Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

RIP Don Newcombe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Another one of our legends has died. Condolences to the Dodger faithful and his family.

Aug 7, 2008
Tampa, FL
RIP to the person who broke the US color barrier and a LEGEND in my hometown of Nashua...

Here’s how the local paper honored him today- paper is behind a paywall so I copied it as it’s a great read, as is the book Dem Bums by Steve Daly if your haven’t read it.

“One of the men who played a huge part in Holman Stadium being historic has passed away.

Indeed, a piece of Nashua sports history was lost on Tuesday when it was announced by the Los Angeles Dodgers that former Nashua Dodgers pitcher and Brooklyn Dodger great Don Newcombe passed away due to an illness at the age of 92.

Newcombe and the late Nashua Dodger catcher Roy Campanella broke the U.S. baseball color barrier, playing in the first racially integrated team, the 1946 Nashua Dodgers. He played in Nashua in the 1946 and 1947 seasons before being promoted to the Dodgers farm team the Montreal Royals of the Class AAA International League in 1948.

His mark in Nashua is commemorated, along with that of Campanella, at Holman Stadium. His number 24 is retired on the left field brick wall along with Robinson’s and Campanella’s, done by the independent league Nashua Pride who played at Holman from 1998-2008. Also, and one of the roads leading to the stadium is Don Newcombe Way, and a mural commemorating Newcombe (along with one for Campanella) is on the stadium wall at the entrance, an idea put together and fundraised for a couple of years ago by former Nashua Silver Knights assistant general manager Cheryl Lindner. The Silver Knights of the Futures Collegiate Baseball League are Holman’s current tenants.

Newcombe returned to Holman Stadium on April 15, 1997, as part of a local and national commemoration of the 50th anniversary of Jackie Robinson, who first played in the Dodgers system in Montreal,breaking the Major League color barrier with the Dodgers in 1947. Newcombe spoke on national television from Daniel Webster College, who helped put together his return, and later appeared at a Daniel Webster game that afternoon at the stadium. His visit was orchestrated by both the college and former Telegraph assistant sports editor Steve Daly, who wrote a book on the Nashua Dodgers entitled “Dem Little Bums”.

The Holman Stadium community reacted to Newcombe’s passing on Tuesday.

“It’s sad to see one of the icons who helped integrate baseball in the U.S. Through Nashua pass away,” Nashua Park-Recreation Superintendent Nick Caggiano said on Wednesday.

The Silver Knights also issued a statement on Tuesday. They attempted to see if Newcombe could be part of last summer’s celebration of Holman’s 80th birthday, but Newcombe was too ill to travel.

“It is with great sadness that the Silver Knights comment on such a legend passing,” the team said. “His portrait hangs outside the front entrance of the stadium. His number 24 is retired on the outfield wall, and we drive down Newcombe Way every day.

“Don Newcombe stood for so much and together with Roy Campanella integrated the game right here in Nashua. Although sad, it is special that the passing of this great man in February coincides with Black History Month. What he was able to accomplish is so important to remember and appreciate for generations to come. His legacy will continue to live on with us.”

In his two seasons in Nashua, the 6-4, 220-pound hard-throwing Newcombe went 14-4, 2.21 in 155 innings in 1946, and 19-6, 2.91 in 223 innings in 1947.

In the Majors, Newcombe was a four-time All-Star and won 20 games three diffeent times, his best season coming in 1956 when whe went 27-7 and won the Cy Young Award and National League MVP.

But Newcombe, Campanella and Robinson changed the game of baseball forever, and the Nashua pair reportedly kept in touch with Robinson, while he was in Montreal and then Brooklyn, while the duo were in Nashua.

“We came up with a strategy,” Newcombe would later say. “We knew the impact we were attempting would have. We had to endure. (Robinson’s) character, his backbone, his guts – those were the keys. Jackie was the leader under Mr. Rickey.”

It was a challenge, but Newcombe and Campanella always spoke highly of how they were treated by the residents of Nashua. Their opponents on the diamond were another story.

“I remember in the New England League, a catcher threw dirt in Roy’s face,” Newcombe recalled. “He said, ‘If you do that again, I’ll personally take your arm out of its socket.’ They challenged us. They did anything they could to break down the idea.”

Newcombe pitched in the ***** Leagues beginning in 1944, and was signed by Dodgers executive Branch Rickey. His Dodger career ended in 1958 with a trade to the Cincinnati Reds. He later pitched for the Cleveland Indians and also in Japan, his career ending in 1962. In his 10-year Major League career, Newcombe went 149-90 with a 3.56 earned run average. He continued to work after his career for the Dodgers as the team’s Director of Community Affairs and later as a special adviser. Newcombe also acknowledged that alcoholism helped his career end prematurely, and he worked for drug and alcohol prevention programs as well. One of the people he was able to help was former Dodger infield great Maury Wills.

“What I have done after my baseball career and being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track and they become human beings again, means more to me than all the things I did in baseball,” Newcombe reportedly said.”

Thanks,
Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts