Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Large submitter Selling Altared cards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CubsfanP

May 21, 2012
Greenwood, IN
Hi,

I hope it is ok to post the link to another board, but i do feel it is an important one.

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1276110

There is a member who discovered pretty alarming evidence of this seller having many altered cards in stock and for sale. While the final outcome is still ongoing, i think there are some takeaways which the hobby needs to address:

- How can BGS/PSA combat this? For serial numbered cards, it can be traced - for non-serial numbered card, less so.
- Are the grading companies even willing to take steps to improve it?
- in light of the findings, how can we put any confidence in buying graded cards?

carrsallstars

Sep 16, 2009
That thread is a must read. Long, but it's like a Lifetime movie for card collectors. Set aside some time and enjoy.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Side note, tonedef2008 is obviously that board's mod's second account used to create support for his awful actions as a "mod" (more like a BO corporate shill). All tonedef2008 ever does is blow Houdini and attack anyone who says anything against him. Strange.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
Side note, tonedef2008 is obviously that board's mod's second account used to create support for his awful actions as a "mod" (more like a BO corporate shill). All tonedef2008 ever does is blow Houdini and attack anyone who says anything against him. Strange.

Cyber bully smh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
That thread is a must read. Long, but it's like a Lifetime movie for card collectors. Set aside some time and enjoy.

When I see a thread with that many pages, I usually just read the first few and call it good. I actually made it through the whole thread this time (and glad I did)....2 hours later! Exciting Saturday night for me! lol

nappyd

Sep 24, 2012
That guy at the bottom of page 5 thought the thread had run its course... Then another 15 pages showed up😂

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Thanks for turning me on to this thread guys. I enjoyed it immensely. It ate up my entire morning, when I really should have been doing other things, but it was just too good. The Iceman cometh! :)

This SSI guy, wow. It's so rare when a scumbag actually gets his just desserts, but a beautiful thing when it happens.

Now what the hell was it that I was going to do this morning?

Randy Shields

Aug 20, 2008
OH-IO
If I had a nickel for every time someone on a messageboard was threatened with legal action I might have been able to win that shilled Brady
RC from PWCC. Also I find it interesting that this guy Billy from SSI, aka Iceman1982 attended the same Beckett Industry Summit last year along with Keith Koenig and Kevin Burge...

And although I do not consider myself in any way, shape or form to be a conspiracy theorist, I've always thought that if you pump enough money into BGS or PSA and even perhaps SGC year after year you've gained yourself some "special attention" from any of them in any number of ways.

As far as the thread, Bill was acting so self-righteous and indignant at first only to eventually become extremely defensive, belittle the so-called "little people" in the hobby, threaten everyone under the sun with lawsuits and of course later create the new Iceman account where at first he played stupid only to again attack the "little people" with pointing out the fact that many of them hardly any cards up on eBay or COMC. What a child!!

Also while I was reading all of this I couldn't help but think that if a guy robs a store and let's say he has you hold the merchandise for him knowingly or not and the police get a tip and come knocking at your door, are you going to be arrested for being in possession of stolen property? I can see a parallel here with buying/purchasing trimmed and altered cards and then throwing your hands up in the air proclaiming "I didn't know!" With stolen property you'd be put in a cage. Maybe not so with trimmed cards but I think you get my point.

Long story short, he probably damn well trims them himself or has some henchman do it for him, idk, but really there's only a couple of things worth noting that I can see. 1st it's great to find out who these crooks are and never purchase from them. 2nd it's still going to profit anyone who enjoys getting cards graded from the big 3 if the grades come back high. Unfortunately it is what it is and there's probably not much that a post like this on BO is going to do to effect or deter trimmers in the future as it just doesn't happen. You'd think that it could be somewhat of a deterrent for serial #'d cards in particular but most people don't do this kind of investigation when purchasing cards so I would imagine the vast majority would just simply fly under the radar. My optimism here is that I'd like the think/believe that this kind of practice is in the extreme minority. Perhaps I'm naïve, perhaps not. What does happen is it will cause some people to stop grading and join the grading companies hate group but again I can't imaging this practice of altering cards to dissipate or in any way decline for that matter. Props though to SuperDan and the other poster for all of their homework in putting a spotlight on this guy.

Members online