User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey mouschi— is there any hope for this card?

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey mouschi— is there any hope for this card?

@mouschi - figured you’d be the guy who can help.

I’m about to pull the trigger on this, but was wondering if there’s any way possible to (surgically?) switch the patches so it looks like it’s supposed to look? It’s for my PC so I’m okay with it not being 100% flawless. I just don’t want to stare at this backwards mistake.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-Triple...cAAOSw0vJcJdYV

Featured Contributor
    Bridging the Gap
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goobmcnasty View Post
    @mouschi - figured you’d be the guy who can help.

I’m about to pull the trigger on this, but was wondering if there’s any way possible to (surgically?) switch the patches so it looks like it’s supposed to look? It’s for my PC so I’m okay with it not being 100% flawless. I just don’t want to stare at this backwards mistake.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-Triple...cAAOSw0vJcJdYV
    I don't know why they did that to begin with, but either way ... super cool card! I would not feel comfortable myself or for you to attempt. I would worry about Wright's arm getting wrinkled. Plus, we don't know what is behind his arm - they may have placed the patch on that side to cover up a problem underneath. Finally, I probably would want to put something permanent on the back that says it was modified. I know it would be a PC item, but if you sell your collection in a couple years and forget about it, someone may be mighty angry that the card was messed with. I personally think I'd rather if someone switched them, but there are many out there who think just the opposite. Good luck on getting the card though, that looks awesome!
    Tanner Jones, Author of Confessions of a Baseball Card Addict - Now Available on Amazon!
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23 - Questions about this? PM ME!

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @mouschi

I completely get where you're coming from. My careful, thought out response:

Please?

It's not something I'd ever get rid of. It's going in a big frame with a full game-used jersey and some other artifacts from his All-Star season. If you can't do it, I understand, but do you have a tutorial of some sort showing how its done?

Featured Contributor
    Bridging the Gap
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @mouschi

I completely get where you're coming from. My careful, thought out response:

Please?

It's not something I'd ever get rid of. It's going in a big frame with a full game-used jersey and some other artifacts from his All-Star season. If you can't do it, I understand, but do you have a tutorial of some sort showing how its done?
    Hahah! I haven't really attempted to do just a patch swap before, without actually completely redoing the back. Here is an example ...

I would definitely not suggest this with your booklet, though. If you just absolutely had to try yourself, there are a few things to try:

1) Split it down the middle with an x-acto knife, swap patches and glue it all back up.
    2) Use a heat gun and try to pull the patches out through the holes.

I'd say do #1 if anything ... split the middle of the card pieces. Again though, it is possible they are hiding a problem behind his body which is why perhaps they swapped them.

In whatever you choose ... best of luck to you!
    Tanner Jones, Author of Confessions of a Baseball Card Addict - Now Available on Amazon!
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23 - Questions about this? PM ME!

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mouschi View Post
    In whatever you choose ... best of luck to you!
    ...and be sure to post about the process and how it turned out!
    Wanting to buy '96 Select Certified Mirror Gold baseball...commons & stars

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mouschi View Post

it is possible they are hiding a problem behind his body which is why perhaps they swapped them.
    Thanks for the info. It appears all of the 2017 Triple Thread All-Star patches are flip-flopped -- like the card maker completely screwed up the plans for all of them. I have yet to see any that are displayed properly (other than the Trout on their sell sheet). I'm gonna give it a go.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-Topps-Triple-Threads-Baseball-Triple-Threads-All-Star-Jumbo-Book.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	231.3 KB 
ID:	86241

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whoops. DP
    Last edited by goobmcnasty; 01-16-2019 at 08:16 PM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...and even then, it appears they screwed it up (between the sell sheet and production)

Name:	trouty.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	325.8 KB 
ID:	86243

piledriver1
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every time I see these, I'm infuriated. This is just about my favorite type of card, and to see them all ruined like that is just galling. I keep wondering why they didn't do a cutout for the shape of the patch, which in addition to looking really sharp would have idiot-proofed the assembly process.
    Looking for 2011 Topps Marquee Museum autographs, rare Frank Thomases, and any Grady Sizemores I don't have

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Topps is gonna Topps! Wow.
    I PC Jeff Frye, Ozzie Smith, Jeff Bagwell, and Matt Holiday. Working on 2006-2018 Allen & Ginter sets
    https://jefffryecollection.wordpress.com - My collection website with galleries and want lists

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...and even then, it appears they screwed it up (between the sell sheet and production)

Name:	trouty.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	325.8 KB 
ID:	86243

Name:	funny-shoe-chair-fail-stupid-idiot.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	169.5 KB 
ID:	86269

Topps employee in action....

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, that wasn't too hard.

I have good and bad feelings about it, I guess. It's easy to fix Topps' mistake without noticeably damaging the card... but it would also be fairly easy to replace a jersey with a fake prime(r) patch. I guess that's why there are so many sketchy patches for sale now.

Anyway, without further ado, here's the before and after. I took photos along the way too. All in all, took about 20 minutes.

Name:	WrightBeforeAfter2.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	128.3 KB 
ID:	86301

Anyway, I'm glad I did it. It was extremely off-putting looking at the screwed up patch. It's not for resale, and even knowing that I "altered" it, I feel much more "at ease" every time I look at it. Thanks @mouschi for the assist.
    Last edited by goobmcnasty; 01-20-2019 at 01:41 AM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, this play-by-play isn't going to be as entertaining as Mouschi's, but hopefully it'll help some of you who have been debating about operating on your 17 Triple Threads All Star Patches.

All it took was an exacto knife, some glue and a blow-dryer.

Name:	Wright000.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	86390

First I took the blade and "split" the card right down the middle. (I started from the inside where the jersey swatch is)

Name:	Wright002.jpeg 
Views:	15 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	86389

Then I used the blade to cut all around the card.

Name:	Wright 003.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	86391

I repeated it on both panels of the card, until the "fronts" were able to be removed.

Name:	Wright005.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	86392

The jersey pieces were glued on pretty good. I didn't have a heat gun, so I used wifey's hair dryer.

Name:	Wright006.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	86393

It made it easy to peel the jersey off. The opposite side was super sticky (I guess, that's the point, right?)

Name:	Wright007.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	86394

I repeated this process for both panels, placing the jersey swatches face down (glue side up)

Name:	Wright008.jpg 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	86395

The glue was still warm and sticky, so I didn't need to re-glue the jersey piece in... just used what was already there.

Name:	Wright009.jpg 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	86396

And finally, I put the front "covers" back on. These were the only pieces I needed to glue. I used tacky wood glue. It seems to hold pretty well.

Name:	Wright010.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	86397

There is slight evidence of me "splitting" the card if you stare at it from the side (on the inside of the panel). But all in all, it doesn't look like anything was done to it, unless you're looking for it.
    Last edited by goobmcnasty; 01-22-2019 at 03:10 PM.

Featured Contributor
    Bridging the Gap
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, that wasn't too hard.

I have good and bad feelings about it, I guess. It's easy to fix Topps' mistake without noticeably damaging the card... but it would also be fairly easy to replace a jersey with a fake prime(r) patch. I guess that's why there are so many sketchy patches for sale now.

Anyway, without further ado, here's the before and after. I took photos along the way too. All in all, took about 20 minutes.

Name:	WrightBeforeAfter2.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	128.3 KB 
ID:	86301

Anyway, I'm glad I did it. It's not for resale, and even knowing that I "altered" it, I feel much more "at ease" every time I look at it. Thanks @mouschi for the assist.
    Oh my gosh, it came out great!!! You have more guts than I do. I totally would have been worried about what was hiding behind his arm. What method did you use, and what challenges did you face?

EDIT: I see you are posting what you did above. I'm gonna read it now. Great work again.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    Cal Ripken Supercollector

***Tradelist***

My Cal Ripken Collection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast