User Tag List

Thread: $1000k Heritage Auction sale of.....Super Mario Bros.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

$1000k Heritage Auction sale of.....Super Mario Bros.

Should be 100k

Retro video games are a hot collector’s item: A rare, sealed copy of Super Mario Bros. for NES, which was released in 1985, just set a world record when it sold for $100,150 in a recent auction.

This mint-condition copy of Super Mario Bros., which was sold by U.S.-based Heritage Auctions, was the first-ever video game to fetch a six-figure mark for a vintage video game sale, USGamer reported.

From 1985 to 1994, Nintendo reprinted Super Mario Bros., however the first two variations are sticker-sealed copies that were only buyable in Los Angeles and New York during the test market launch of NES. This unique copy of Super Mario Bros. is the only known sticker-sealed copy, and it was granted a Near Mint grade of 9.4 and a “Seal Rating” of A++ by Wata Games, a grading video game company. So basically, it was in incredibly good condition when it reached the auction block.

On Feb. 6, a group of collectors purchased the game, including Jim Halperin, founder and co-chairman of Heritage Auctions of Dallas, Zac Gieg, owner of Just Press Play Video Games in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, and Rich Lecce, pioneering video game collector, and owner of Robert B. Lecce Numismatist Inc of Boca Raton, Florida.

“Super Mario Bros. is not only the most recognizable game of all time, it saved the video game industry in 1985,” Deniz Kahn, Wata Games’ president, said in the Heritage Auctions press release. “In terms of rarity, popularity, and relevance to collectors, this game has it all. Mario is the most recognized fictional or non-fictional character in the world, more so than even Mickey Mouse.”

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Super_Mario_Bros._sold_for__100_K_CREDIT_WATA_GAMES.0.jpeg 
Views:	53 
Size:	77.8 KB 
ID:	86912

Sent from my SM-G950U using Freedom Card Board mobile app
    Last edited by BBCgalaxee; 02-16-2019 at 03:11 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, I love that game but paying 100K just cause it has a sealed sticker is insane. BTW, why are retro Sega Saturn games so expensive? I was always curious about those, but I don't know if I want to drop a couple grand for the 5-10 games I'm interested in.

piledriver1
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Video games come with their own whole universe of minutiae for what makes certain items more desirable than others. Just like a non-card-person can look at two cards and ask,"These two cards have the same picture of the same player, but this one has green foil and that one has red. Why is the green one worth 500 times what the red one is?" and you'd have to explain production numbers, perception of the brand or card company, an other intangible, subjective ideas. Even cards that are extremely apples-to-apples and one is vastly preferable to another and there isn't always a compelling reason.
    Looking for 2011 Topps Marquee Museum autographs, rare Frank Thomases, and any Grady Sizemores I don't have

gracecollector
    Mentioned
    285 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But it's A++. (shaking head)

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $1 or $100k, I'll bet you'd still have to blow into it before you can play!
    Wanting to buy '96 Select Certified Mirror Gold baseball...commons & stars

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty sure it will go on a case to display. Zelda is another that sells well.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3785.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	248.9 KB 
ID:	86960

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Makes me wish I had kept all these when I was younger Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3787.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	276.0 KB 
ID:	86961

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letch77 View Post
    $1 or $100k, I'll bet you'd still have to blow into it before you can play!
    That's what she said.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Philip J. Fry View Post
    That's what she said.
    I KNEW something like this was coming. (Also what she said!)
    Wanting to buy '96 Select Certified Mirror Gold baseball...commons & stars

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Side story:

In 1999-2000, I started hoarding NES games. My then-girlfriend (now wife) had a job working 90-100 hours a week, and I was working 40 (as a tour guide at the Louisville Slugger museum, thank you very much - easiest 8 bucks an hour I'll ever make). In my boredom, I found a system of arbitrage between Funcoland (the huge corporate used-game seller at the time) and a little hippy-owned shop on Bardstown road called Buy-Sell-Trade (2-for-1 trades on anything they carried). Without going into too much detail, I could spend a couple of dollars at Funcoland, and a couple more on gas driving back and forth between the two places, and end up with 10-15 NES carts that I didn't have before. That was also when I discovered eBay (sent a lot of USPS money orders for NES lots, swapping out or selling the ones I already had).

Anyway, after I got married and moved to Europe, I stored away around 340 NES games (along with a few systems and various accessories). If memory serves, that's getting close to half of all games made for the system (unlicensed and all). After four years ion Europe, we needed money for grad school, so I listed most of the games and stuff on eBay in one big lot, which sold for like 2k. Nice little score and return on investment, especially considering that I saved the top loader and the 30 or so games that I actually enjoyed playing (still have them in my bedroom, and they play OK on HD TVs as long as you don't need to use the gun - my sons occasionally ask to play Contra with me, which I always happily oblige).

Side story over.
    HOF auto collector - I'm up to 258 different in my collection (used to have a photobucket link here, but photobucket sucks)

GO ROCKIES!

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How can anyone who has ever paid premium money for pieces of cardboard boo and hiss or scoff at this sale.

RagingAcid
     @RagingAcid
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sportscardtheory View Post
    How can anyone who has ever paid premium money for pieces of cardboard boo and hiss or scoff at this sale.
    People who buy games are different then us!

Mr. Enfuego
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s funny cause I still have 2 NES systems (complete) with the Mario/Duck hunt game 🤣

"Are you crying? Are you crying? There's no crying in Baseball!!" - Tom Hanks.

JEBJJA29
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still have Sega Genesis hooked up in my son’s room. We play some of the old sports games still because he beats me in PS4 sports games but I OWN HIM in Sega!