Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What got you back into the hobby?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
I collected as kid all the way up until early 1991.

Late in 1994 or early 1995, Toys R Us was blowing out series two 1994 Collectors Choice packs at like .50 or 3/$1 and the combination of price, rookies and one per pack silver sig got me hooked again.

How about you?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Gjb70

Aug 1, 2015
The first time was In 95 or 96 my parents called me. Said they were cleaning out the garage and wanted to know if I still wanted my card collection. Went to pick it up, sorted through it and a couple days later went to a local shop to buy some supplies. Saw 94 upper deck packs on the counter for $1/pack, grabbed about 10 and pulled an ARod auto. Hooked again immediately.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Simply put, while away in the Navy, I had shelved cards and right before I was separating, found out a buddy collected and had some in our barracks. He showed them off to me and I found they were very different than what I had collected (through about 1988 give or take a few cards here and there) and soon I was going with him to a local card shop ("Jelly's" for anyone who had been to Hawaii in the 90s-00s, I think they are gone now) and buying up "the missing years" via cheap wax. This was 1993.

Gjb70

Aug 1, 2015
The first time was In 95 or 96 my parents called me. Said they were cleaning out the garage and wanted to know if I still wanted my card collection. Went to pick it up, sorted through it and a couple days later went to a local shop to buy some supplies. Saw 94 upper deck packs on the counter for $1/pack, grabbed about 10 and pulled an ARod auto. Hooked again immediately.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
It was Beavis and Butthead for me. I collected though the 70's as a kid. When I was 10 in 1980 for some reasom I bought a tun of packs of topps and just forgot about it. Well I saw Beavis and Butthead had packs around 1994 and got some and went for the set. That got me thinking about my 1980 topps. Finished the 1980 topps and the rest was history...…
s-l500.jpg

Last edited:

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
1960's for bike spokes -- kept some - still have , mid 1980's LCS near where i worked - i was on call so couldn't go far -walked , they closed but i got inventory - now about 1 million due to closing shops and habit of buying newer . sell at local minor league stadium / give to low income schools for Christmas .

finestkind

Aug 17, 2008
Massachusetts
I haven't done hardly anything with the hobby since about 2014. Life keeps getting in the way big time. :( I used to go to card shows to work on about 20-25 sets in different sports I've been working on. I bought about 20,000 cards on craigslist about 6 years ago, hoping that would get me going again. It didn't. The 25-30 binders were taking up to much space along with about 30,000 extra cards. I asked the woman that takes care of my wife during the day if her son would like some card. She was good with it. Now I'm down to 6 or 8 sets I care about that I would like to finish some day and about 8-10,000 I can used for trades.

So now I just look for cards for my player collection of anyone named Hogan from any set in any sport pre-war mostly. NO hulk Hogan. He's an idiot.

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
fThe 2000 GOTG set perked my interest in baseball cards again. I was at the local mall back in 2001 and came across a card table selling the 2000 Greats of the Game base cards. I fell in love with the sleek design and checklist. I paid $5 for the Mattingly base, wishing I could buy the autographed version. Finally bought one last January.

s-l1600.jpg

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
in 1989 had a motorcycle accident, couldnt work spent the summer months near albany ny. that year the yankee farm team up there was winning evreything. met some players at the games started picking up yankee cards.

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
I stopped collecting when Mantle retired in 1969, but when Donruss & Fleer joined the ranks of putting out cards, I started to get back into it just to check them out!

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
Going to work at Topps.

I collected 1985-1990, gave it up when I started high school. Really didn't think about cards again until a couple years after college, temping in NYC in 2000 and looking through the crazy amount of jobs available. Dot com economy was nuts and everybody in NYC was hiring, but I pretty much hated every temp job I had. When I saw Topps was hiring, I applied, got the job, and quickly got schooled on these new-fangled GU and pack-issued auto cards.

Worked at Topps for less than two years, but the cards I left there with kept me in the hobby. Spent the next few years trading a lot of them on the old Beckett boards. Good times.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Collected like everyone as a kid starting in ‘87. Must have been a lot of newspaper articles about cards as an “investment” at that point because for some reason my mom brought home a few packs from the store one day that I didn’t ask for. I didn’t even like baseball. But I opened that out of boredom, got interested in finding out why some would supposedly be worth “more” than others which got me to start paying attention to baseball. So really, the cards got me interested in baseball in the first place. Weird. Anyhow, collected until I got a car and started chasing girls.
In 2003 there was a lot of buzz about Rickie Weeks and Prince Fielder locally and real excitement that the Brewers might not be terrible my entire life and I thought I’d look to see what their cards looked like and maybe pick one up. I was hooked. Had 300 Rickie Weeks certified autographs by late 2004 before I figured out what the hell I was doing lol

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Collected like everyone as a kid starting in ‘87. Must have been a lot of newspaper articles about cards as an “investment” at that point because for some reason my mom brought home a few packs from the store one day that I didn’t ask for. I didn’t even like baseball. But I opened that out of boredom, got interested in finding out why some would supposedly be worth “more” than others which got me to start paying attention to baseball. So really, the cards got me interested in baseball in the first place. Weird. Anyhow, collected until I got a car and started chasing girls.
In 2003 there was a lot of buzz about Rickie Weeks and Prince Fielder locally and real excitement that the Brewers might not be terrible my entire life and I thought I’d look to see what their cards looked like and maybe pick one up. I was hooked. Had 300 Rickie Weeks certified autographs by late 2004 before I figured out what the hell I was doing lol

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Interesting that your mom got you started. My parents neither encouraged or discouraged my collecting, except that dad took a regular box, cut it down and made three partitions, for a homemade 3 row box, that was about 3 feet long. Mom got me an index card 9 drawer file cabinet, later on!

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
When I was still in the early stages of collecting, my dad made some nice wood boxes with then removable dividers to hold cards. I seem to remember something similar to the 4 row, 3200 count box in size (no lid). They were obviously a lot more bulky than the future cardboard boxes that would become so popular. I wish I had kept at least 1 or 2 of those for nostalgic sake, but they probably all ended up as scrap or fire wood.

eddiejr

Nov 8, 2015
My dad introduced me to cards in around '84, I remember he had some 1984 Topps oversized cards, they were pretty cool. 1987 Topps with the wood border was the beginning for me though. Lasted from '87 until '93, mostly baseball with some '91-92 & '92-93 basketball mixed in (Shaq's rookie cards). I dabbled a little after that but I wasn't really interested anymore.

Flash forward to 2007 when I discovered eBay. I only wanted a single Chris Paul autograph with a piece of jersey in it so I bought one of these...
main_1-Chris-Paul-2005-06-SPx-153-Jersey-Autograph-RC-PristineAuction.com.jpg

The plan was to only get one but... I couldn't stop, lol. Bought more and more Chris Paul rookie year cards, until he got traded. Then I sold them all.
Then another Hornet player no one remembers, sold all of his.
Then a Hornets/Pelicans PC, which I still have but haven't added to in years.
Then another Hornet player no one remembers, still have all of his.

Then after many years and many changes to it my pride and joy, my Yankees PC.

Attachments

• main_1-Chris-Paul-2005-06-SPx-153-Jersey-Autograph-RC-PristineAuction.com.jpg
    main_1-Chris-Paul-2005-06-SPx-153-Jersey-Autograph-RC-PristineAuction.com.jpg
    555.5 KB · Views: 11

forgerelli

Apr 4, 2013
I was born a collector. Started with Matchbox and Hot Wheels, then GI Joe and baseball cards. Put together the 1983 Fleer set as a 7-8 year old and I was hardcore collecting cards until about 1991. Then girls. Then comics. Then punk vinyl records. Then comics again. Then I went to a Mariano Rivera signing in 2011. Got a ball and 2 photos. On the drive home I decided to get a Mariano PSA 10 rookie to display with the auto's. Auto #1104 came in the mail today. A 1/1 laundry tag auto from 2009 Topps Sterling.

Scott F

Members online