Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2018 Rookie Class - Where would you rank them?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
https://www.mlb.com/news/best-rookie-classes-in-mlb-since-1947/c-295885062

I know from a collecting standpoint this year's rookies rank at the top of my list and I can not wait to see how their careers play out.

Acuna
Soto
Ohtani
Torres
Andujar
Robles
Albies
Hoskins

Buehler
Bieber
Flaherty
.............. and the list goes on.

I really do see each of the above as mainstay players for the next decade. What an incredible rookie class. I have collected some of most of these guys and will be posting from time to time in this thread with additions. Feel free to list some names from the 2018 rookie class that you collect and post up some items that you have collected too.

Last edited:

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
Unpopular opinion - Walker Buehler has the best chance for longevity since he pitches in LA and under the tutelage of Clayton Kershaw.

I'm really high on Harrison Bader. Dude can just play, and is fast.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
Unpopular opinion - Walker Buehler has the best chance for longevity since he pitches in LA and under the tutelage of Clayton Kershaw.

I'm really high on Harrison Bader. Dude can just play, and is fast.

If you are talking among rookie pitchers, then I totally agree on Buehler but I'm not sure why it would be an unpopular opinion. The guy is filthy and his prices are already jumping. I have a few items of his incoming, so I will wait a bit before I post any of his cards.

Bader is another rookie in this class to keep an eye on. I believe I have a few nice cards of his and I will post some when I get a chance. Are you holding either player? If so, post some items when you have a chance to do so.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
Today I'll do, Juan Soto:

Soto Favorites.JPG

I also have a Gold Label Auto being redeemed. I'll add that to this post when I get it, if I like the auto quality.

Let's see some 2018 rookies fellas.

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
If you are talking among rookie pitchers, then I totally agree on Buehler but I'm not sure why it would be an unpopular opinion. The guy is filthy and his prices are already jumping. I have a few items of his incoming, so I will wait a bit before I post any of his cards.

Bader is another rookie in this class to keep an eye on. I believe I have a few nice cards of his and I will post some when I get a chance. Are you holding either player? If so, post some items when you have a chance to do so.

When I said unpopular opinion I meant that I believe Buehler will be the best out of the entire 2018 class.

Only good RC items I have of Buehler and Bader is a 2018 Stadium Club Photographer's Proof of Buehler (stated print run of 8) and a 2018 Stadium Club Rainbow Foil Bader /25. Not planning on moving either at this time unless some primo Rockies stuff hits my radar.

9yGGLOkh.jpg

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
When I said unpopular opinion I meant that I believe Buehler will be the best out of the entire 2018 class.

That is a bold statement. I was with you but in order for a pitcher to overshadow position players they have to do somethings that are extraordinary. Buehler could be that pitcher, time will tell.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
I'll start this off with the NL ROY, Acuna:

View attachment 86591

Today I'll do, Juan Soto:

View attachment 86634

I also have a Gold Label Auto being redeemed. I'll add that to this post when I get it, if I like the auto quality.

Let's see some 2018 rookies fellas.

So far your collection is turning out VERY nicely! Love all of them. Keep it up bro

P.S. I haven't been around here in awhile [MENTION=11981]WCTYSON[/MENTION] (ugh...the offseason, more like off-myself season....joking of course...I'm just not around the boards as much during it) but I got your PM and the answer is no, I really don't have much left of the Topps Update stuff. At least none of the autos/relics/SSP's... but I did keep all the decent Acuna stuff for myself along with pretty much all the base and non-auto insert cards which means I have like 13 sets including a master set and near complete master set. I kept those for the very reason you mentioned in the OP...2018 has one of the best, if not THE best rookie classes I have seen in my life...possibly second only (or just as good) to the rookie class of 2011 Topps Update and look how much those base rookie cards are going for today. Soto & Acuna have the potential to be just as good as Harper & Trout (not saying they will be, just saying both have the raw stuff and potential to reach those lofty projections) and they are in the same rookie class, unlike Harper & Trout. But it doesn't end with just those two...you've got Ohtani, Buehler, Torres, Albies...and on and on. It's nuts!

As for [MENTION=9603]corockies[/MENTION] opinion...yeah I'd certainly disagree...him being a pitcher with incredible position players in the same class being the biggest factor why I feel this way but I wouldn't argue against him having the best chance to have the greatest career among the rest of the 2018 pitching rookie class.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
How about some love for Albies?:

Albies Bowmans Best Gold Auto.JPGAlbies Bowmans Best Performers Gold Auto.JPGAlbies Bowmans Best Performers Auto.JPGAlbies TC RC Blue Auto.JPGAlbies Sapphire.JPG

His autographs can be streaky, to say the least. I think I did a solid job of finding good examples though.

jeffv96masters

Aug 14, 2008
From the very limited amount of games I have been able to watch

TIER 1
========
Acuna
Buehler

TIER 2
=======
Soto ( boy does watching him and Robles make me know perfectly why Harper was a goner)
Robles
Andujar
Torres

TIER 3
==========
Ohtani (glass breaks and so does Ohtani- reminds me of Darvish)
Bieber
Flaherty ( need to watch more of his games- torn right now on him)
Hoskins (defensive headache & liability don't let him run in late innings)
Albies

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
Awesome collection WCTYSON!! Them rookie refractors shine so bright I gotta wear shades :cool:

As for ranking the 2018 rookie class, based on a combination of what they have done to this point and their future potential (and nothing to do with their card values)...

TIER 1 - MVP Potential/Ace Potential
Ronald Acuna
Juan Soto
Walker Buehler
Gleyber Torres

TIER 2 - Perennial All-Star (5 WAR) Caliber/Frontline Starter
Shane Bieber
Ozhaino Albies
Jack Flaherty

TIER 3 - All-Star Potential
Rhys Hoskins
Shohei Ohtani
Victor Robles
Miguel Andujar

A few notes....it's incredible that there are four rookies from this class whom I feel are going to be consistently putting up MVP caliber seasons throughout their careers & ELEVEN who, if not already, will be making multiple All-Star appearances.
The only reason I don't have Ohtani listed as a tier 1 rookie is because I feel he'll constantly be injured to ever win an MVP.
Why do I have Albies ranked higher than Robles? Am I biased? I don't feel so....Albies plays at a premium position with similar defensive prowess as Robles but I never felt Robles had the sort of hit tool he was praised as having since being drafted. Albies on the other hand has far exceeded my expectations of hitting capability. He has been consistently putting up an OPS above .850 with 20+ home runs and I feel he could easily steal 20 bases in a season as well. So, a defensive wizard at second base who is easily 20/20 capable and Altuve-lite? Yes, I'll take that over Robles. Robles is no slouch either, I just see his career path to be more similar to Jason Heyward, rather than Altuve.
Flaherty & Bieber both made tier 2 because I put pitching at a premium these days

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
Why do I have Albies ranked higher than Robles? Am I biased? I don't feel so....Albies plays at a premium position with similar defensive prowess as Robles but I never felt Robles had the sort of hit tool he was praised as having since being drafted. Albies on the other hand has far exceeded my expectations of hitting capability. He has been consistently putting up an OPS above .850 with 20+ home runs and I feel he could easily steal 20 bases in a season as well. So, a defensive wizard at second base who is easily 20/20 capable and Altuve-lite? Yes, I'll take that over Robles. Robles is no slouch either, I just see his career path to be more similar to Jason Heyward, rather than Altuve.
Flaherty & Bieber both made tier 2 because I put pitching at a premium these days

Agreed on Albies. I'm just holding out hope Robles becomes the player that Albies is currently. Albies is not done progressing though and I think you are correct that he needs to run more, which I could see him reaching your tier one. He is the player I like to watch most currently, in all of baseball.

Also, nobody has even talked about Devers and Soroka also being in this rookie class.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
Agreed on Albies. I'm just holding out hope Robles becomes the player that Albies is currently. Albies is not done progressing though and I think you are correct that he needs to run more, which I could see him reaching your tier one. He is the player I like to watch most currently, in all of baseball.

Also, nobody has even talked about Devers and Soroka also being in this rookie class.

Holy crud, you're right. I was thinking Devers first rookie card was in 2017 and as a Braves fan I've got no excuse for missing Soroka. I think both of them are borderline tier 2 rookies. Devers has questionable defense and has been a little up and down in his young career but he seems to be clicking in 2019 and putting up tier 1 type offensive numbers. Soroka has already pitched in an All-Star game, leads the NL in ERA+ & will likely be the runner-up ROY (at the very least top 3) as a 21 year old but his FIP will tell you he's been a bit lucky and in the future he may not have true ace potential as he relies more on weak contact rather than blow it by them strikeout stuff. I think of him more as a young Tim Hudson. Will probably have some years where he ranks within the top 3 in Cy Young but will settle in as a reliable #2 pitcher.

Agreed on Albies, tons of room for growth. Eventually he'll become a perennial .300 hitter with tons of multi-hit games, gold glove defense with well above average pop and speed. I really do imagine his ceiling as an Altuve-type player. Also, no reason to give up on Robles reaching similar potential. While I don't perceive him to have quite the potential as Albies I still believe him capable of becoming a top of the order All-Star while being the best defensive outfielder for quite some time. Again, I like the comparison of him becoming a Heyward type player...his advanced metrics will always look much better than his traditional stats. He may never become that .300 hitter who hits 30+ home runs on a regular basis but he'll very often get on base, score a ton of runs & his speed will produce a lot more runs than your typical player, even if he doesn't steal 30 bases. Lots of gold glove awards.

So....make that 13 rookies who will all likely make more than a single All-Star appearance in their career! Crazy...

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
TIER 1 - MVP Potential/Ace Potential
Ronald Acuna
Juan Soto
Walker Buehler
Gleyber Torres

TIER 2 - Perennial All-Star (5 WAR) Caliber/Frontline Starter
Shane Bieber
Ozhaino Albies
Jack Flaherty
Mike Soroka
Rafael Devers

TIER 3 - All-Star Potential
Rhys Hoskins
Shohei Ohtani
Victor Robles
Miguel Andujar

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
Austin Meadows, tier 2/3? Any other names that are being overlooked?

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
Austin Meadows, tier 2/3? Any other names that are being overlooked?

i was already planning to post mentioning quite a few who are at least serviceable and that i was surprised no one else had mentioned yet .....granted , they maybe not future superstars , but if nothing else they definitely add lots of depth to the class....

brian anderson
garrett cooper
clint frazier
mitch garver
niko goodrum
lourdes gurriel
scott kingery
ryan mcmahon
austin meadows
franmil reyes
amed rosario
anthony santander
chance sisco
dominic snith
mike tauchmann
alex verdugo

sandy alcantara
max fried
jordan hicks
joey luchesi
tyler mahle
miles mikolas
brandon woodruff
ryan yarbrough

walt_altmen

Aug 1, 2019
In no particular order, this is my only tier:

Soto
Torres
Albies
Soroka
Acuna
Robles

or maybe it is in a particular order. was gonna just keep it to top 5 but robles is amazing defensively. just needs help at the plate.

acuna gets all the hobby love, but his current style of play is very lackadaisical and borderline selfish.

from base running, to his chains hitting him in the face and missing a home run robbing catch, to letting that double happen tonight , trying to be flashy while trying to rob kingery of a home run only to allow an inside the park one to several other instances. he’s already been yanked outta games, benched, scorned in the dugout and nothing seems to be working. not only that, since the 40/40 *personal* record has come into play he’s been striking out left and right and currently leads the mlb because of it. the flash and flare were cute at first but it’s starting to get old real quick. not only with the coaches but with a few of the more rounded players on the team as well. if it continues he could very easily go from being seen as a contributing factor to being a toxic one. and if the tide does turn on him, with some of the attitude that he’s displayed thus far, i could see it getting real ugly from a pr stance.

the person at the top of my list is batting in the 4 spot vs lead off and the exact opposite in every way with one less year of maturity at that. the kid loves the game. lives across the street from the stadium, signs all the time (acuna rarely does) and just seems to respect the game and team more than himself.

Last edited:

Members online