User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What got you back into the hobby?

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What got you back into the hobby?

I collected as kid all the way up until early 1991.

Late in 1994 or early 1995, Toys R Us was blowing out series two 1994 Collectors Choice packs at like .50 or 3/$1 and the combination of price, rookies and one per pack silver sig got me hooked again.

How about you?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first time was In 95 or 96 my parents called me. Said they were cleaning out the garage and wanted to know if I still wanted my card collection. Went to pick it up, sorted through it and a couple days later went to a local shop to buy some supplies. Saw 94 upper deck packs on the counter for $1/pack, grabbed about 10 and pulled an ARod auto. Hooked again immediately.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simply put, while away in the Navy, I had shelved cards and right before I was separating, found out a buddy collected and had some in our barracks. He showed them off to me and I found they were very different than what I had collected (through about 1988 give or take a few cards here and there) and soon I was going with him to a local card shop ("Jelly's" for anyone who had been to Hawaii in the 90s-00s, I think they are gone now) and buying up "the missing years" via cheap wax. This was 1993.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first time was In 95 or 96 my parents called me. Said they were cleaning out the garage and wanted to know if I still wanted my card collection. Went to pick it up, sorted through it and a couple days later went to a local shop to buy some supplies. Saw 94 upper deck packs on the counter for $1/pack, grabbed about 10 and pulled an ARod auto. Hooked again immediately.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was Beavis and Butthead for me. I collected though the 70's as a kid. When I was 10 in 1980 for some reasom I bought a tun of packs of topps and just forgot about it. Well I saw Beavis and Butthead had packs around 1994 and got some and went for the set. That got me thinking about my 1980 topps. Finished the 1980 topps and the rest was history...Ö
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l500.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	86578
    Last edited by bongo870; 01-28-2019 at 10:56 PM.
    I collect Ken Griffey Jr, Ryan Howard, Steve Carlton and the rest of the Phillies.
    My Site:
    https://bradswebsite.synthasite.com/

Matthew 21:22
    "And all things, whatsoever you shall ask in prayer, believing, you shall recieve."

tramersfoulball
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1960's for bike spokes -- kept some - still have , mid 1980's LCS near where i worked - i was on call so couldn't go far -walked , they closed but i got inventory - now about 1 million due to closing shops and habit of buying newer . sell at local minor league stadium / give to low income schools for Christmas .

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't done hardly anything with the hobby since about 2014. Life keeps getting in the way big time. I used to go to card shows to work on about 20-25 sets in different sports I've been working on. I bought about 20,000 cards on craigslist about 6 years ago, hoping that would get me going again. It didn't. The 25-30 binders were taking up to much space along with about 30,000 extra cards. I asked the woman that takes care of my wife during the day if her son would like some card. She was good with it. Now I'm down to 6 or 8 sets I care about that I would like to finish some day and about 8-10,000 I can used for trades.

So now I just look for cards for my player collection of anyone named Hogan from any set in any sport pre-war mostly. NO hulk Hogan. He's an idiot.

RagingAcid
     @RagingAcid
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MLB the show got me into the hobby for the first time (Im a youngin), played the Dynasty gamemode and thought "I want those irl"

rp7001
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fThe 2000 GOTG set perked my interest in baseball cards again. I was at the local mall back in 2001 and came across a card table selling the 2000 Greats of the Game base cards. I fell in love with the sleek design and checklist. I paid $5 for the Mattingly base, wishing I could buy the autographed version. Finally bought one last January.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	68.8 KB 
ID:	86590

joey_baseball
     joey12524
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    in 1989 had a motorcycle accident, couldnt work spent the summer months near albany ny. that year the yankee farm team up there was winning evreything. met some players at the games started picking up yankee cards.

mantle7man
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I stopped collecting when Mantle retired in 1969, but when Donruss & Fleer joined the ranks of putting out cards, I started to get back into it just to check them out!
    Collector of Autographs, TTM autographs, Vintage, Yankees and Mantle
    Sets completed 1955-1965, 1967, 1969, 1951 Topps Red & Blue Back, 1951 Bowman, 1955 Bowman, 1963 Fleer, 1965 Topps Embossed, 1961 Topps Stamps, 1962 Topps Stamps & 1968 Topps Game.
    Yankee needs:Two 1962 Topps stamp pairs. Need T209 Contentnea Roanoke players.dano 7 by Danny Secrist, on Flickr

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hookers and blow.

Or was it Charlie Sheen? Either way, they go hand in hand.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going to work at Topps.

I collected 1985-1990, gave it up when I started high school. Really didn't think about cards again until a couple years after college, temping in NYC in 2000 and looking through the crazy amount of jobs available. Dot com economy was nuts and everybody in NYC was hiring, but I pretty much hated every temp job I had. When I saw Topps was hiring, I applied, got the job, and quickly got schooled on these new-fangled GU and pack-issued auto cards.

Worked at Topps for less than two years, but the cards I left there with kept me in the hobby. Spent the next few years trading a lot of them on the old Beckett boards. Good times.
    HOF auto collector - I'm up to 258 different in my collection (used to have a photobucket link here, but photobucket sucks)

GO ROCKIES!

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RagingAcid View Post
    MLB the show got me into the hobby for the first time (Im a youngin), played the Dynasty gamemode and thought "I want those irl"
    Thatís actually awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    SCREW PHOTOBUCKET
    Jeff Cirillo Spread Sheet ||
    Hall of Unending Gratitude: dazed, magicpapa, uniquebaseballcards, and the vigilant eye of tonsofcommons

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dano7 View Post
    I stopped collecting when Mantle retired in 1969, but when Donruss & Fleer joined the ranks of putting out cards, I started to get back into it just to check them out!
    Man those first two years were disgusting so Iím surprised they brought you back lol

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    SCREW PHOTOBUCKET
    Jeff Cirillo Spread Sheet ||
    Hall of Unending Gratitude: dazed, magicpapa, uniquebaseballcards, and the vigilant eye of tonsofcommons

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast