User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Rookie Class - Where would you rank them?

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question 2018 Rookie Class - Where would you rank them?

https://www.mlb.com/news/best-rookie...47/c-295885062

I know from a collecting standpoint this year's rookies rank at the top of my list and I can not wait to see how their careers play out.

Acuna
    Soto
    Ohtani
    Torres
    Andujar
    Robles
    Albies
    Hoskins

Buehler
    Bieber
    Flaherty
    .............. and the list goes on.

I really do see each of the above as mainstay players for the next decade. What an incredible rookie class. I have collected some of most of these guys and will be posting from time to time in this thread with additions. Feel free to list some names from the 2018 rookie class that you collect and post up some items that you have collected too.
    Last edited by WCTYSON; 01-29-2019 at 02:26 PM.
    "...it just sounded to me like he felt like he did not do it."

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll start this off with the NL ROY, Acuna:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Acuna Favorites.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	86591

corockies
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unpopular opinion - Walker Buehler has the best chance for longevity since he pitches in LA and under the tutelage of Clayton Kershaw.

I'm really high on Harrison Bader. Dude can just play, and is fast.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by corockies View Post
    Unpopular opinion - Walker Buehler has the best chance for longevity since he pitches in LA and under the tutelage of Clayton Kershaw.

I'm really high on Harrison Bader. Dude can just play, and is fast.
    If you are talking among rookie pitchers, then I totally agree on Buehler but I'm not sure why it would be an unpopular opinion. The guy is filthy and his prices are already jumping. I have a few items of his incoming, so I will wait a bit before I post any of his cards.

Bader is another rookie in this class to keep an eye on. I believe I have a few nice cards of his and I will post some when I get a chance. Are you holding either player? If so, post some items when you have a chance to do so.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today I'll do, Juan Soto:

Name:	Soto Favorites.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	110.8 KB 
ID:	86634

I also have a Gold Label Auto being redeemed. I'll add that to this post when I get it, if I like the auto quality.

Let's see some 2018 rookies fellas.

corockies
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WCTYSON View Post
    If you are talking among rookie pitchers, then I totally agree on Buehler but I'm not sure why it would be an unpopular opinion. The guy is filthy and his prices are already jumping. I have a few items of his incoming, so I will wait a bit before I post any of his cards.

Bader is another rookie in this class to keep an eye on. I believe I have a few nice cards of his and I will post some when I get a chance. Are you holding either player? If so, post some items when you have a chance to do so.
    When I said unpopular opinion I meant that I believe Buehler will be the best out of the entire 2018 class.

Only good RC items I have of Buehler and Bader is a 2018 Stadium Club Photographer's Proof of Buehler (stated print run of 8) and a 2018 Stadium Club Rainbow Foil Bader /25. Not planning on moving either at this time unless some primo Rockies stuff hits my radar.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by corockies View Post
    When I said unpopular opinion I meant that I believe Buehler will be the best out of the entire 2018 class.
    That is a bold statement. I was with you but in order for a pitcher to overshadow position players they have to do somethings that are extraordinary. Buehler could be that pitcher, time will tell.

Senior Member death2redemptions's Avatar
     ddavisaz
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll start this off with the NL ROY, Acuna:

Name:	Acuna Favorites.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	86591
    Today I'll do, Juan Soto:

Name:	Soto Favorites.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	110.8 KB 
ID:	86634

I also have a Gold Label Auto being redeemed. I'll add that to this post when I get it, if I like the auto quality.

Let's see some 2018 rookies fellas.
    So far your collection is turning out VERY nicely! Love all of them. Keep it up bro

P.S. I haven't been around here in awhile [MENTION=11981]WCTYSON[/MENTION] (ugh...the offseason, more like off-myself season....joking of course...I'm just not around the boards as much during it) but I got your PM and the answer is no, I really don't have much left of the Topps Update stuff. At least none of the autos/relics/SSP's... but I did keep all the decent Acuna stuff for myself along with pretty much all the base and non-auto insert cards which means I have like 13 sets including a master set and near complete master set. I kept those for the very reason you mentioned in the OP...2018 has one of the best, if not THE best rookie classes I have seen in my life...possibly second only (or just as good) to the rookie class of 2011 Topps Update and look how much those base rookie cards are going for today. Soto & Acuna have the potential to be just as good as Harper & Trout (not saying they will be, just saying both have the raw stuff and potential to reach those lofty projections) and they are in the same rookie class, unlike Harper & Trout. But it doesn't end with just those two...you've got Ohtani, Buehler, Torres, Albies...and on and on. It's nuts!

As for [MENTION=9603]corockies[/MENTION] opinion...yeah I'd certainly disagree...him being a pitcher with incredible position players in the same class being the biggest factor why I feel this way but I wouldn't argue against him having the best chance to have the greatest career among the rest of the 2018 pitching rookie class.
    Look, I'm gonna be honest with you. I really need a job. And I will take any position, as long as it doesn't involve having sex with old ladies for money or bear traps. Those are my two bugaboos. While mulling over my resume feel free to check out my baseball card collection, it's small and simple, kinda like me - >>>>> https://s822.photobucket.com/user/JDf...ds%20n%20stuff

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about some love for Albies?:

Name:	Albies Bowmans Best Gold Auto.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	143.3 KB 
ID:	86900Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Albies Bowmans Best Performers Gold Auto.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	151.3 KB 
ID:	86901Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Albies Bowmans Best Performers Auto.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	127.7 KB 
ID:	86902Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Albies TC RC Blue Auto.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	130.3 KB 
ID:	86903Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Albies Sapphire.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	146.0 KB 
ID:	86904

His autographs can be streaky, to say the least. I think I did a solid job of finding good examples though.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Name:	Flaherty RC Update Gold Refractor.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	126.0 KB 
ID:	92442Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Flaherty RC Sapphire Auto.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	118.7 KB 
ID:	92443Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Flaherty RC Lot.JPG 
Size:	148.9 KB 
ID:	92446Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Flaherty 3D RC.JPG 
Size:	125.1 KB 
ID:	92444Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Flaherty Foil RC.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	115.6 KB 
ID:	92445

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Name:	Buehler Topps 3D RC.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	107.0 KB 
ID:	92462Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Buehler Rainbow Foil.JPG 
Size:	139.8 KB 
ID:	92463Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Buehler TC Blue Auto BGS.JPG 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	92464Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Buehler Bowman Chrome Blue Refractor Auto BGS.JPG 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	92465Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Buehler Update.JPG 
Size:	137.1 KB 
ID:	92466Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gold Label Autos (3).JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	117.9 KB 
ID:	92467

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    albies.
    looking for: 2018 topps mini #us300 juan soto green /5 and all 2012 & 2013 high profile rendon cards

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From the very limited amount of games I have been able to watch

TIER 1
    ========
    Acuna
    Buehler

TIER 2
    =======
    Soto ( boy does watching him and Robles make me know perfectly why Harper was a goner)
    Robles
    Andujar
    Torres

TIER 3
    ==========
    Ohtani (glass breaks and so does Ohtani- reminds me of Darvish)
    Bieber
    Flaherty ( need to watch more of his games- torn right now on him)
    Hoskins (defensive headache & liability don't let him run in late innings)
    Albies

Senior Member death2redemptions's Avatar
     ddavisaz
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome collection WCTYSON!! Them rookie refractors shine so bright I gotta wear shades

As for ranking the 2018 rookie class, based on a combination of what they have done to this point and their future potential (and nothing to do with their card values)...

TIER 1 - MVP Potential/Ace Potential
    Ronald Acuna
    Juan Soto
    Walker Buehler
    Gleyber Torres

TIER 2 - Perennial All-Star (5 WAR) Caliber/Frontline Starter
    Shane Bieber
    Ozhaino Albies
    Jack Flaherty

TIER 3 - All-Star Potential
    Rhys Hoskins
    Shohei Ohtani
    Victor Robles
    Miguel Andujar

A few notes....it's incredible that there are four rookies from this class whom I feel are going to be consistently putting up MVP caliber seasons throughout their careers & ELEVEN who, if not already, will be making multiple All-Star appearances.
    The only reason I don't have Ohtani listed as a tier 1 rookie is because I feel he'll constantly be injured to ever win an MVP.
    Why do I have Albies ranked higher than Robles? Am I biased? I don't feel so....Albies plays at a premium position with similar defensive prowess as Robles but I never felt Robles had the sort of hit tool he was praised as having since being drafted. Albies on the other hand has far exceeded my expectations of hitting capability. He has been consistently putting up an OPS above .850 with 20+ home runs and I feel he could easily steal 20 bases in a season as well. So, a defensive wizard at second base who is easily 20/20 capable and Altuve-lite? Yes, I'll take that over Robles. Robles is no slouch either, I just see his career path to be more similar to Jason Heyward, rather than Altuve.
    Flaherty & Bieber both made tier 2 because I put pitching at a premium these days
    Look, I'm gonna be honest with you. I really need a job. And I will take any position, as long as it doesn't involve having sex with old ladies for money or bear traps. Those are my two bugaboos. While mulling over my resume feel free to check out my baseball card collection, it's small and simple, kinda like me - >>>>> https://s822.photobucket.com/user/JDf...ds%20n%20stuff

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by death2redemptions View Post
    Why do I have Albies ranked higher than Robles? Am I biased? I don't feel so....Albies plays at a premium position with similar defensive prowess as Robles but I never felt Robles had the sort of hit tool he was praised as having since being drafted. Albies on the other hand has far exceeded my expectations of hitting capability. He has been consistently putting up an OPS above .850 with 20+ home runs and I feel he could easily steal 20 bases in a season as well. So, a defensive wizard at second base who is easily 20/20 capable and Altuve-lite? Yes, I'll take that over Robles. Robles is no slouch either, I just see his career path to be more similar to Jason Heyward, rather than Altuve.
    Flaherty & Bieber both made tier 2 because I put pitching at a premium these days
    Agreed on Albies. I'm just holding out hope Robles becomes the player that Albies is currently. Albies is not done progressing though and I think you are correct that he needs to run more, which I could see him reaching your tier one. He is the player I like to watch most currently, in all of baseball.

Also, nobody has even talked about Devers and Soroka also being in this rookie class.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast