User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Night Crew - Feb 2019! Its as cold as Pete Roses Hall of Fame chances!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't bought a box of cards since 1995. I bought a few packs of the shiny baseball cards in 1998. I started a player collection around 1993 of mostly vintage cards.
    I'm Dave ! Dave's not here man.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blanning71 View Post
    I have realized that more money has been pissed away buying wax than ever before. Over the last two years, I have seen prices rise to absolutely ridiculous levels on boxes and packs. The content hasn't improved and it has really left me with a desire to just pick up single cards now. Let the breakers break and sellers sell cheap. I've got a couple close contacts that have enough singles to keep my mind interested and they normally look out for me when we are bartering. So my goal this year is to leave most of the wax alone and focus on single cards that I'm interested in. So far so good.
    100% agree.

and thats coming from someone who probably overachieved in breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by finestkind View Post
    I haven't bought a box of cards since 1995. I bought a few packs of the shiny baseball cards in 1998. I started a player collection around 1993 of mostly vintage cards.
    1998: the best year to buy the shiney sht! did you get any nice Crusades/Tek/Pinnacle?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope
    I tried and failed as well, but only opened about 3 boxes.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have crap luck

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive had decent luck over the years, but these last two years, when I wanted to open my favorite products, I had to pay through the nose to get wax and didn't get anything of note from them. I feel its just better to stick to the cards rather than wax.
    I collect lots of things. Things that catch my eye. If you got what I need, please let me know

Kyouk20
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am almost exclusively buying singles now, I really haven't busted wax since the 90s. I'll buy into breaks for certain releases but that's limited. I bought a box of 2018 Topps base but that was just to build the set of the year my daughter was born. I get much more satisfaction knowing my money is going to specifically what I want.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blanning71 View Post
    Ive had decent luck over the years, but these last two years, when I wanted to open my favorite products, I had to pay through the nose to get wax and didn't get anything of note from them. I feel its just better to stick to the cards rather than wax.
    I recall reading a few years back (5-7) from Topps (via Beckett) bragging they had "the last Joe Jackson bat jersey" or "one of the final Kiner bat knobs" put into the set. (not sure if those exact players) I thought to myself that if what they were saying was true that everyone was going to have sht luck in 5 years considering the A+ tier of chase cards would no longer be created.

Quote Originally Posted by bstanwood View Post
    I am almost exclusively buying singles now, I really haven't busted wax since the 90s. I'll buy into breaks for certain releases but that's limited. I bought a box of 2018 Topps base but that was just to build the set of the year my daughter was born. I get much more satisfaction knowing my money is going to specifically what I want.
    I would be willing to take a bit of a loss on that Mo Vaughn card now, are you still interested or did you end up buying the other guys copy??

In other news Nick Vincent was signed today. . . to a minor league contract in SF (will make team for sure). Absolutely insane he could not get a good deal, he has always had solid K rate and a career ERA in the low 3s without ever having a season higher than high 3s. He was the first to blame Harper/Machado and not owners. I get his line of thinking, 2 bozos set ridiculously high marks for themselves so every team chasing them has to keep 30-60 mil capspace until they get signed. . . . but then they weren't signed at start of ST. It really screwed over guys like Vincent.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About time you cleaned your room.
    Got that right!! It's only been about 20 years. Ha!
    Mainly wanted to continue my Frank Thomas collection. Also found a 1993 Finest set that I started from a box I bought in '94 or '95...you know, when they could be had for around $250-$300.
    Wanting to buy '96 Select Certified Mirror Gold baseball...commons & stars

Kyouk20
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JVHaste View Post
    I would be willing to take a bit of a loss on that Mo Vaughn card now, are you still interested or did you end up buying the other guys copy??
    I'm good for now, trying to he disciplined with my spending so I've mostly put Mo and Biggio on the back burner.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bstanwood View Post
    I'm good for now, trying to he disciplined with my spending so I've mostly put Mo and Biggio on the back burner.
    Ok, it will probably be around in the future anyways.

I was looking up Mo Vaughns career numbers recently and I didn't remember how good he was. Career avg in the 290s surprised me, I thought he was more all or nothing slugger. If he hadn't had to cut his career short he would possibly be HOF now that Edgar is in.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mitch Haniger getting warmed up, hitting dingers in ST. Anyone wager he will have a better season that Machado? I think he will.

https://twitter.com/PitcherList/stat...098889/video/1
    Last edited by JVHaste; 02-22-2019 at 08:17 PM.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456