User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 32

Thread: 2018 Rookie Class - Where would you rank them?

  1. #16
    Senior Member death2redemptions's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    The Carolina on the Southern side
    Posts
    12,488
     ddavisaz
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WCTYSON View Post
    Agreed on Albies. I'm just holding out hope Robles becomes the player that Albies is currently. Albies is not done progressing though and I think you are correct that he needs to run more, which I could see him reaching your tier one. He is the player I like to watch most currently, in all of baseball.

    Also, nobody has even talked about Devers and Soroka also being in this rookie class.
    Holy crud, you're right. I was thinking Devers first rookie card was in 2017 and as a Braves fan I've got no excuse for missing Soroka. I think both of them are borderline tier 2 rookies. Devers has questionable defense and has been a little up and down in his young career but he seems to be clicking in 2019 and putting up tier 1 type offensive numbers. Soroka has already pitched in an All-Star game, leads the NL in ERA+ & will likely be the runner-up ROY (at the very least top 3) as a 21 year old but his FIP will tell you he's been a bit lucky and in the future he may not have true ace potential as he relies more on weak contact rather than blow it by them strikeout stuff. I think of him more as a young Tim Hudson. Will probably have some years where he ranks within the top 3 in Cy Young but will settle in as a reliable #2 pitcher.

    Agreed on Albies, tons of room for growth. Eventually he'll become a perennial .300 hitter with tons of multi-hit games, gold glove defense with well above average pop and speed. I really do imagine his ceiling as an Altuve-type player. Also, no reason to give up on Robles reaching similar potential. While I don't perceive him to have quite the potential as Albies I still believe him capable of becoming a top of the order All-Star while being the best defensive outfielder for quite some time. Again, I like the comparison of him becoming a Heyward type player...his advanced metrics will always look much better than his traditional stats. He may never become that .300 hitter who hits 30+ home runs on a regular basis but he'll very often get on base, score a ton of runs & his speed will produce a lot more runs than your typical player, even if he doesn't steal 30 bases. Lots of gold glove awards.


    So....make that 13 rookies who will all likely make more than a single All-Star appearance in their career! Crazy...
    Look, I'm gonna be honest with you. I really need a job. And I will take any position, as long as it doesn't involve having sex with old ladies for money or bear traps. Those are my two bugaboos. While mulling over my resume feel free to check out my baseball card collection, it's small and simple, kinda like me - >>>>> https://s822.photobucket.com/user/JDf...ds%20n%20stuff


  2. #17
    Senior Member death2redemptions's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    The Carolina on the Southern side
    Posts
    12,488
     ddavisaz
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TIER 1 - MVP Potential/Ace Potential
    Ronald Acuna
    Juan Soto
    Walker Buehler
    Gleyber Torres

    TIER 2 - Perennial All-Star (5 WAR) Caliber/Frontline Starter
    Shane Bieber
    Ozhaino Albies
    Jack Flaherty
    Mike Soroka
    Rafael Devers

    TIER 3 - All-Star Potential
    Rhys Hoskins
    Shohei Ohtani
    Victor Robles
    Miguel Andujar
    Look, I'm gonna be honest with you. I really need a job. And I will take any position, as long as it doesn't involve having sex with old ladies for money or bear traps. Those are my two bugaboos. While mulling over my resume feel free to check out my baseball card collection, it's small and simple, kinda like me - >>>>> https://s822.photobucket.com/user/JDf...ds%20n%20stuff


  3. #18
    Senior Member WCTYSON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    7,078
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Austin Meadows, tier 2/3? Any other names that are being overlooked?
    "...it just sounded to me like he felt like he did not do it."

  4. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Gamecock Country
    Posts
    820
     cmcjr99
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WCTYSON View Post
    Austin Meadows, tier 2/3? Any other names that are being overlooked?
    i was already planning to post mentioning quite a few who are at least serviceable and that i was surprised no one else had mentioned yet .....granted , they maybe not future superstars , but if nothing else they definitely add lots of depth to the class....

    brian anderson
    garrett cooper
    clint frazier
    mitch garver
    niko goodrum
    lourdes gurriel
    scott kingery
    ryan mcmahon
    austin meadows
    franmil reyes
    amed rosario
    anthony santander
    chance sisco
    dominic snith
    mike tauchmann
    alex verdugo

    sandy alcantara
    max fried
    jordan hicks
    joey luchesi
    tyler mahle
    miles mikolas
    brandon woodruff
    ryan yarbrough
    I collect any and all South Carolina Gamec0cks in any sport including players and coaches .
    Master set projects
    football : 2000 Finest , 2001 Bowman's Best , 2004 Fleer Tradition`, and 2017 Donruss
    baseball : 2002 Topps Chrome and 2007 Topps
    Claude's Desperate Plea for Help After Dad's Death (pay pal pool)

  5. #20
    Junior Member walt_altmen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    94
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In no particular order, this is my only tier:

    Soto
    Torres
    Albies
    Soroka
    Acuna
    Robles

    or maybe it is in a particular order. was gonna just keep it to top 5 but robles is amazing defensively. just needs help at the plate.

    acuna gets all the hobby love, but his current style of play is very lackadaisical and borderline selfish.

    from base running, to his chains hitting him in the face and missing a home run robbing catch, to letting that double happen tonight , trying to be flashy while trying to rob kingery of a home run only to allow an inside the park one to several other instances. hes already been yanked outta games, benched, scorned in the dugout and nothing seems to be working. not only that, since the 40/40 *personal* record has come into play hes been striking out left and right and currently leads the mlb because of it. the flash and flare were cute at first but its starting to get old real quick. not only with the coaches but with a few of the more rounded players on the team as well. if it continues he could very easily go from being seen as a contributing factor to being a toxic one. and if the tide does turn on him, with some of the attitude that hes displayed thus far, i could see it getting real ugly from a pr stance.

    the person at the top of my list is batting in the 4 spot vs lead off and the exact opposite in every way with one less year of maturity at that. the kid loves the game. lives across the street from the stadium, signs all the time (acuna rarely does) and just seems to respect the game and team more than himself.
    Last edited by walt_altmen; 09-19-2019 at 03:38 AM.
    looking for: 2018 topps mini #us300 juan soto green /5 and all 2012 & 2013 high profile rendon cards

  6. #21
    Senior Member death2redemptions's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    The Carolina on the Southern side
    Posts
    12,488
     ddavisaz
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm having a hard time trying to think of a year with as good of a pitching rookie class as 2018. We've got four hurlers who are looking like frontline starters with a couple of them who could seriously become legit aces.
    Look, I'm gonna be honest with you. I really need a job. And I will take any position, as long as it doesn't involve having sex with old ladies for money or bear traps. Those are my two bugaboos. While mulling over my resume feel free to check out my baseball card collection, it's small and simple, kinda like me - >>>>> https://s822.photobucket.com/user/JDf...ds%20n%20stuff


  7. #22
    Senior Member WCTYSON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    7,078
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a quick glance of the 2018 rookie class in their sophomore seasons, only noting top 50 in WAR for 2019 currently.

    Per Fangraphs:

    Acuna - 5.5
    Devers - 5.5
    Soto - 4.8
    Albies - 4.7
    Meadows - 4.1
    Torres - 3.7

    Bieber - 5.6
    Buehler - 4.8
    Flaherty - 4.5
    Soroka - 3.9
    Woodruff - 3.3
    Fried - 2.9
    Yarbrough - 2.8

    Feel free to add any names, if I overlooked any.
    "...it just sounded to me like he felt like he did not do it."

  8. #23
    Senior Member death2redemptions's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    The Carolina on the Southern side
    Posts
    12,488
     ddavisaz
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WCTYSON View Post
    Austin Meadows, tier 2/3? Any other names that are being overlooked?
    Now there you go...if his 2019 season is any indication of how he'll perform in the future I'd definitely rank him as a tier 2 rookie.
    Look, I'm gonna be honest with you. I really need a job. And I will take any position, as long as it doesn't involve having sex with old ladies for money or bear traps. Those are my two bugaboos. While mulling over my resume feel free to check out my baseball card collection, it's small and simple, kinda like me - >>>>> https://s822.photobucket.com/user/JDf...ds%20n%20stuff


  9. #24
    Senior Member WCTYSON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    7,078
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by death2redemptions View Post
    Now there you go...if his 2019 season is any indication of how he'll perform in the future I'd definitely rank him as a tier 2 rookie.
    Quote Originally Posted by WCTYSON View Post
    Here is a quick glance of the 2018 rookie class in their sophomore seasons, only noting top 50 in WAR for 2019 currently.

    Per Fangraphs:

    Acuna - 5.5
    Devers - 5.5
    Soto - 4.8
    Albies - 4.7
    Meadows - 4.1
    Torres - 3.7

    Bieber - 5.6
    Buehler - 4.8
    Flaherty - 4.5
    Soroka - 3.9
    Woodruff - 3.3
    Fried - 2.9
    Yarbrough - 2.8

    Feel free to add any names, if I overlooked any.
    I don't have much Meadows personally but I'm looking into it.

    Here is an updated list (wRC+ & FIP in bold), Per Fangraphs:

    Acuna - 5.5 - 127
    Devers - 5.5 - 132
    Soto - 4.8 - 143
    Albies - 4.7 - 120
    Meadows - 4.1 - 143
    Torres - 3.7 - 125

    Bieber - 5.6 - 3.33
    Buehler - 4.8 - 3.03
    Flaherty - 4.5 - 3.53
    Soroka - 3.9 - 3.44
    Woodruff - 3.3 - 3.02
    Fried - 2.9 - 3.78
    Yarbrough - 2.8 - 3.46

    And as a side note, most of these young guys will be playing into October.
    Last edited by WCTYSON; 09-27-2019 at 10:33 AM.
    "...it just sounded to me like he felt like he did not do it."

  10. #25
    Junior Member walt_altmen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    94
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    acuna matata still?
    looking for: 2018 topps mini #us300 juan soto green /5 and all 2012 & 2013 high profile rendon cards

  11. #26
    Senior Member WCTYSON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    7,078
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by walt_altmen View Post
    acuna matata still?
    I think so and deservedly so, but I will caution that there is a lot price manipulation going on with his cards IMO.
    "...it just sounded to me like he felt like he did not do it."

  12. #27
    Senior Member WCTYSON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    7,078
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 2017 rookie class among position players could be more impactful than the 2018 class but I think the 2017 class is lacking on top end pitching.

    Judge
    Bellinger
    Chapman
    Bregman
    Olson
    Benintendi
    Moncada
    Bell


    German
    Marquez?
    Castillo?
    Williams?
    Freeland?
    Last edited by WCTYSON; 09-27-2019 at 11:43 AM.
    "...it just sounded to me like he felt like he did not do it."

  13. #28
    Senior Member death2redemptions's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    The Carolina on the Southern side
    Posts
    12,488
     ddavisaz
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WCTYSON View Post
    I think so and deservedly so, but I will caution that there is a lot price manipulation going on with his cards IMO.
    Are they going for insanely high prices at the moment? It's been a hot minute since I've went to see what he's going for on the market.

    Quote Originally Posted by WCTYSON View Post
    The 2017 rookie class among position players could be more impactful than the 2018 class but I think the 2017 class is lacking on top end pitching.

    Judge
    Bellinger
    Chapman
    Bregman
    Olson
    Benintendi
    Moncada
    Bell


    German
    Marquez?
    Castillo?
    Williams?
    Freeland?
    Hmmmm, I'm not so sure on that. When talking potential impact (2017 rookies have had a couple years to show off their stuff so I'd like to project what the 2018 class could do in 2020 in order to be fair), I believe the tier 1-3 position players from the 2018 class are quite similar to those of the 2017 class. Give Acuna/Soto another year or two and it's possible they'll live up to Judge/Bellinger. After all, Bellinger is a few years older than Soto and Acuna is like six years younger than Judge so if we are also including potential impact here I think the two pairs of players could have similar floors. As for the rest of the names, I think Torres has similar potential to Bregman & when there has been a two year gap for the 2018 rookies Albies, Devers, Meadows, Hoskins, Ohtani and Robles would be just as, or possibly a little more, impactful as Moncada, Benny, Bell, Olson and Chapman.

    Right now both classes are just as deep, possibly more so for the 2018 class while the 2017 class may have an ever so slightly more impactful front end. Also, by 2020 there may be even more names from the 2018 class that reach top tier 1-3 status.

    Overall I still get what you're saying...that 2017 class of position players is looking very stellar too but it greatly lacks pitching depth.
    Look, I'm gonna be honest with you. I really need a job. And I will take any position, as long as it doesn't involve having sex with old ladies for money or bear traps. Those are my two bugaboos. While mulling over my resume feel free to check out my baseball card collection, it's small and simple, kinda like me - >>>>> https://s822.photobucket.com/user/JDf...ds%20n%20stuff


  14. #29
    Junior Member walt_altmen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    94
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by walt_altmen View Post
    In no particular order, this is my only tier:

    Soto
    Torres
    Albies
    Soroka
    Acuna
    Robles

    or maybe it is in a particular order. was gonna just keep it to top 5 but robles is amazing defensively. just needs help at the plate.

    acuna gets all the hobby love, but his current style of play is very lackadaisical and borderline selfish.

    from base running, to his chains hitting him in the face and missing a home run robbing catch, to letting that double happen tonight , trying to be flashy while trying to rob kingery of a home run only to allow an inside the park one to several other instances. hes already been yanked outta games, benched, scorned in the dugout and nothing seems to be working. not only that, since the 40/40 *personal* record has come into play hes been striking out left and right and currently leads the mlb because of it. the flash and flare were cute at first but its starting to get old real quick. not only with the coaches but with a few of the more rounded players on the team as well. if it continues he could very easily go from being seen as a contributing factor to being a toxic one. and if the tide does turn on him, with some of the attitude that hes displayed thus far, i could see it getting real ugly from a pr stance.

    the person at the top of my list is batting in the 4 spot vs lead off and the exact opposite in every way with one less year of maturity at that. the kid loves the game. lives across the street from the stadium, signs all the time (acuna rarely does) and just seems to respect the game and team more than himself.

    if you just saw the box score of the braves game tonight, youd think acuna killed it.

    if you actually watched the game, you know the only thing acuna killed was their chances of winning. easily left one run on the board in the 1st and a quite possibly a second run by watching his single that he thought was a homer...again.

    was called out from everybody from the tbs announcers, freeman, martinez and even best bud albies.

    people are getting sick of it.
    looking for: 2018 topps mini #us300 juan soto green /5 and all 2012 & 2013 high profile rendon cards

  15. #30
    Senior Member JVHaste's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    3,448
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I had the pick of the litter it would be very tempting to take Flaherty above all others. (just a projection, not based on what they have done thus far)


    Agreed with Walt, lack of playoff hustle is a long term concern.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •