Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Crazy HOF fact...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Mariano Rivera was the first Hall of Famer to be elected unanimously - every single voter voted for him - including voters who are Red Sox fans.

amazing not even Babe Ruth, Ted Williams, Willie Mays, Hank Aaron or others even got that piece of history before Rivera. I guess everyone before Rivera rubbed at least a writer or two the wrong way and thus missed out on some votes to make it a unanimous election.

------------

Also have to note Roy Halladay's election. I haven't found a stat for this, but I wonder when the last BBWAA player elected was inducted posthumously like Halladay is going to be. I know special committees must have put into the HOF someone posthumously more recently than the BBWAA (I'm thinking along the lines of likely a ***** Leagues player induction).

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Mariano Rivera was the first Hall of Famer to be elected unanimously - every single voter voted for him - including voters who are Red Sox fans.

amazing not even Babe Ruth, Ted Williams, Willie Mays, Hank Aaron or others even got that piece of history before Rivera. I guess everyone before Rivera rubbed at least a writer or two the wrong way and thus missed out on some votes to make it a unanimous election.

------------

Also have to note Roy Halladay's election. I haven't found a stat for this, but I wonder when the last BBWAA player elected was inducted posthumously like Halladay is going to be. I know special committees must have put into the HOF someone posthumously more recently than the BBWAA (I'm thinking along the lines of likely a ***** Leagues player induction).

As far as the BBWAA voting is concerned I think that Christy Mathewson is the only other posthumously elected member by the regular voting process. Clemente was too but that was by a special vote. There have been tons of committee elected members that were posthumous of course. The last were Deacon White, Jacob Ruppert, and Hank O'Day in 2013 when no one was elected by the BBWAA yet there were 8 eventual Hall of Famers on the ballot.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts