Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Sealed 1989 Bowman Tiffany set — Bust it or don’t

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
Every once in a while, I’ll search local craigslist, letgo, and offerup listings for sports stuff. Most of the time it’s just junk, but recently came across an ad on OfferUp for a “baseball card” for $475. I was excited to see it looked like a 1989 Bowman Tiffany set. Sure enough...

It was a month old, and the first time I ever found something worthwhile, so I figured it’s probably gone. I sent a message, and he still had it.

We met up, negotiated a price, and now it’s mine. The only question now is, do I open it?

The box is in pretty good shape with one minor ding (about the circumference of a ballpoint pen cap) where the cellophane is torn.

Obviously, the financial risks are there

The boring guarantee:
Resell sealed set for $600ish after fees, no risk

The potential awesome:
Black label BGS 10 - who knows?
BGS 10 - $12k+
PSA 10 - $1600

The meh, okay I guess
PSA 9 - $300ish

The probable letdown
PSA 8 - $120ish
PSA 7 - kick me
PSA 6 - shoot me

Other possibilities
Griffey is gone, set resealed (offerup is still the Wild West)
Griffey is destroyed or not even worth grading
There was a printing error, and 542 Griffeys are in the set.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
Other possibilities
Griffey is gone, set resealed (offerup is still the Wild West)

This would be my main concern. Did you discuss this with the seller or just price? What price did you settle on? If you are confident that it has not been tampered with, I would break it and grade the top dozen cards at PSA. Good luck, let us know what you decide to do and the results.

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
Well, that was disappointing. At least it was in there. At first, it felt like it wasn’t going to be in there at all — cellophane seemed glued on, cards weren’t in numerical order... since I’ve never opened one of these, I had no idea what red flags to look for.

Anyway, it was in there. Centering isn’t great.. and it just doesn’t feel like it’s better than 8-9. After the cost of grading, and the risk that it comes back an 8, I think I should probably just be done with this whole experiment.

EE4482E1-E529-4DAC-8B4F-BB761D4A8737.jpeg

8C68F23A-E6E3-4785-A871-B6B44BB26F41.jpeg

Lesson to all, KEEP THESE SEALED.

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
Well, that was disappointing.

Anyway, it was in there. Centering isn’t great.. and it just doesn’t feel like it’s better than 8-9. After the cost of grading, and the risk that it comes back an 8, I think I should probably just be done with this whole experiment.

View attachment 86972

View attachment 86973

Lesson to all, KEEP THESE SEALED.

Slow down grasshopper. Have you bothered to check completed PSA 10 listings and really looked at what falls into those guidelines? I've never graded with PSA before but your example doesn't look to be any different than the ones listed. Are there any corner or surface issues? Obviously the Griffey is the biggest one but there are others in the set that do well at a high grade .......... Martinez, Jackson, Smoltz, Sheffield, Venture and some of the inserts, are all worth taking a closer look at. Are there any members here that grade with PSA that are willing to give there opinions on these matters?

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
Slow down grasshopper. Have you bothered to check completed PSA 10 listings and really looked at what falls into those guidelines? I've never graded with PSA before but your example doesn't look to be any different than the ones listed. Are there any corner or surface issues? Obviously the Griffey is the biggest one but there are others in the set that do well at a high grade .......... Martinez, Jackson, Smoltz, Sheffield, Venture and some of the inserts, are all worth taking a closer look at. Are there any members here that grade with PSA that are willing to give there opinions on these matters?

LOL, it just felt like it was Christmas morning, and instead of the Red Rider BB gun, I got a bunny suit.

I ended up paying $350 for the set. I might still go the PSA route with the Griffey, and the lesser guys... unless someone here wants to buy the whole set from me and do the legwork?

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
LOL, it just felt like it was Christmas morning, and instead of the Red Rider BB gun, I got a bunny suit.

I ended up paying $350 for the set. I might still go the PSA route with the Griffey, and the lesser guys... unless someone here wants to buy the whole set from me and do the legwork?

Not interested in the set but I would be interested in buying some of the raw singles.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma

If you decide to break it up I'd be interested in the Ozzie Smith and a few other singles raw.

raddison1972

Jan 4, 2013
Pearland, Texas

Thanks for sharing your adventure with the board! If you do wind up breaking up your set to recoup some $ I sent you a PM for a couple team sets. Maybe your bunny suit can still turn a profit!

Members online

Latest posts