Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Topps presents to you, MLB OFFICIAL EVENT USED......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
I bet they wanted the jersey he is wearing on the card but either he or the Padres said nope. Instead of redesigning it into a simple non-used-item card, they had someone grab the tablecloth.

I agree that the card would make a little more sense if the cloth showed in the photo. Just a little.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
1.Topps gets a pic where his face is in the shadows and it looks like he is about to sneeze.
2.They then color the rest of the card like a Taco Bell bathroom from the 90s.
3."signs largest FA contract in NA sports history" I don't think this is true. If they're talking about per year then guys like Lebron and Trout make more, and if they're talking about total $ then guys like Canelo and Schlongcarlo make more.
4.Centering of the swatch is just bad... should be more to the left on the card.
5.If you do a card about a milestone moment just put the date the moment happened, NOT when you printed the card?!

6.Make sure the rarest parallel has worse colors than the more common ones. This is a Topps trademark for sure.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
A couple thoughts. Is this lame? Absolutely. But it isn’t any different that movie set relics which have been a thing in non sport sets for almost as long as GU has been a thing if not longer so I’m not sure why so many people are aghast by this honestly and I’m as big of a Topps critic as anyone. I hate them. But this ain’t that terrible. And the prices are just as ridiculous as any non base Topps Now card always goes for. If anything be pissed at the price and the people who pay it that keep motivating Topps to continue the ideas they should do away with but go overkill on (like people who buy Gypsy Queen or Opening Day)

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Very true. People are welcome to collect what makes them happy and this will for some people. I just hope that it doesn't sell out. Because you are correct, a sellout motivates Topps to keep spewing this junk. But then again, if it did sell out, I guess it really wasn't junk after all if enough people pay those prices. I guess put me in the camp that thinks it is stupid and I wouldn't spend MY money on it, but no disrespect to those that would.

A couple thoughts. Is this lame? Absolutely. But it isn’t any different that movie set relics which have been a thing in non sport sets for almost as long as GU has been a thing if not longer so I’m not sure why so many people are aghast by this honestly and I’m as big of a Topps critic as anyone. I hate them. But this ain’t that terrible. And the prices are just as ridiculous as any non base Topps Now card always goes for. If anything be pissed at the price and the people who pay it that keep motivating Topps to continue the ideas they should do away with but go overkill on (like people who buy Gypsy Queen or Opening Day)

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
Very true. People are welcome to collect what makes them happy and this will for some people. I just hope that it doesn't sell out. Because you are correct, a sellout motivates Topps to keep spewing this junk. But then again, if it did sell out, I guess it really wasn't junk after all if enough people pay those prices. I guess put me in the camp that thinks it is stupid and I wouldn't spend MY money on it, but no disrespect to those that would.

The worst part is it didn't just get shared by Beckett and cardboard media, but mainstream sports media Yahoo. Even though 99+% of collectors probably hate this card I think it makes us all look like nuthuggers to outsiders. :?

On a better note, one poster on said Yahoo article wrote something like "if anyone buys this I will track you down and shove it down your throat" LOL :lol:

mhcook

Feb 22, 2011
As much as I hate to support this idea. I really like the idea as opposed to any other player worn or event worn cards. I would rather have anything from the specific event compared to player worn jerseys that were just thrown on for 10 seconds and not linked to any event. I don't know why they couldn't get him to change hats or something during the press conference to have something more significant but not so significant the player or team wanted to keep it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Freedom Card Board mobile app

raddison1972

Jan 4, 2013
Pearland, Texas
The day they announced Manny to Padres, I had this happy feeling that my favorite team dodged a 10 year problem! Now thanks to this thread I learned that my pocket book dodged a bullet as I love to collect White Sox stuff!

cardcop05

Nov 15, 2018
NYC
Vetting Game/Event Used Cards

Who has ever contacted any card company and asked for a copy of the Letter Of Authenticity that comes with nearly ALL game/event used items?

I did this is 2001 and caused Pacific to lose all their brand new baseball licensing because they used ALL FAKE jerseys and bats and ADMITTED IT to the MLBPA!

Then I busted Playoff for using FAKE Bradley Horne (busted by the FBI for selling nothing but FAKE game-used items) JUNK. Here's the 2002 Leaf Certified ORIGINAL game-used info sheet, note Brad Horne's name on JOE MONTANA & JOHN RIGGINS jerseys (those are both totally fake jerseys!), plus the others making up 10% of the jerseys used in 2002 products.

Just click on the picture 3-5 times and it becomes readable! They also would but one real (maybe) jersey (Daunte Culpepper) and a brand new one of the same player and put ALL the swatches in the same big bag! TWO FOR THE PRICE OF ONE! I watched the ladies do this with my own eyes as I had to share an office with them before they moved to Arlington, TX from Grand Prairie, TX.

02LeafJSYb.jpg

So PLEASE, can we get members of this board to call card companies and ask for copies of LOA's for rare game/event used cards you own! THEN POST WHAT HAPPENED ON THIS BOARD!

I'd gladly do it again, but I'm far too sick.

Last edited:

Members online