Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ugly side of ballpark naming rights...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Atlanta Braves ballpark to be renamed at some point.

SunTrust just announced a merger with BB&T and the press release says the two banks when they become one will operate under a new name and branding, so the SunTrust name won't survive the merger. I have a feeling due to governmental study and approval of the merger, the merger won't close quickly so SunTrust may get to stay on the ballpark through most or all of the 2019 season.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Since we are going with fantasy names or names already taken that the new bank won't be able to use them:

The 99cent Store

(which would be ironic as I doubt you can find anything for 99 cents in the ballpark!)

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I wonder if the naming of a ballpark with a corporate name has ever influenced a person to actually buy that product.

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
I wonder if the naming of a ballpark with a corporate name has ever influenced a person to actually buy that product.
We had Duke Energy Field and everyone uses electricity.......

I really doubt too many people buy a product just because of the sponsorship of a sports stadium. If a study has been done, Im willing to bet its a low number.

Fordman

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

CFD1415

Jun 7, 2013
Mocksville, NC
We had Duke Energy Field and everyone uses electricity.......

I really doubt too many people buy a product just because of the sponsorship of a sports stadium. If a study has been done, Im willing to bet its a low number.

Fordman

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Freedom Card Board mobile app
I'm one of those in the minority I suppose. I support companies that support my teams and yes even stadium rights

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

nappyd

Sep 24, 2012
I'm one of those in the minority I suppose. I support companies that support my teams and yes even stadium rights

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Same here. Then again it's hard not to drive a Mercedes.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I would bet, just like commercials and print ads, it is about getting your name in people's minds. I'm sure a lot of you remember catchy jingles and phone numbers for local ads that ran continuously on TV and radio and may still run to this day.

We are seeing a name change this year in Seattle as well, with Safeco out and T Mobile in. Do baseball fans use Safeco insurance or T Mobile phone service because they sponsored the stadium, probably not. Will that name pop up in someone's head as a possibility if they are making a choice in the future because they went to the stadium one or more times, most likely it will in most cases.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
We are seeing a name change this year in Seattle as well, with Safeco out and T Mobile in. Do baseball fans use Safeco insurance or T Mobile phone service because they sponsored the stadium, probably not. Will that name pop up in someone's head as a possibility if they are making a choice in the future because they went to the stadium one or more times, most likely it will in most cases.

The strangest part of the Seattle change is after 20 years going from "field" to "park" I guess they are trying to make things more informal. Stadium or Field make it sound like the taxpayer has been fleeced for years. . . . luckily we are just going for a stroll in the park! ;)

finestkind

Aug 17, 2008
Massachusetts
The strangest part of the Seattle change is after 20 years going from "field" to "park" I guess they are trying to make things more informal. Stadium or Field make it sound like the taxpayer has been fleeced for years. . . . luckily we are just going for a stroll in the park! ;)

Or make it sound more cute for the millennials.:mad:

finestkind

Aug 17, 2008
Massachusetts
The first city park in the US is Elm Park in Worcester, Mass. Don't give em any ideas about changing the name on that on that please.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Rumor is that Coca Cola is interested in the naming rights.

Interesting. While nothing I've seen said the naming rights are going to be up for grabs, you'd think the merged bank would want to keep the naming rights in order to get impressions to the public about their new name and branding and logo.

If the names are up for grabs, Coca-Cola better get it! When you say Atlanta, I think Coca-Cola more than I do the name of the professional sports there.

I hope Netflix puts their name on my local minor league arena. After paying pennies on the dollar for a local tv/movie production studio, I think they have a few bucks to spare to put their name on the local baseball park. ;)

BTW, I prefer Park for baseball. My best images in my mind are walking through the gates of a baseball venue and looking out over all that cool green grass that makes it look like baseball is being played in one large well-kept park! "Park" is the perfect name for baseball rather than Stadium or Field.

Members online