8 seconds once
    ...SIX minute abs! lol
    Wanting to buy '96 Select Certified Mirror Gold baseball...commons & stars

mrmet17
    Mentioned
    632 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here we go...

Your fact of the day for November 15th...

Hans Steininger was the mayor of Braunau, now in Austria, who died when he tripped over his own beard, which was 4.5 feet long at the time, and was usually kept rolled up in a leather pouch. Unfortunately he didnt do that one day in 1567. A fire broke out in his town and he reportedly tripped on his beard and either broke his neck and died, or perished in the fire. (His beard is actually preserved and kept in a museum in the area)

If you have some time to kill, check out Wikipedia and search list of unusual deaths - be forewarned tho!

Your fact of the day for November 16th...

Female kangaroos have three vaginas. The side ones carry the sperm to the two uteruses (and male marsupials usually have two pronged penises) while the middle vagina sends the Joey down to the outside world. This means they can be “perpetually pregnant” because once a Joey has left a uterus for the pouch, another embryo can start developing internally.

Your fact of the day for November 17th...

The Canadian insult “hoser” originated in the pre-Zamboni days of ice hockey, where the losing team would have to hose down the ice to resurface it.

Your fact of the day for November 18th...

The pair of glasses with a big nose, thick eyebrows and a mustache attached is called a “beaglepuss”. Although most people know them as Groucho Marx glasses.

Your fact of the day for November 19th...

The first cheesehead, synonymous with the Green Bay Packers, was created by Ralph Bruno, a Milwaukee native, and was first worn to a Brewers vs White Sox game at County Stadium in Milwaukee. He also crafted it in 1987, and with a turkey slicer.

mrmet17
    Mentioned
    632 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now, let’s get you guys ready for Thanksgiving dinner, here’s some knowledge to drop...

Your fact of the day for November 20th...

The pilgrims first landed in Provincetown, Massachusetts, at the tip of Cape Cod. They sent a scouting party ashore, and then, a few weeks later, sailed to Plymouth.

Your fact of the day for November 21st...

In 1953, a worker at Swanson ordered too many frozen turkeys (about 260 tons too many), so a company salesman named Jerry Thomas had the idea to create a packaged dinner on aluminum trays. After an assembly line of women scooped turkey, cornbread dressing, peas, and sweet potatoes onto trays, the TV dinner was born.

Your fact of the day for November 22nd...

Writer Sarah Josepha Hale, after petitioning the government for 17 years, finally convinced Abraham Lincoln to declare Thanksgiving a national holiday in 1863. Her other claim to fame was writing Mary had a Little Lamb.

Your fact of the day for November 23rd...

The first ever Macy’s Day parade balloon float was Felix the Cat.

Your fact of the day for today, November 24th...

The first ever Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade was held in 1924.

Thanksgiving facts to be continued...

mrmet17
    Mentioned
    632 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let’s catch you up to amaze everyone before thanksgiving dinner...

Your fact of the day for November 25th...

From 1924 to 1926, live animals, including elephants, camels, goats and yes, tigers, were included in the parade until it was decided that they scared the kids too much.

Your fact of the day for November 26th...

For the first few years, there was no plan for deflating the balloons. They just let them fly away and explode in the atmosphere. In 1928, they eventually made a game of it. Handlers released 5 balloons, an elephant, two birds, a ghost and a 60foot tiger, into the sky and challenged bystanders to collect them for a $100 reward...it didn’t end well.

Your fact of the day for November 27th...

Macy’s is the worlds number 2 consumer of helium, after the US Government. In 1958 amidst a national helium shortage, they filled the balloons with regular air and hung them from construction cranes.

And your fact of the day for today, November 28th, Thanksgiving!

Since 1968, the parades balloons and floats have been designed in New Jersey at the Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade Studio, which inhabits an old Tootsie Roll factory. When complete, each one has to be folded down into 12foot by 8foot boxes to be transported through the Lincoln Tunnel. All floats are built in detachable sections for this reason.

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920