Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steroid Players and the HOF

Bwoodcollector
     @anthonyscorona
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think thereís a few differences between Mo and Edgar. Probably #1 being post season performance. Obviously thereís a few times Mo didnít get a save in the post season but for the most part he was dominant on the biggest stage. Playing in Seattle hurt Martinez too, not a big franchise name or following. The big vote gains over the years is stupid to me regardless of the player. Edgar was a HOFer his first year of eligibility just like his 10th. Larry Walker is gaining traction too but his numbers didnít change after last season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Please note: Card collecting is my hobby, not my life. I don't take it that serious and like to keep it fun.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone has to be the first unanimous selection of all-time and I'm glad it's Mariano. Don't get me wrong. Griffey should've been the first. The fact three writers grandstanded and omitted Griffey from their ballots was a travesty of epic proportions. Getting back to Mariano, there's several reasons why his unanimous selection should be no surprise to anyone.

1.) The stats speak for themselves. No need for me to hash out every record the man has. With a minimum of 1000 innings pitched, he's #1 in run prevention. No small feat.
    2.) Class. You never heard a negative thing about the man. He took the ball, dominated and cue Sinatra.
    3.) Postseason prowess speaks for itself. 31 of 42 postseason saves from MO were four outs or more to go along with a microscopic 0.70 ERA. There have been more souls on the moon, than earned runs surrendered by MO in October. The allure and nostalgia is endless.
    4.) The humble beginning from rags to riches is a rarity. This man overcame numerous instances of strife. From the poor fishing village of Panama, to the bright lights of the Bronx.
    5.) Fierce competitor, but an even bigger sportsman. Even in defeat, MO never bashed his teammates. Never. MO took his lickings personally and walked off the mound with his head held high. The pride of wearing Pinstripes never wavered for him.
    6.) He survived for 19 seasons on one pitch. Let's see some other SOB pull that off in today's game.

I can think of more reasons, but these will suffice.
    R.I.P. Harmon Clayton Killebrew June 29, 1936-May 17, 2011 You will surely be missed!

trizzo68
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WizardofOz1982 View Post
    I think even more damning is the 2013 Ballot included 8 guys who are now in the Hall of Fame but the BBWAA elected no one that year. They weren't Hall of Famers then but are now?
    I forgot about that.

Sent from my iPad using Freedom Card Board mobile app

trizzo68
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jbone17 View Post
    Someone has to be the first unanimous selection of all-time and I'm glad it's Mariano. Don't get me wrong. Griffey should've been the first. The fact three writers grandstanded and omitted Griffey from their ballots was a travesty of epic proportions. Getting back to Mariano, there's several reasons why his unanimous selection should be no surprise to anyone.

1.) The stats speak for themselves. No need for me to hash out every record the man has. With a minimum of 1000 innings pitched, he's #1 in run prevention. No small feat.
    2.) Class. You never heard a negative thing about the man. He took the ball, dominated and cue Sinatra.
    3.) Postseason prowess speaks for itself. 31 of 42 postseason saves from MO were four outs or more to go along with a microscopic 0.70 ERA. There have been more souls on the moon, than earned runs surrendered by MO in October. The allure and nostalgia is endless.
    4.) The humble beginning from rags to riches is a rarity. This man overcame numerous instances of strife. From the poor fishing village of Panama, to the bright lights of the Bronx.
    5.) Fierce competitor, but an even bigger sportsman. Even in defeat, MO never bashed his teammates. Never. MO took his lickings personally and walked off the mound with his head held high. The pride of wearing Pinstripes never wavered for him.
    6.) He survived for 19 seasons on one pitch. Let's see some other SOB pull that off in today's game.

I can think of more reasons, but these will suffice.
    Iím not saying MO doesnít belong. Hands down he deserves to be in. Even when they say the hall is no place for closers or DH. Mo should be the exception. I understand somebody had to be the first unanimous inducted but 143 years to get that blows my mind with the greats that this game has seen.
    They should have an asterisk next to his stats with an arrow pointing to Luis Gonzalez. All jokes aside. He is by far the most dominant closer. He belongs.
    They say he was so good they had to name the reliever of the year award after him. What I find ironic is they did the same for Edgar Martinez yet it took till his last year of eligibility.
    Ahhhh the voters. Good day gentleman.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trizzo22 View Post
    Iím not saying MO doesnít belong. Hands down he deserves to be in. Even when they say the hall is no place for closers or DH. Mo should be the exception. I understand somebody had to be the first unanimous inducted but 143 years to get that blows my mind with the greats that this game has seen.
    They should have an asterisk next to his stats with an arrow pointing to Luis Gonzalez. All jokes aside. He is by far the most dominant closer. He belongs.
    They say he was so good they had to name the reliever of the year award after him. What I find ironic is they did the same for Edgar Martinez yet it took till his last year of eligibility.
    Ahhhh the voters. Good day gentleman.

It was a crime that it took Edgar this long. Easily the most feared DH of our time next to Papi.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    R.I.P. Harmon Clayton Killebrew June 29, 1936-May 17, 2011 You will surely be missed!

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jbone17 View Post
    It was a crime that it took Edgar this long. Easily the most feared DH of our time next to Papi.
    Both of them take a back seat to Frank Thomas, in my opinion.
    Wanting to buy '96 Select Certified Mirror Gold baseball...commons & stars

joey_baseball
     joey12524
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well someone had to be first with 100 percent, now i am sure there will be others. I think with all the social media and coverage there is now played a role in that.
    Good for Mo, there will never be another like him.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letch77 View Post
    Both of them take a back seat to Frank Thomas, in my opinion.
    You could certainly make an argument for the Big Hurt. He and Edgar are pretty much even in my book. They got to their value in a little bit different way but they're pretty similar. Edgar averaged 4.5 fwar/600 PA to Frank's 4.3 which is basically a wash.

Ortiz is a distant third.
    I PC Jeff Frye, Ozzie Smith, Jeff Bagwell, and Matt Holiday. Working on 2006-2018 Allen & Ginter sets
    https://jefffryecollection.wordpress.com - My collection website with galleries and want lists

trizzo68
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The one that makes me shake my head when I think about it is Cal Ripken Jr.
    but hey, they finally did it so letís hope we see more worthy players get in unanimously

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trizzo22 View Post
    The one that makes me shake my head when I think about it is Cal Ripken Jr.
    but hey, they finally did it so let’s hope we see more worthy players get in unanimously

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    Cal was not a Yankee!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12